Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

Speaking of which, I recently found out Miguel Ángel Fuentes is still kicking around the Mexican Telenovela circuit and will even show up in the occasional American production (Texas Rising, most recently), which kinda makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Spotting him just hanging around in the background as a random henchman is literally the only thing I remember about the movie Blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Maybe "The Gauntlet" means Kinga will be forcing Jonah to "binge-watch" all six movies from Season 12 in a row? There was always an implied break of at least a week between movies during the Joel/Mike era. It'd be the next step up from Deep Hurting or Hypno-Helio-Static-Stasis. Streaming makes the pain more efficient.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The first episode I ever saw was Red Zone Cuba. Although it made me a fan right away, I wouldn't recommend it to the uninitiated. I remember the cast and crew saying that Time of the Apes was a good entry point for a lot of people because the hook of a Japanese Planet of the Apes ripoff was easy for people to get into.

My personal recommendation for introducing people to the show is Bride of the Monster.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thep-YOO-may-man.

I'm excited that this whole season is made up of movies from my lifetime, roughly. I've always loved the 70s/80s-era movies the most. It'll be so weird to see them do something from the Obama Administration, but time keeps on slippin.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Yep, Vaughn absolutely uses a different timbre, and it's a good thing, because in Season 11, there were times I literally couldn't tell if it was him or Jonah talking.

I'M PRETTY OKAY WITH TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE!!!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The guy who played Road Rash in “Hobgoblins” was the hillbilly rapist Bruce Willis kills with a samurai sword in “Pulp Fiction.” Also the emcee at Club Scum went on to be one of the Fairly OddParents.

George “Superman” Reeves was in “Jungle Goddess.” Did anyone mention Caesar Romero yet?

Jean Claude Gosh Darn from “Future War” had a small part in “John Wick.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Only made it to “Killer Fish” at this point, and even though I’m loving it so far, nothing to this point has topped “EARN THIS” from “Mac n Me.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The seething contempt they would work up during the SciFi Channel seasons worked better at the time because getting angry at a movie was still something of a novelty. But now there's at least 600,000 dorks on YouTube screaming into the camera about how whatever movie was "an unmitigated execrable cinematic abortion-fail of Brobdingnagian proportions" or what have you. I'm cool with the Netflix era being a little kinder and gentler overall.

My S12 ranks:
Lords of the Deep
Mac & Me
Atlantic Rim
The Day Time Ended
Killer Fish
Ator

I don't know what it was about Lords of the Deep, everything about that one hit me in the right way.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Atlantic Rim is so obviously the first draft of a screenplay that I kind of love it. "What's something tough this general guy could say here? 'Get him on the horn,' have I used that already? Probably not. Oh good, another 'Top Chef' is on next, hopefully I'll be done with this script before the news. Hey Derek, do you remember if I said these monsters laid eggs? I think I did."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Beast of Hollow Mountain has my favorite host segment of the Netflix series so far.

"WHO MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?!?"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GUY FROM HARLEM!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I can't get over the alien designs in Mac and Me. Who thought that would be the slightest bit appealing?

They knew people liked E.T., they just couldn't figure out why. "It's because he's leathery and nude, right?"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I sing whenever I sing whenever I sing whenever I sing whenever I sing...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Sharknado has effort in it. It tried to be a thing. It tried to be a bad, silly thing, but it TRIED.

Atlantic Rim exists only to get money based off of name fuckery. There is no effort in it, no attempt to make anything work.

They could have made the robots look cool, but they didn't want to expend the effort. They could have tightened up the script, but that would take too much effort.

I'm convinced they used the same "cockpit" set for all three robots, just using one of those remote-control color-changing Christmas light strands from Target behind them.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I think the only way to actually see them 'in order' was first-run because the out of order thing started immediately after, with additional 'immediately losing the rights to the series' so some episodes weren't aired even twice. I feel like that happened with 'Revenge of the Creature.'

I think "Gorgo" was aired only once before rights issues kept it out of reruns for a long time. I want to say that it never even made it back on-air at Sci Fi until the show had been cancelled, but I could be wrong about that.

EDIT: Looking it up, apparently it aired twice on its premiere date, then never again.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

That must have been cleared up, since I could swear I've seen it on the Pluto.tv MST3K channel multiple times.

