Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Yeah pretty much. But to be honest, I think that men have a bigger problem with it than women mostly because male friendships are fairweather as gently caress. Or they're something that's like the opposite of fairweather, maybe I'd call it like pitchfriends where they keep each other bitter and angry and feeling like failures so that their friends don't realize their lives could be better than that, because if their lives improved, they'd LEAVE!!

A good friend wants what's best for you, even if it might be to the detriment of your specific friendship.

Actually, I think a lot of men have in essence abusive relationships with one another (just non-sexually). Like, they're afraid that their friends getting GFs and whatever will rip them away, so they subtly tear down their friends or ruin their self-esteem so that they'll stay.

wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Moon Atari posted:

I think men have a bigger problem with it because men are more likely to experience complete rejection. As a woman you might be rejected by a man you want, or even have to lower your standards, but with the knowledge that there will always be men out there who want you as you are, even if they are men you don't want. Whereas men can be rejected entirely, such that there is nobody who wants them. Plus it is far less likely for them to have women approach them, so they can experience extended, unbroken periods of feeling unwanted by the opposite sex in a way women are unlikely to.

That turns into resentment when efforts to improve themselves fail to produce results. This isn't helped by the things a man needs to improve to be datable being more all encompassing of who they are as a person (e.g personality, life accomplishments etc) than their appearance, because this means they are being told that they are fundamentally unworthy of love as they are now.

As far as male friendship goes, men do not support each others efforts to get girlfriends because it is considered shameful to need that support.

post your sources

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Moon Atari posted:

It is directly stated by the angry sad dudes as what they feel. See jon pop's entire post history as an example. It also seems uncontroversial that more men than women have no sex life at all but would like to, especially when the only rebuttal to it is that some women are lonely because they would rather not lower their standards. As much as talk of sexual market forces is tainted by creepy people it is true that men and women face different pressures and annoyances in the dating game, with different failure states. A guy with no game will experience no expression of romantic or sexual interest directed towards him, and if he takes this poorly he starts freaking out about all women being whores who only want 'chads' and maybe does the 'man going his own way' thing. A woman with no game will not have romantic or sexual interest directed at her from the people she would like or in the manner she would like, and if she takes it poorly she starts complaining about all men being lovely partners who only want sex and maybe does the 'political lesbian' thing.

People who experience the lovely end of the dating spectrum tend to envy the experience of the other gender, so you get lonely dudes who have never had someone so much as look their way who are pissed at women complaining about too much attention, while you get women who are constantly hounded by crappy dudes who are pissed at men for complaining that they have it hard in dating.

Rutibex posted:

i think the problem is a certain percentage of people just are not suited for finding mates in an industrialized society with infinite choices. we are designed for a tribal band no bigger than 50 or so, where everyone would get a shot just because of lack of variety and options. once we started building cities we came up with all sorts of elaborate marriage and sex regulation schemes, because the way our sexuality is wired is not suited for groups of millions of people all together. unfortunately all of these schemes were tied into religion, and when the west went atheist it threw the baby out with the bathwater. now we have anime figurines instead. :shrug:

i think many in our society would benefit from an arranged marriage system, for some

I have arranged a marriage between you Rutibex, and you Moon Atari. You may now kiss each other.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Troposphere posted:

you're dumb

dumb as hell

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Adbot