Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT:

I recommend watching Black Scorpion or Robot Holocaust. They're probably the most watchable of the Season I episodes.
I have a soft spot for Moon Zero Two and Untamed Youth. The last four of the season ate probably the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm doing the same thing. It's taken me seven years but I just watched Hamlet. Honestly, if you have it as the background while you're doing something else it's not bad. It's been a long process.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm a fan of Home Economics Story, the male version: Why Study Industrial Arts? and Are You Ready For Marriage?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If people don't like sketches then start them on Rifftrax and then transition to MST3K.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Franchescanado posted:

Why? MST3k has better movies.

Edit: Unless we're talking Rifftrax Live, but that has sketches/bits.

I'll have to disagree with that as there are a vast number of movies in both shows of varying qualities. There a good movies in both. I'd recommend Guy From Harlem, Ghosthouse, and Abraxas as on par with many MST3K episodes.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I saw the movie at the one theater it was playing at in my town. I enjoyed it tremendously.

My first memories of watching the show was going to my relative's house for Thanksgiving and seeing Pod People during a Turkey Day marathon because we didn't have cable. I'm sure I saw it before when we went over to other people's house but I can't remember any specifics.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

BigRed0427 posted:

iTunes, and does Netflix still have some up? I know they did years ago.

Netflix does not currently have any of the original episodes available for streaming. You can get some on DVD if you really want to.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Why is Hamlet in the top 100?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Half the letters on the old show were from adults anyway.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Bicyclops posted:

Cambot does actually riff in two episodes. He does a bunch of images making fun of the racing in Sidehackers and he cries in one of them when a security camera gets shot.

That's from Danger!! Death Ray and it's not in the theater but in the final host segment after the movie ends.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Danger!! Death Ray is a great episode.

My favorite part is when that Abraham Lincoln looking guy jumps out the window. Crow's, "olé!" is just perfect.

Someone made a gif out of that moment that I wish I had saved.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Glad to see Hamlet at the bottom where it belongs.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If you have Hulu they have 40 episodes available. If you watch all the ones on Netflix head over there. Also Shout Factory has posted quite a few annotated episodes on YouTube.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Let's not forget Toaster Strudel Tom Servo from Devil Doll.

This message board post may help you: http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/21433/episodes-unique-unusual-theater-segments

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

PrinceRandom posted:

That's one of my favorites. It was so obviously thrown together either for TV or from TV footage. So many plotlines

Like several other "movies" it was a failed tv pilot.

For a while after they called every propeller plane "Petey" too.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Slowly making my way through the Netflix collection. For some reason, the Hercules movies put me to sleep, and Vs the Moon Men was especially bad. The riffs are funny and I still love the interspersed bits throughout, but they're just ponderous. The 10 minute sandstorm scene at the end didn't help at all. :shrug:
They put Hercules to sleep too.

Pretty sure that's a plot point in at least two of those movies.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's not good enough to be enjoyable and it's not bad enough to be laughable. It's a total nothing movie.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Egbert Souse posted:

Directed by John Sturges, director of The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Bad Day at Black Rock, and Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Though, I'd imagine the original film Marooned is substantially better than whatever Film Ventures International did to it. Alfonso Cuaron is apparently a big fan of it.

I doubt FVI added footage of the astronauts dying, since that's a large part of the movie being such a slog.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If you have Hulu there are 40 more episodes available. Not to mention the episodes on Shout Factory's YouTube channel.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I wonder if they ever recorded The Doll Squad which I saw them do live and was very funny.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I feel like Carnival Magic has at least one thing that Manos doesn't: actual on set audio from the actual actors on screen.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They should have used the Thanksgiving version of this episode today.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Hooray! Can't wait.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Girl in Lover's Lane is one of my personal favorites. Even if the ending makes you want to punch the filmmakers. The host segment with the train songs goes to a nice dark place with Crow's song.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Are you allowed to mention Rifftrax? Because they've got plenty of Xmas riffs. From the live Christmas Shorts Show to Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny to Santa's Village of Madness to the one with the clown from Kansas City to the Bridget and Mary Jo Christmas specials.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The first host segment in The Touch of Satan is Christmas related as it's about wassail from the Christmas carol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG9QRX1SX9k