Yeah, it was fixed a while ago. It was included in the 25th anniversary boxed set from Shout, so it's all nice and legal now.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

thelaughingman posted:

Pumaman is probably one of the few movies where I wanted the villain to win.

Edit:
There were just so many windows of opportunity that it just makes me mad.

My headcanon is that Donald Pleasance is the same character in Puma Man and Warrior of the Lost World. He finally takes over the world in the future because Puma Man sucks so bad. Then Fred Williamson helps him pull one over on the Paper Chase Guy because that guy sucks so bad, too. In short, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to suck so bad.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I for one am OUTRAGED that I can no longer turn my crank to Frank.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The punk who throws spaghetti at his mom in Zombie Nightmare is one of the executive producers of Stranger Things.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Failson posted:

Also, please help me, I can't stop watching Legend of Boggy Creek II.

The believability of this post is quite high.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I Was A Teenage Werewolf, as well.

Edit: Oh man and the Cheating short from Wild World of Batwoman

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Paris had Godard, Rome had Fellini, Wisconsin had Bill Rebane.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

One of my favorites is Mike talking about the time he went on a fun run or a hike and it is just filled with embarrassing details.

If it’s true that the walk was between Batavia and St. Charles, I think I know exactly which McDonalds/gas station he was talking about. The Amoco is now a title loan office, but I think we can still have it added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

There are multiple scenes in The Uninvited where they dub in constant meowing because the cat just sits there like cats do. Also Clu Gulagher wearing Mickey Rooney’s false teeth from Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The bit in “Prince of Space” with the stereo “LUCIIIIIIIILE!” when the two Mr. Mooney looking guys are on screen always gets me. Also “Swing me over there, trusty string!”

And the dog in “Red Zone Cuba” who straddles the barbed wire. “Snausages Snausages DOH MY AREA!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I feel like there are a couple of people in a rocket ship movies, and I cant remember liking any of them.

First Spaceship to Venus
12 to the Moon
Rocketship X-M
Project Moonbase
Space Travelers
Big swaths of Fire Maidens of Outer Space if I recall correctly. Bunch of real snoozers. Those and the westerns they did just bounce right off me no matter how funny the jokes are.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pu Ma Man
When will he find love?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Soultaker is the only MST3K movie I ever caught without the riffers and I actually kinda liked it. Not a lot, but you know, a bit. So I'm pleased.

Please tell me the uncut version has more Elevator Reggae Guy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Another Bill posted:

No but the Joe Estevez / Mom peeping on the bath scene is longer.

Oh of COURSE it is.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

A small fraction of MST3K movies are actually unwatchable on their own. The show’s success is not in pointing at something and saying “That’s bad.” It’s in pointing at something and saying “That’s ridiculous.” It’s something an entire industry of YouTube “critics” hasn’t been able to figure out.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I'm trying to remember, which movie was the one that was so bad it made them change the process on how they selected movies?

Sidehackers has a brutal rape scene. Before they would only watch a portion of the movie but after that they made sure to watch all of it.

That’s why Crow has to say, “For those playing along at home, Rita is dead.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Also considering the policy of watching a movie in it's entirety before choosing it really makes me wonder how the hell did Beast of Yucca Flats make it past that process considering how boring and slow paced it is even in MST3K format

They had already done Skydivers and Red Zone Cuba, so maybe they felt obligated to complete the Coleman Francis cycle.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hogama posted:

You mean he's back!?

Does his sish shtill schwing at that plash on Shunshet?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

As if a switch had been turned, as if an eye had been blinked, as if some phantom force in the universe had made a move eons beyond our comprehension, suddenly, there was no Season 13! There were no puppets, no riffing, no thing called "MST3K" to be followed. There was nothing in the stream but the puzzled men of courage, who suddenly found themselves alone with shadows and darkness!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Reed, I’m going to start slapping you now and I may never stop.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I guess I should consider myself lucky. Most people only live long enough to see their favorite TV show cancelled once, let alone three times.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Seeing Clu Gulagher’s name in the credits of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a trip.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ringu0 posted:

Giving away two coupon codes for $10 off on mst3kstore.com. One coupon per order, both coupons expire on 3/31/2020.

0BG2N70W4Y
SE79G9N0YR

I used the first one, thanks a bunch!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

He likes MEELK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Just follow the receipts for the largest track suit orders and you’ll find Clonus.