Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Hooray, I'm on a cruise when it drops and I'm not paying the ridiculous fees for shipboard wifi.

I realize this is the definition of a first world problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Bobo but they never seemed to know how to write for him. There's a segment at the end of The Undead where Bobo is making a sandwich and it's obvious from the start that he's going to turn around and grab Observer's brain from the fridge and eat it on accident, but the skit goes on forever and it practically crawls to the punchline. It's almost excruciating to watch.

I love that bit.

For the most part, I was always kinda meh on Bobo, but I love Brain Guy, particularly his insistence that he has no body. I loved when Frank was asking to have his soul, and Brain Guy responding that he was "barking up the wrong albino".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
In a similar vein to the Sven and Ole sketch, I always liked their Bergmanesque Death and Taxes promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1w_dp2PK9E

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

e: Also, I just watched the Mike speaker scene and sort of found it funny, if only because of the context. They basically just sat through 20 minutes of that song in the terrible blob movie (which is probably so bad, not even riffing can save it)

Nonsense, the Creeping Terror is one of the best episodes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Patton was born to play this part.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I get that they're horrible movies, but I've always loved Red Zone Cuba, it's one of my favorite episodes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

DivisionPost posted:

He still had some pretty bad blood with Mallon at the time, didn't he?

Wired did a really good oral history of MST3K a few years ago, where Kevin (I think it was him) said he never thought Joel and Jim liked each other, and Joel went on to say Jim's insistence on directing the movie was the straw that broke the camel's back.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah Jeez, just reading that made me sad, and harder to be mad at Mallon.

Sorry to hear he lost his daughter :smith:

I might not have loved his choices for what he did with the MST3K brand, but I respect and admire him for using a personal tragedy as the impetus to do some good in the world. Good for him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Diabolik is such a good finale. The new show better have one Hell of an opener.

Don't worry, they do. I know I posted a bit about 1101 a few weeks back after the backer screening, but they knocked it out of the park on the first episode.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've only seen a few Rifftrax but I've loved all their live shows, and their riff on Titanic is gold.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rollersnake posted:

This, "he's a Cabbage Patch Elvis," and "every frame of this movie looks like somebody's last-known photograph" in a three-way tie for the most perfect MST3K riff.

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think one of the smart things Joel did was to have Jonah help pick the new bots. They have a built in, natural rapport, and it helps to rekindle the vibe of the old show, which to me alway seemed like a bunch of friends having a good time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
It could also just be that he's tired of being asked. He and Frank are doing their own thing now, and I'd imagine that's still question number one at every Q&A.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Saw it at the NYC premiere and just finished it again...holy cow, I'm so happy it's back. If they can keep up this level of quality, we're in for a treat.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed the song Felicia Day, Neil Patrick Harris, and Patton Oswalt sang on MST3K is a sentence I can't believe I'm actually saying.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm up to 1105, and I have to say that Jim Henson's Magnum PI Babies might be my favorite riff of the season so far. So funny, so accurate to what's on screen, and so true to the humor of the original show.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The song they do in the theater during Starcrash is amazing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really liked Servo acting like a naked woman through the binoculars in Avalanche.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just finished The Land That Time Forgot, and lost it at J&TB yelling WORLDSTAR! at the fighting dinosaurs.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
And then Crow's heavily accented "I have a-breakededed the door" in Hercules just destroyed me. Christ, they've hit this show out of the park.

I'd love an extended version of the Skeleton Crew's ska version of To Earth.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be fair, one of the giant monster movies was mostly a cowboy movie, and MST3k never did too many of those.

I'm reminded of Last of the Wild Horses, where the evil mirror Servo is going off on Crow and Mike, then notices "Ooh, a cowboy movie!" and the rest of the segment was normal after that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finished Yongary today, and that kid in the movie is already up there with the most irritating kids in any MST3K movie.

This season rules.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just started Wizards 2 and the kid in this movie sounds like he can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally got to Carnival Magic, and it's the weirdest loving thing I've ever seen. Holy poo poo, I don't know where to even begin.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cry Wilderness is in my top five episodes of the show, period. The best of the season IMO are that, Avalanche, Carnival Magic, and Hollow Mountain. I've also got a soft spot for Reptilicus for starting the whole thing off with a bang.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Probably Riding With Death for me, I love that episode and I've watched it dozens of times.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
For crying out loud...EACH. OF. YOU. WILL. ENTER. A. SPACE. CAPSULE.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
CAPSULE!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Baron isn't doing the live tour as he's about to become a dad. So Joel is teasing a new (temporary) Servo for the tour.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

business hammocks posted:

Josh Weinstein?

He said it was someone who worked on the season.

I'm hoping for Elliott Kalan.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Breadallelogram posted:

he'd be a better Crow

Maybe vocally. Personality wise, he's totally Servo.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
And Tim Ryder (one of the writers of S11/Boneheads/husband of Rebecca Hansen) is Servo on the live tour.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The answer, my friends, is blow it out your rear end.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm at the MST3K live show in Baltimore. Do they do any kind of meet and greet after the show?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh well. Show was amazing anyway.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
In Baltimore the payload was a case of Natty Boh.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the live show: As Eegah was being shaved, I laughed very hard at (I think) Servo flatly saying "I hate this".

Was also glad to hear the monotone "tequila" riff brought back.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't know if anyone else saw it, but there was an update yesterday on a new season: Joel said nothing is definite but he remains hopeful.

That said, both Elliott Kalan and Rebecca Hanson are moving to LA, so I'm hoping that's a sign of some good news on the renewal front.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
They also launched an MST3K Online Store today. I wouldn't think they'd do that if they weren't pretty sure they were coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

I got to talk to head writer Elliott Kalan last night and yes, the Henchmen are from Inframan. I'm still finding people who aren't 100% convinced of that, but he said Joel specifically choose that design. Also, after appologising that everyone suggests movies, I hope they do do Inframan, and he said that they want to, its all about securing the rights.

I take it you were at the Toronto Flop House Show. How was it? I'm aching to hear them do Book of Henry.