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You're thinking of Laserblast. A completely different kind of lovely movie. A lovely sci-fi movie instead of a lovely '60's spy movie.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Q: What's the oldest movie the Brains have riffed? The most recent?
A: In 1942, both 103-THE MAD MONSTERand 105-THE CORPSE VANISHES were released. Technically, the oldest is the 1936 serial 406S-UNDERSEA KINGDOM. The most recent were filmed in 1995: 904-WEREWOLF and 1003-MERLIN'S SHOP OF MYSTICAL WONDERS.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's definitely better than the first and KTMA seasons. It starts a little rough with Reptilicus feeling overstuffed but overall I enjoyed it. I didn't watch that guys video but maybe he just doesn't like Jonah Ray as a media personality?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Every time they've reriffed a movie that MST3K did they've been pretty good about not reusing jokes.

It's not just a live performance of the original show.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 3, 2018

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Several of their previous live shows are available on Amazon Prime. Why not give those a watch and you'll see that most of your fears are unfounded.

Some dingus at your theater might start ridding but yell at them or get an employee. And the people at the actual theater where the live show us broadcast from haven't yelled anything that I can remember. Sometimes a joke or even a moment in the film itself hits really well and they might skip a riff but only because of positive audience response.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Was there any release of the shows from last year? Like as a script or a lovely cell phone video on YouTube?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Anyone else going to tonight's live show in Saint Louis?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Dawgstar posted:

That said I quite enjoy Untamed Youth and Hercules in Love from season one - they got to do a Mamie Van Doren movie* and a Jayne Mansfield movie but sadly never a Marilyn Monroe flick.

*Maybe two. I think Mamie is in Girls Town.**
**Gigantor!

Hercules in Live is from Season Eleven. That said the second half of season one is more enjoyable than the first half. Moon Zero Two, Untamed Youth, Women of the Prehistoric Planet and Robot Holocaust are all good episodes.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

CapnBry posted:

With intrigue ;-*

I'm kinda jealous of all the people whose families are dead or estranged because I've never been able to watch a Turkey Day Marathon.

The Shout Factory marathon is early this year. So you can pretend it's Thanksgiving and watch that on Sunday.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
That probably has more to do with the better fidelity of modern TV's/computers compared to 90s televisions than growing up. You didn't notice because it wasn't really visible before.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They probably used Pitch to get Paul Chaplin in there. But I agree Ortega and Torgo had more memorable contributions.

Too bad they only used one version of Cambot. Could have used Jerry and Sylvia too.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Proteus Jones posted:

poo poo you're right. I read that as 122 minutes, not 1 hour 22 mins.

I just did a quick check on a couple of them

Mac and Me : 95 mins

The Day Time Ended: 79 mins

So it looks like they are cutting the movie run time down to about 75 mins. Some of that is probably shaved with not playing the credits, but they're probably cutting scenes as well like every other season of MSTK. (even if prior episodes were closer to 90-100 minutes). No idea why they settled on 80 mins.
was the Mac and Me McDonald's party cut short? It seemed like a very abrupt transition to Mac and Eric rolling through back yards.

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm with you on that, too. I mean S01-S10 a lot of that was having to fit the 2 hours including ad-space (and removing nudity and things). But other than a really tight budget, I can't think of why the arbitrary time limit.
Maybe they don't want to over stay their welcome? But they're already promoting this as a crazy binge watch. They should go all the way with it and add shorts to pad the episodes up to 2 hours.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The live show had a fun bit with Dr. St. Phibes and actually had a video that explained her.

Also someone posted a news article about the balloon parade. Apparently they had bad weather and the balloons we're lovely to begin with.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Proteus Jones posted:

That must have been cleared up, since I could swear I've seen it on the Pluto.tv MST3K channel multiple times.
Yes, it's also part of the current collection of episodes on Netflix. Presumably, they worked it out when it was released on DVD.