Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god. Oh my god.

Loves of Hercules. The Hydra fight. That obviously painted cow masquerading as a bull. The ridiculous amazon headgear. Some random dude just fondling and harassing women during the "trial" before being unveiled as Hercules' sidekick. Hercules' penchant for just lifting heavy things and walking around with them. The loving living trees with struts clearly propping them up so they don't fall over. The loving sasquatch fight out of nowhere at the end.

At some points I was laughing so hard it hurt. My girlfriend refused to believe the movie wasn't an intentional comedy.

E: also the season has been good / great / amazing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo, the death scene in Yongary. What the hell, South Korea!?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rollersnake posted:

I can't wait to get off work so I can go home and finish Wizards 2. Holy poo poo, this movie.

Wizards 2 was the first ever MST3K episode I stopped watching midway. It was just such nonsensical trash that I couldn't deal with it in one sitting. The riffing was good but god drat that movie is AWFUL.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Paper Kaiju posted:

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor.

"I tried to pull up. I couldn't. I didn't."
"I died."

*bump bump bump*
"Are you boys cooking in there?"
"Nooo!"
"Are you building an interocitor in there?"

"This isn't paper... some kind of metal!"
"No sir, that's paper."

MST3K: The Movie was my introduction to the series. Some friends had seen it at the local university's sci-fi movie night (this was in the mid 90s) and praised it to high heaven. When I bought a DVD drive, I also imported the US DVD and my brother and I laughed until we cried.

I still maintain MST3K: The Movie is amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Hobgoblins live stream was a ton of fun, it was great seeing Joel and the live gang reacting to a classic episode and get some inside baseball things, like Joel, Nate and Conor speculating on how they made puppets as bad as the ones in Hobgoblins. And then come to the conclusion that they're probably not even puppets, but just plushies. And they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugO9coWrw0

In case anyone missed it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fsif posted:

He's really hyping this Manos movie.

It must be a hell of a movie!

Cross-Section posted:

Somehow found myself buying the digital collection upgrade despite owning a bunch of those episodes already

This reminds me of one of my favourite host segments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISRRn3wolk

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 1, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IUG posted:

Ah, I missed that, and I don't think you can browse Kickstarter's add-ons without editing your pledge.

...which I just did. I dropped from $100 to $15, but added the $65 to download season 13, and added $400 to get the 130 episodes. It's like $3 an episode this way. :retrogames:

EDIT: Does that make the KS goal $85 less, or $380 more? (Started at just $100, but finished at $480.)

What's the quality like?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oof, I'd forgotten the very culturally sensitive voodoo dance by the Mads in the Zombie Nightmare episode.

"Voodoo!? Baron, this is catholicism!"

Jonah's a pretty funny guy, it turns out :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's funny how different the vibe is between the streams where Joel is or isn't present. When Joel's there it's more of a "oh haha look at that, I wonder how they did that" and talking about the inside baseball side of puppetry and movie making. When Joel's not there, Jonah, Baron, Hampton and Rebecca are just riffing on the movie constantly.

Both are very nice and cool.

E: "Ladies and gentlemen, Frederick Douglass!"

"Grady, this fall on NBC!"

God drat it's been too long since I saw Zombie Nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBic9Oj-PhU

E: I'm sitting here looking at my bank account and trying to decide between an Xbox Series X or the full MST3K digital library. Hard decisions.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 7, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bicyclops posted:

I'd forgotten about Mike's migraine thing, that must be so fuckin' unbearable.

Yeah, I feel so bad for the guy. There was a period where my neck was so messed up (I had my monitor at a 45 degree angle to my right and stared at it for ~13 hours a day) that I had basically non-stop headaches for months until I finally went to a doctor, suspecting I had a tumor or something.

Just a few months of that was unbearable, now living your whole life like that... gently caress.

(then later I started getting migraines with actual honest to goodness auras and everything so fairly regular headaches are still a fun thing in my life)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So they have thirteen hours to drive from Torrance to Long Beach? :confused:

My patent papers are at a slight angle, Sam!

Morter posted:

I love Riding with Death so much but then I realize I only remember a handful of jokes and really only remember mainly the first half for jokes.

Yeah the first half is what carries that episode. It's got the guy who is forever cleaning his glasses, constant turkey references, Black Barts coming up on mudflaps, the insanely convoluted plot. Just non-stop hits.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Larry, you're a dullard.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2xn99iSL10

This was a lot of fun. Beez!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The MST3K Twitch channel is great, but god drat these two minute breaks are killing me.

They just had the Sinister Urge, where they dropped a full break after the closing host segment (bumpers, two minute countdown, bumpers), then the end credits, then another full set.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Hello, Mike... Crow... Flemish Glass Blower."

One of my favourite running jokes is the Mads immediately figuring out whatever insane outfit Tom is and just taking it all in stride.

(Boggy Creek II is an amazing episode in general. "My memory had cheesecloth over it at this point")

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

Can I borrow a cup of shirt?

The believability rating of this post is quite high.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's a skid mark on the ceiling!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sash! posted:

Rather than pick one line that lands for me every time, just assume I quoted the entirety of Are You Ready for Marriage?

Larry, you're a dullard.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pershing posted:

Danger: Death Ray is the TV equivalent of a snuggly blanket for me. Watching it and hearing babadadada over and over is strangely comforting.

Special effects by Billy!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

You saw my boing?

*Sue stares off into the distance*
*Machine gun sounds, helicopters*
MARINES, WE ARE LEAVING!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj558MQhOX8

In 4 hours and 40 minutes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh boy, I hadn't seen Tormented before and god drat this movie was rough.

