Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I followed a link here and I am startled at what I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, and the cervix moves during the monthly cycle, so it's possible that it's not stretching out but the change in fay that made the difference. Well let's be real. It was never the stretching out. The cervix moving is our (first) theory here.

Second theory: lubrication and foreplay made the difference.

Not a theory: vagina stretch loosening

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Someone described someone's dick as "as big as a coke can" the other day and I thought it was an interesting choice of words. I told the dick haver what was said about his dick and he said "okay not quite that big" but I haven't seen it to be sure.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't have numbers in front of me but people with a mental illness are something like 17 times more at risk for being the victim of a violent crime than someone without.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

they are. but they still shouldn't be able to get firearms.

Yes and neither should anyone else.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

As a drug researcher, the drug advice in this thread makes me want to throw up my hands and give up forever.

As a goon, I want to put more wood on the fire. Ayahuasca. Research chemicals. Imodium. All at the same time.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Salvia is the best drug for machine elves, to be fair.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah the creepy machine elves with their crayon factory where nothing is round or soft, they do not give a poo poo about us.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cordon bleu posted:

This. And also low dose DMT in a joint gives no visible machine elves like salvia. You don't have to ego death every time. Just make sure you get real DMT or make it.

Ahh that advice sounds like my work self and not my goon self lalalalala.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

henpod posted:

I've been trying to get her to think about therapy...I think she feels that therapy would mean she is in fact crazy. I've said that it's really normal and loads of people do it to work through poo poo. We are both going to yoga tomorrow as she wants to try that, and then acupuncture. If those don't help, she's agreed to let me help find therapy of some sort.

Either way, removing this toxic nice guy tormentor is a good first step. God I wish I had known earlier. I don't know if hes doing it on purpose to hurt her, or he's so crazy he's convinced she will eventually come round once she sees how much he pines for her.

Do you mean his behavior since she said no? If you mean his pattern of behavior in general, it's the latter, plus narcissism and lack of impulse control. If you mean since she said no, it could be sadism/lashing out plus the above.

Loads of people go through therapy to talk about loss. I think mentioning that people see therapists after people die, after there have been natural disasters, etc, can help, also that the therapist could eliminate the possibility that there is anything wrong with her. Like she could think of it as an oil change, you get a little boost, you make sure everything is working, if there are issues you can work on those or make a plan for working on those.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

henpod, I tried to PM you to offer support for your gf, but it seems like you don't have PMs. Just LMK (somehow?) if you need help finding a therapist who is a good fit, and I'm happy to speak with both or either of you on Skype, as a friend, not as a therapist.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

NomChompsky posted:

empirical, developed medicine is always going to beat ancient chinese secrets and stretching.

Ehhh, as a therapist I don't want to say our research base is *that* good. We're working on it, though.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

NomChompsky posted:

okay fair enough but it's better than stretching right?

Well at least stretching should have *some* effect because something is actually happening. I'm not sure what the proposed mechanism of action of "ancient Chinese secrets" is though, the evidence base for acupuncture is dodgy as hell.

That said, there are some studies of acupuncture. You can join us anytime in the pseudoscience thread to read takedowns of those.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

henpod posted:

Thank you so much - yeah I don't have plat but I am so touched for your offer to help. I will remember your username and find a way to get in touch.
Oh it just occurred to me that my work email is public here because I'm recruiting for my study. You can message me at psychedelicsresearch@gmail.com, it's a team email, so just explain who you are and I'll contact you from my personal address.

henpod posted:

This is all so true. One of her greatest fears is being an emotional burden on those around her, and is especially afraid of pushing me away. I'm trying my best to be supportive but it can be difficult - I have no experience with this but I can see her getting better, until a trigger from her past brings it all back. Triggers like this nice guy who is a link to that trauma and can't let it go, because that's the only link he has with her.

