Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Pixeltendo posted:

Personally i'd like to see them do Mac and Me.

Even has Carnival nights promise of a sequel that never came to be!

They'd totally need to have Paul Rudd as a guest for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

My favorite shorts are probably The Truck Farmer and A Date With Your Family. I do mention "two pints of oysters and the new vegetable" a lot while grocery shopping--it's from the short about being a homemaker and the perils of letting the husband buy groceries.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

There was also a mixup during one of the bumpers for a Friday night premiere. They thought the "Outlaw" that they were riffing was the 1943 movie and not the 1988 movie "starring" Jack Palance.

So the commercials were all these two idiots with some radio show talking about Jane Russell.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I really like Catalina Caper but it also was incredibly hard to get as a trade back in the day, I think the rights expired very shortly after the episode aired. And it contains the immortal line, "There's a promising young artist hopped up on goofballs" when Little Richard is moseying through "At The Party."

Went to see the Mads riffing tonight. They dealt with a ton of technical difficulties, but they were introduced by the actress who played Debbie in Manos, whi evidently lives near Portland. She told a couple of fun stories, I guess she has a book about the experience.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The Complete Cinematic Titanic is set to be released on August 8th.

The Wasp Woman is such a fantastic episode, worth it for that alone. I have most of them and still thinking I'll pick this up.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Jonah, Baron, and Hampton were in Portland for the Bridgetown Comedy Festival, and one of the events was an airing of Cry Wilderness, followed by a little Q & A from the audience.

Cry Wilderness is just as insane when watching it with hundreds of people as it is at home, and I had forgotten about the incredible downer that is the closing theme song.

Fun things I learned during the Q & A:
Nobody knows what "the payload" is other than Joel, it is part of some multi-year payoff
One of Joel's original ideas for the reboot was having Jonah move to Pittsburgh and do the show live in front of audiences for a year
The monster rap from Reptilicus was one of the first things they filmed (and they can do most of it when asked)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

This is offhandedly going to be explained as a cooler full of snacks in two years and you know it. :haw:

Way more likely than my pet theory it's samples of Ecstato-Euphoro-Fun (with patented Hinder-90) that is the only remedy known to Hypno-Helio-Static-Stasis (containing X-4).

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I'm that robot that Crow and Servo built that only speaks in volumes of foam.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

That's Rebecca Hanson.

Her story about becoming the new Gypsy is really, really sweet.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I had never heard of Girl's Town and it's the most delightful thing. Horribly-written teen slang, awkward musical moments, and the easiest, funniest relationship among the riffers I can remember. It's into my top 10 of the original show for sure.

I also saw Avalanche. Rock Hudson really captures a certain middle-aged creepiness well, but I'm not sure it's what the director was going for.

Girls Town is a great experiment! I love a movie where they have Mel Torme playing the heavy. "Careful, it's where my Velvet Fog emanates from!"

Plus that poor girl who has a crush on Paul Anka. "We're married now, right?"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Saw the showing of "Eegah!" here in PDX tonight. They must be just raking in the dough on merchandise on this tour.

I'd completely blocked out how creepy parts of the film were. "Here, daughter of mine. Pretend to drink this nasty water or he might sexually harass you." WTF?

Also, BANG

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Reince Penis posted:

Girls Town is loving awesome. Mel Torme, Paul Anka and Mimi Van Doren? Come on!

Mel Torme is the heavy, too!
"Careful, it's where my Velvet Fog emanates from!"

Also, time immortal line, "We're married now, right?!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

A really great gag from Radar Secret Service is the skit after Last Clear Chance where Crow has a "pencil" mustache that is literally a pencil glued to his face.

"Can RADAR save our dying marriage?!"

I love that film, though I totally agree with Mike and Tom during the fist fight. Something along the lines of...

"I'm more bland!"
"No, I am!"
"I defy you to remember my character's name!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

NOT THE COPIER!!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Not only does Warrior of the Lost World feature Paper Chase Guy, it also contains the majesty that is MEGAWEAPON!!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

"Feel some malaise, sucker!" is one of my favorite riffs. Jimmy Carter: Action Hero!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Pearl and Brain Guy singing about love is even more fun when you read the tweets about his family seeing it and asking WTF

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Girl in Lover's Lane is an episode I just can't watch all the way through because of how it ends.

I can see that. I think they call it out in the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, too.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Of course the really great thing about the Giant Gila Monster is just how often a scene would involve one or more characters walking to a spot and then propping their leg up on something.

Smart boy would do well to put his leg up on something like that.

I love Joel doing fun movie facts for the Gila Monster. "When they make noises like this, it's called 'Foley.' I'll be back later with another fun fact!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

There's a lot of snow in Avalanche, but other than that, it's not terribly Christmas-y.

Sure is a lot of Rock Hudson yelling at people into the phone, though.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just to add to this: seeing Vader force choke the Karate Kid followed by Thor staking the Twilight vampire, wasn't all that funny the first time I saw it, and by the 900th time it's beyond annoying.

Add in the fact the song theorizes that it's a fun prank to play Rifftrax on unsuspecting people, as if the draw wasn't Mike, Kevin, and Bill, or Mary Jo and Bridget. It's like "Do you even know who your audience is?"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

precision posted:

I feel like rifftrax has generally been getting less good the more they focus on using obscure movies they can do VODs of. Aside from truly exceptional episodes like Guy From Harlem, they rarely reach the heights they attain in such classics as the Twilight commentaries

He is THE HELL from Harlem!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Ballz posted:

No conversation about the best host segments is complete without mentioning the Orville popcorn sketch.

Indeed! "I, me, my! I'm the god! I'M THE GOD!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Four words: Master Ninja Theme Song!!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Speaking of Master Ninja, there's a MeFi thread about The Master where you can catch all the episodes.

There's like 3 or 4 more episodes in that list if they ever got the rights! Diana Muldaur as MacCallister's love interest!?!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Every time one of the apartment doors in I Accuse My Parents, Mike & the bots quack because there's a painting of a duck on the wall behind.

Distracts me from how dumb Jimmy is, even if he did win that essay contest.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Rewatched The Time Travelers and it's still not a bad movie. It's not a GREAT movie, but I'd probably watch it by itself. It's like The Time Machine with a bit of The Cold Equations mixed in. Plus, I do love all the practical effects. They at least tried harder than the folks making 12 to the Moon did.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the gently caress even is a Sampo in the first place? Best I can tell is it's some sort of magical snack machine/horn of plenty that only this one bearded guy can build and he can only build it once.

If you know what a Sampo is, write it down on a piece of paper and throw it away. You'll be glad you did.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I mainly know him as the forger in The Great Escape.

I’ve gone blind from forging thousands of Nazi documents!! Save me, Jim Rockford!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

There's a series of smoking pot riffs in Mighty Jack that makes me laugh every time.

Also, I'm Mighty Jack! I make my own gravy!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I Accuse My Parents is great because of how flawed the central premise is. Nothing that happens to Jimmy is the fault of his parents. He turns to a life of crime simply because he's trying to impress a girl who seems like she would be into him anyway without his big spending.

The end bit where Crow and Server want a hamburger sandwich and french fries potato garnish is a particular favorite of mine. "Joel, you magnificent bastard, I read your menu!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

ringu0 posted:

I just finished it, and found it very enjoyable, maybe even more so than the first time.

Even Reptilicus, which — and this is my impression from reading this thread — was considered to be the least watchable due to the rapid fire jokes. In fact, I watched it with friends a couple times to introduce them to MST3K, and they loved it.

We watched Yongarry last night and it was good. Also: CAPSULE!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

One of the things I love about Avalanche is the IMDB entry about how Corman wasn’t happy with the snow. So they added a bunch of styrofoam snow to enhance it, then skipped town.

After the spring thaw, it was covered in lovely fake snow.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

But now where will people go to stream Radar Secret Service?

How will people learn about the power of RADAR?

Will RADAR save our dying marriage?!?!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Iif they do Mac & Me, will Paul Rudd do a guest spot? I hope so.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Don’t get me wrong, there are some great laughs in it, but there are huge dead parts that made me lose the perpetual smile I usually have when watching MST3K.

What you might need is a little Secret Agent Super Dragon.

Also death rays are for peaceful purposes only.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I think The Deadly Bees is a bit of a gem. Speaking of insect-based movies, Cinematic Titanic did The Wasp Woman and it's pretty great.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

After that intro I want all the Chinese food.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

"I'm not ready for football anymore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

"Girl in Lover's Lane" with Big Stupid!

I was just thinking of that movie the other day with Crow saying, "I don't want to be Jack Elam anymore!"

Also, Servo, WHAT is the South going to do again?