Fun watch with the crew though, and the highlight was Yvonne Freese's adorable kitty joining her 2/3 through the movie and wanting a lot of attention.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I brought my Drake posted:

How so? I'm genuinely curious. I think it's the best of the Bert I. Gordon films that they did.

I dunno, the tone of the movie was somehow extremely grim and pretty dark especially considering when it was made. It was less of a "lol what a cheesy piece of crap" and more "oof, this loving movie".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And the part where the blind housekeeper / assistant nearly walks off the lighthouse to her death. While looking for her guide dog.

But yeah, the riffs and the crew reactions made it fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In five hours: The Blood Waters of Doctor Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqhv1nnbdY

"Join Alternaversal's Matt McGinnis, along with MST3K's Joel Hodgson, Jonah Ray, Tim Ryder, and Nate Begle, for a livestream screening of this Mike-era abomination, as a mad scientist attempts to prove his genius by turning himself into a giant catfish and going on a deadly rampage."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Go! Team! Go!

That whole Club Scum (ie. someone's school cafeteria) segment is gold.

I rewatched the video where Joel, Emily and Emily's bots watch Hobgoblins and it's my favourite of their riff-along videos, largely because Hobgoblins is apparently Emily's favourite episode and she's just so god drat excited for everything and that energy carries on to the rest of the crowd.

Plus it's fun to see Joel, Nate and Conor be constantly amazed and amused by how awful the Hobgoblin puppets are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugO9coWrw0

In case someone hasn't seen it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Emily kicks rear end and I'm glad she's on the team.

Same. Honestly Emily's crew is probably my favourite right now. They have a fun energy and I like them all. Except for some reason Ed Wynn keeps turning up randomly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Diabolik900 posted:

I’m really looking forward to seeing them in the actual show.

If you want a small preview, I noticed that during the pre-movie portion of the Hobgoblins stream they run a short by Emily and her bots. It was pretty drat good!

I loved Nate's Ed Wynn bits if only because it drove everyone else nuts.

Yeah it's a fun bit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Data Graham posted:

There's something great about having the other riffers able to laugh in real-time response. Laughter is infectious, and some of the funniest things I've ever seen are when a comedian loses their composure and breaks down laughing over something.

Yeah, it's great. It's also super nice during covid times where actually getting to laugh with friends is a pretty rare thing. It's not the same thing of course, but it did boost up my spirits quite a bit.

And it's also very satisfying to see these extremely famous people just completely lose it to some joke I've always liked.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have a love / disgust relationship with the movie. The episode is gold and the movie's got a lot of fun stuff in it as well, but also some really skeevy carny poo poo that honestly makes my skin crawl.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

drrockso20 posted:

I think we all have an episode or two we obsess over, like with me and Catalina Caper and The Brute Man

Hobgoblins, Space Mutiny, Giant Spider Invasion and Prince of Space for me.

It's just the weirdest loving movie that should not exist + Stony Martin passed out drunk.

Yeah it's definitely got that classic MST3K movie magic where half the fun is trying to figure out how the hell that movie even came to exist.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozJRYN9rO4

The MST3K MINDLESS SUMMER FILM SERIES continues with a LIVE group viewing of CATALINA CAPER!

Join Alternaversal's Matt McGinnis, along with MST3K's Felicia Day, Rebecca Hanson, and Conor McGiffin, for a livestream screening of this Joel-era favorite, as college kids on a beach getaway wind up involved in an international art heist!

Join us on MST3K's Twitch and YouTube channels at 5:00 PT / 8:00pm ET.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I had never seen Catalina Caper before. What a god drat bizarre movie, it felt like they had maybe half a movie and then just stretched it out to 90 minutes and stopped. Traditionally scripts should have some kind of logical progression but this just kinda meandered around for an hour and a half before ending.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

muscles like this! posted:

He was in a movie as a kid. Village of the Giants.

With Catalina Caper star Tommy Kirk no less!

remusclaw posted:

go watch its a mad mad mad mad mad world, which is like this, probably a bit funnier, but also over three hours long.

It's legit been like 35 years since I saw that. I've been meaning to watch it again.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The haunting... Torgo's theme.

"I wet 'em."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The version of Manos I watched yesterday was some kind of hack job where some guy had spliced the MST3K host segments and silhouettes over the HD-restoration Ben Solo did a few years ago, and also added in (un-riffed) missing scenes towards the end. And holy loving poo poo. I was not prepared for essentially a 5 minute scene where the Master just beats the poo poo out of his wives.

I can't think of another experiment that honestly falls off the cliff like Manos does. The first half or so is hilarious with Torgo antics and funny bad movie stuff, but then it just gets loving depressing and grim and nasty, even before someone adds in the scenes Best Brains cut out for VERY GOOD REASONS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnxVbGZNHSs

If someone wants to experience it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The last MINDLESS SUMMER FILM SERIES movie, Codename Diamond Head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e80FGP77jao

Join Alternaversal's Matt McGinnis, along with MST3K's Emily Marsh, Tim Ryder, Baron Vaughn, and Hampton Yount for a livestream screening of this Mike-era riff, as an undercover spy races to stop a double agent who has stolen a dangerous new nerve gas in a deadly game of cat-and-mouse... set in Hawaii!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey, you called it!

Boy that was some poo poo. It's hard to remember in "the golden age of television" how loving DIRE these made for TV movies used to be.

Maybe the Syfy Channel is still keeping that mantle on, albeit with higher production values? But loving christ, Diamond Head was just boring, plodding nonsense. Good riffs and I love to see Emily on the streams because she's got such fun energy, and Baron Vaughn is also always great.

I can't wait to see more of Emily's crew's proper episodes in the future, they're so great.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Maybe the movie was originally titled "Screaming; Skull".

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH*
"Oh darling, those were just the peacocks!"
"Yeah, they're out back machining tools."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lovejoy!