Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hazo posted:

I'm watching a rerun of the "The Days of Our Years" short and had kind of an interesting realization.

I work in infrastructure and environmental protection (specifically, underground utilities), and the message from this 1955 PSA is fundamentally the exact same message STILL being repeated when it comes to horrific accidents used as examples for safety standards or negligence thereof.

I actually just today got back from a typical industry conference, where inevitably there will be a keynote speaker who was almost killed/permanently disfigured by a gas or buried powerline accident, and was jarred to hear so many of the same themes in a 70-year-old Union Pacific safety video.

Even the exact same verbiage is used ("it only took one second," "he'd done this a thousand times before," "it would be okay just this time," "he can never take back that moment," "if he had only just...," )

as in stories by Cliff Meidl (a former olympian who jackhammered into an unmarked power line, fell into the hole, was pinned down by the jackhammer, and electrocuted to the point where his knees literally exploded)

or Brandon Schroeder (a journeyman electrican who was taught that OSHA requirements were flexible and was in a hurry for a project and skipped getting the right protective gear while restarting an electrical main, and accidentally dropped a live cable into a circuit box, causing an arc flash explosion that destroyed his hand, burned more than 60% of his body, and blinded his coworker).

I just thought it was really fascinating how the cheesy scare video point is exactly the same as presentations today because we are horribly habitually lazy and negligent in the construction industry.

edit: I'm a moron for making a semi-heavy seriouspost on the night of the public Gizmoplex premiere! Oh well

I also love the other railroad safety short they did, "Last Clear Chance" which focuses on public safety around railroads. "Can you identify this bucket full of your brother?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hazo posted:

I found a rare and weird re-caption:

Before flushing them Beyond Atlantis, Bonesy says, "I wonder what Emily smells like." Ardy shuts him down by saying "Oh Bonesy, don't go there."

The captions say, "Oh, maybe later, buddy"

Maybe Joel thought it was too creepy?

Munchie still had a plot. I'm trying hard to think of a movie that had the same amount of flailing despair as Manos and I really can't. Catalina Caper maybe?

Red Zone Cuba

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Everybody's having fun and smoking!
And the dogs are eating too!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Narsham posted:

I’ve rarely seen The Creeping Terror mentioned in these conversations, and it is horrendous: Voice over instead of dialogue, monster that’s a carpet the cast have to actively crawl into in order to be “eaten,” so deadly dull one of the host segments is just them listening to the incidental music.

Oh yeah that's an excellent choice, an unpleasant little film all around. Bobby ... Bobby ... Bobby!!!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

WEED OF DECEIT

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Why, this terror isn't creeping, it's moving along quite briskly!

I SAID DR BRADFORD ARRIVED

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Failson posted:

My tires are filled with water.

WHAT?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

oh OH: Schtemlo!

He's Lawrence of Pasadena

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
You said bowling ball earlier, what was that about?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I brought my Drake posted:

AWOL esoterica forum superstar Gutter Phoenix introduced me to an author who interviewed folks like Ray Dennis Steckler and Ted V. Mikels: https://www.researchpubs.com/shop/p/incredibly-strange-films Now back in stock, according to the publisher's website. Totally worth 25 bucks.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If it's anything like the J.G. Ballard book they did that I had years ago (and subsequently lost during a move), I'd highly recommend it.

yeah it's really good!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The tender touch of Coleman Francis.

Night train, to drop the jeep offfff

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sash! posted:

I've always wanted more lyrics to this version

Everybody's having fun and smoking ...
And the dogs are eating too!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Marines, we are leaving ... :smith:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I love the Yelling Channel

Tonight, on Old Lady Gets Killed!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Hey, they shot this with a 3mm camera!

I said you're not supposed to eat 'em!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Chili peppers burn my gut

You magnificent son of a bitch!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
apropos of nothing sometimes HITLER'S DEATH CAR will pop into my head, I can't even remember what it's from

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Funky Valentine posted:

I think that's one of the stock riffs they break out whenever they see a vaguely 40s looking car.

it makes me giggle regardless

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Rock and roll martian ...

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Merlin's Shop and Sidehackers are both top tier imo

Today at 4 on Power Magazine

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DMorbid posted:

A Day at the Fair, one of my favorite shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEY9uRknRRc

oh hell yeah

"What's this?" "EVIL!"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's very much of a piece with most mainstream centrist "political satire" of the day- everyone agreed that taxes sucked and the deficit is scary and "gridlock" is a bad thing, the whole joke is that it's hitting on familiar "those clowns in congress" beats.

The Mike/CC years got into a lot of weirdly focused stuff like that, like having an entire segment making fun of Love, American Style or the "Turn your Crank to Frank" bit which was just because a lot of radio stations were going country.

There's this real clear and tight energy I really enjoy from the early Mike seasons. I'm a Joel partisan and some of the later sci-fi channel episodes are all timers, but that midseries stretch is just perfect for picking a random episode to watch. Howzabout shining my steak over here?!?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I love that there was a bit of overlap with Mike hosting before Trace left. Laserblast is a perfect episode imo

Red Zone Cuba is such an awful nothing movie and such a riveting episode for me

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Morter posted:

Something about the way Mike says 'Go Packers...' at the end of that episode that gives me a bit of goosebumps. :allears:

Just realized I love the very final riffs of a lot of episodes, especially the winsome fadeouts. Like the end of Angel's Revenge, "Get down, boogie oogie oogie, get down ..."

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Hamlet will return in: Thunderball

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
"I'm an icky elf!"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I Am Fowl posted:

I just rewatched Pod People and I feel like the kid is at least partly responsible for all those murders. If he hadn't stolen that egg, the alien mom wouldn't have gone wandering and killing. His uncle would still be alive, along with Trumpy's mom! God, that kid sucks.

"It's called evil, kid."

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Captured pilots are paraded before the citizens!

Admiral Halsey joins the fun!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Crazy Ferret posted:

But I'm not an alien!

Big men! Putting screwdrivers into things. Turning them, and Ad-justing them!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Dworkin-fest '78!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
So- soup ... maker?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sardonik posted:

Trumpy, you can do stupid things!

"It's called evil, kid"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Yes, these river bottoms ...

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I can't really quote it but the groans from the guys after the cut to the old farmer getting the poo poo hosed off him

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I DON'T CARE YOU GO HOME NOW

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Hey, hot shrub action!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Morter posted: