Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Snorb posted:

Second funniest. The funniest was the entire interocitor sequence (starting from "We'll start here!" "At the goofy clown face!" and ending "Oh my God, MY WAFFLES! Oh, the humanity!")
Contact Dr. Jemima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So like... do I need to give VHX.tv my credit card information in order to view this stuff? Because it says I have access to it but it also wants my credit card and given that the button says "BUY NOW $999,999.00" I'm kind of hesitant. Is there something dumb here I'm missing with this podunk video source?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh I'd put in my code for the ten free episodes, the ones for this stuff were elsewhere. Big joke on ol' Nessus alright, scrolling down is the new "reading the instructions."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine part of why the host segments might've felt cramped was that whole bit early on. If that's not going to be universal they'll have a few more minutes to work with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The weirdest one I see is "I hate, hate, HATE the new Gypsy! They have completely erased her character!" because she was just a huge clacking car seat saying "Richard Baseheart" in a weird falsetto before. It's such a weird hill to die on. I've also seen a lot of "Crow's eyes don't move anymore!" which... they do?? All the time?? And "Felicia Day is acting too much" feels weird when she's actually almost low-key compared to Trace, who absolutely relished a sort of campy, intentionally overdoing kind of comedy.
I think some of this is just the fact that now you're twenty years older and of course you know the premise, so you aren't getting your mind completely blown out the way that you did when you first encountered MST3k. Or whatever. I think this is a common element when things get revived or whatever; there are often very real problems but they all kind of get into this alloy with "It's new/different/I'm not a child any more and I HATE IT"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

Having watched Starcrash on its own prior to MST3K, I can safely say that no, there really isn't an explanation mentioned in the movie. Star Wars had a magic guy, so obviously they had to have one too.
When I saw Starcrash for the first time I thought he was a riff on Amuro Ray from Gundam.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd love to see them cover basically anything that's been on Best of The Worst. Hell, just have the Red Letter Media guys pick the movies next season.
Does this mean they have to introduce a subplot where Tom has a dead hooker in the basement?

HannibalBarca posted:

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.
That might be some kind of a legal thing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Most of the films this season seem to be either from MGM or New Horizons (Roger Corman's company), which both license a bunch of stuff for video to Shout! Factory.

They should do The Great Gabbo, if they want to get into really old stuff. It's a terrible early talkie with Erich von Stroheim as a ventriloquist.
If Tom Servo declares that German science is the greatest in the WOOOOOOOOORLD I will die and go to Heaven.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

So.my buddy is interviewing the director of star crash on Thursday on his radio show. Any questions you guys have to send him?
Ask him if there are any Barbarella connections

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reading the reviews, there seems to be a lot of Patton Oswalt hate. What gives? Is this some complex drama? Is he the foe of the Internet hitler brigade?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

They seem to have a hands-off approach with House of Cards and other shows, they'd be crazy to interfere with a show that costs $6 million for 20 hours of content.
I'd like to think that Joel would be canny enough to be doing something like holding out to get *two* seasons worth funded or something like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Compendium posted:

I recognize a lot of the pop songs used in this season and they never annoyed me because it's used every other episode.

I remember a TLC song and Baby Got Back being used in a Mike episodes so pop song references aren't a new terrible thing.

Don't go chasing waterfalls!
I saw that one when I was young, so it's cool and new and exciting and hilarious.

I did not see this season, and now I am middle aged and cynical. Strangely enough, I feel it sucks and was trying too hard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Compendium posted:

Wait, you didn't watch this season and still think it was trying too hard or you think the old episodes you saw were trying too hard?? I don't get it.

Also Agent from H.A.R.M. was all about the Prince jokes too.
I'm sardonically describe one part of the probable phenomenon of "it's new and it sucks." I also observed this about Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull which - while definitely flawed - did not have Winnie, a character who is remarkable primarily for delivering lines better in Chinese than in English, despite being white.

I can see the complaint that they were in a hurry and I think it does weaken the product, though I don't think it weakens it materially. I do think the riffs are solid and the show would stack up to any season of the old show. It's unfair to expect it to match a greatest hits lineup.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Punisher came out of that whole 70s-era angst over rising crime, the same place where things like Dirty Harry and Death Wish came from, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I do suspect Joel had the wit to take a few grand and go hire himself a professional adviser on these things. I've seen a lot of people do kickstarters or similar that have gone nowhere, but by Gosh if Penny Arcade can milk a business plan, why not our cow town puppet show?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Timby posted:

Again, they also don't have the however many millions of dollars in crowdfunding that they had from the Kickstarter. For a season 12, they have whatever Netflix is willing to pay, and the amount Netflix is willing to pay is directly proportional to the answer to the question, "How many subscriptions will this generate?"
Are you saying that the pro move would be to unsub, then resub en masse when they announce a new season?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

IUG posted:

Yeah, my wife and I collect them and I can't even tell anyone else what the appeal of them are.

However, I did say when I got the Tom/Crow Pops that they were some of the most accurate looking figures they made. Besides Tom Servo's slightly cubish glass dome, they look like the characters, not Funko Pop figures.
Yeah, some characters funko pop well. I remember of recent ones, All-Might from My Hero Academia (already had a stylized face with black eyes) and D.va (it was mostly the MEKA) came out very well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is the Turkey Day content gonna be up for a little while if we can't stream due to the sinful nature of man and/or internet

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TL posted:

They typically put the intros on YouTube shortly after the marathon ends.
Oh I meant more the episodes themselves, like if we can load a copy of the stream or whatever. If not, that's fine, I'll just put on some other episodes once I'm home.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I think that's a terrible idea
I think it's a terrific idea from a business perspective. (Creatively there's no advantages beyond being able to trim out interminable poo poo from a really long stinkbasket.) It means MST3k isn't dependent on a streaming platform, which could be important in the future, and it's possible Joel will be able to make money by selling it as filler in cable networks in Indonesia or something in the future. It also means he has more leverage in any possible negotiations with Netflix.

It might all be unnecessary, but I can't blame Joel for taking pains to protect his puppet show after the last time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Burkion posted:

Absolutely, yes.

Again, I love Mike. As far as I am aware he is a perfectly good guy who thinks a few things I don't agree with but nothing wrong or anything.

Just, man, I hope that thanksgiving never comes
My impression is that if Mike was a typical member of the right wing we would be in a much better place as a nation. That said I would absolutely not ask about his opinion on key social topics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, he spends some time on the commentary complaining about Best Brains.

Edit: Here's the email he sent to the MST discussion board because apparently he thought they were Best Brains?

Bonus points for 'I WOULD BE FUNNIER THAN YOU GUYS.'
Reading this letter reminds me of nothing so much as Mark Discordia, the guy who wrote to Nintendo Power and then later got into a fight with Seanbaby.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ballz posted:

I might’ve missed it, but I didn’t realize Joel explicitly intends this current tour to be his last.
He's no spring chicken. At the same time, well, we've heard that about the Stones, too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crazy Ferret posted:

The host segments and discussions for the Turkey Day Marathon may also touch on the fact that the show is not coming back. This may be to soften the blow and to set up this year's Turkey Day as a "Look at all the good times we had" special.
I feel like Joel would probably have not taken pains to say "this is NOT the end" like five or six times in the email if the show wasn't coming back at all. But if you mean that this is going to reach a wider audience who aren't on the Kickstarter email list, then that's quite fair.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

That was supposedly a weird work-around. CBS (which owns POP) apparently wanted One Day At A Time for CBS All Access because they don't have a flagship comedy original series for that service, but the Netflix contract says it can't be picked up by another OTT streaming service for 3 years, but not that an actual broadcast network can't take it.
And that's how MST3k came back to terrestrial television!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Doesn't Rifftrax have its own VOD service now? Get the new show on that, crowdfund new seasons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Having the support of a major streaming service is definitely the kind of boon the show could use though
Use in what sense? I guess it would help it live on and grow an audience, but it's not like the cow town puppet show needs to have 7% year over year growth. Indeed I wouldn't be shocked if that's part of why Netflix didn't continue it, it wasn't growing new subscribers.

So a major streaming service would mostly provide discoverabilities and potentially access to film rights, except I kind of doubt the latter is likely to happen because MST3k picks fun of things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Servo got norted. Pass it on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

fsif posted:

Also just a bit rich lecturing Joel Hodgson about the ethos of MST3K.
I HATE JOEL HODGSON'S SPENDTHRIFT WAYS in 1096-point font.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

This would indicate that when the episodes can be purchased they'll be at least 9 bucks a pop. That's right around Rifftrax pricing so that's ok I think.

That said, everything about the Gizmoplex sounds like he's just throwing poo poo out there to get pledges. Who knows was the final product will be. That whole long post above just sounds more and more confusing.
It sounds like it's gonna be Vimeo stuff with live events and maybe some kind of interactive component, plus maybe some kind of hookup to one of the "set up your own watch party" apps... it isn't exactly impossible, and I remember that Joel probably killed that guy who hosed up the S11 premiere, so they shouldn't have as many obstacles as they did for that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I know someone who literally believes there’s a Planet X called Nibaru out past Pluto’s orbit that has an advanced alien civilization on it.

Every time there’s an astronomy article about the real 10th planetoid that astronomers think is responsible for the messed up orbits of kupier belt objects, they see it as confirmation of their wacky beliefs.

(The aliens from Niberu made the pyramids, you see)
I'm not worried until they start asking to borrow Godzilla and Rodan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

This reminded me to actually pledge, I guess I hadn't pushed the button (frank) yet. Good poo poo coming along!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I went up a tier and was strongly tempted by the Bot Video reward... if I had gotten the new job I've worked for I might have, just in celebration. So if we fall $650 short, blame HR.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just tried changing my pledge to get the mission patches as an add-on, and it didn't work. I went through the confirmation process and it still has my pledge at the old level. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't want to cancel and redo it.
It seems like it can take a few minutes for a pledge update, you should get an email

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

So, I'm going to donate a hundred or so – what is the best level to pledge to atm, bang for your buck?

Very hard to follow what the rewards actually are at this point.

They're totally hitting the 5.5 mil way before end of tomorrow.
I went for 150 plus one of the downloadable packs. That'll get you most of the exciting extra bonus stuff, plus you'll get a poster! I do think the digital-only tier has a lot of the extra bonus stuff too, just not any of the physical swag. But gently caress it, I want to wear Tom Servo in my daily lifestyle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, I suspect it's gonna taper until the morning but we're definitely making it. At this point Joel can probably nudge one of his friends if we end up JUST shy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think it was suggested that it was somehow connected to the "liquid movie" thing. But ultimately, we just know it's the payload.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

I believe it's never been really verified either way if it was actual/stock footage or faked but yeah I'd also agree avoiding that scene altogether wouldn't really be a bad thing
The good news is that this would be a real easy forty seconds of film to cut out, almost to the point where I think they anticipated it might be cut. On the other hand, there's a really great reaction shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hopeandjoy posted:

I wanna know what menial labor job Emily has in her song backstory.

And also how they’re going to shove a three syllable name into the rhythm of lines originally written for a one syllable name. :v:
"Now keep in mind she can't control when the movies begin or end" with Emily on the screen oughta do it.