I realise this isn't E/N , didn't mean to hijack. Thanks a lot for listening. For content, if you guys are interested, I can transcribe the message he left her so you can get some pure unfiltered NiceGuy, good to the last sordid drop.
Yes. And I can try to fake-diagnose this rear end in a top hat if you'd like.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pick posted:

I tend to think of niceness as instrumental, and in that way neutral, where as kindness is an intrinsic characteristic and inherently good. I know people who are nice who are terrible people, which this thread tends to highlight in a specific way, and I know nice people who are very kind, it's not that closely related. Meanwhile, I also know people who are very kind who don't quite have the social finesse to appear nice. They tend to be my favorite.

Could you please share examples from fiction?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Diagnosis: irredeemable douchebag

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

You cannot get a restraining order with that. He would need to show up in person or threaten to at the very least. But he's not going to because he's a coward who preys on women who are vulnerable. Turn on the lights and the cockroaches scatter. Good riddance.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

Sherlock, from the hit British television series Sherlock

Sherlock Holmes is an example of which type?

Nice and Kind
Nice and unkind
Not nice and kind
Not nice and unkind

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Any other nice guys in recovery have real weird self-esteem issues? Every time a girl's into me I immediately start trying to spot flaws in her character/appearance. If I don't spot any I start making them up. Once I've made a big enough list I drop all communication. This usually takes about 4-6 hours from first meeting her.

I guess I am the whore bitch now.

No seriously though how do I stop doing that

Hello what kind of recovery are you meaning?

Edit: Oh from being a nice guy, never mind.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Saurus posted:

Does this mean that you'll send me psychedelics to take if I offer to be a guinea pig for you??

I'm in

Nah, sorry, that would be illegal. I do survey research on people who do psychedelics. You are welcome to join our control group if you like, though.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Linda, you're tearing me apart!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wait is the husband is too good to me person the same as the dog person? I dont get if it's the same story what happened.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is someone having sex with a dog?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sure I guess I didn't understand the connection between the dog thing and the husband thing and my mind is reaching?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

phasmid posted:

You just need to try harder. If you're a shrink or a social worker or whatever, life's going to throw crazy poo poo at you.

Lol thanks. It's true that I'm a shrink that works at a think tank and my mind is mush right now but I think knowing there's crazy poo poo out there may be why I jumped to "maybe he is accusing her of loving a dog."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

phasmid posted:

I mean I keep my boyfriend in a cage and call him a dog so the issue is muddy at best.

Well where else are you going to keep a dog like him? The bed?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

wait, i think i know that dog and that person irl? is that dog's name "gracie?"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Why'd you tell her to get rid of her dog you creepy gently caress?

i didn't? gracie is a rescue dog that my friend has, and the person in the picture, if i know them, is a roommate.

edit: ha, i forgot what thread i'm in.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The anti choice activists by Metro Center scared the poo poo out of me on Saturday by coming up behind me riding a unicycle and then asking me to help them fight abortions. The man on the loudspeaker said that abortions cost less than $50. *sigh*

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Some in the ladies thread suggested that their unicycling was good because it would be easy to push them over, but I was not in any kind of mood to commit an assault.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

They actually came up behind me and started talking and started me. I was walking to meet a blind date. The conversation went like:
Hi, do you want to join me in fighting against abortion?
(Wren jumps.) What? No thank you.
Sorry for scaring you. (Tries to hand brochure) ... Oh. Okay.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is that what it is? My mind just goes blank when reading those anxiety rants.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have never been so happy to have had single sex education.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It's cool, I just sail through all those asterisks and am right here. Not sure what even was going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pick, are we the same person? :tinfoil: I'm a therapist but work as a researcher, and have developed pretty decent boundaries through my training, so my friend group isn't usually a whirlwind.

However, I went to a event tonight and after being rejected by the third man within 24 hours, spent my a bunch of time reassuring people with depression that they didn't need to feel the weight of obligation to always believe in themselves. When they feel weak they can remember I am believing in them. I have so much joy and love in my life and I want to share it.

• Locked thread