Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Whatev posted:

I think it's much more than they are dickless little babies who are terrified or rejection

I think it's a little bit of both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Moon Atari posted:

'nice guys' seem like they are caught in a sad state where they mostly hate themselves and feel like the only way they will be loved is by shaping their entire life and personality to please the woman, but they are also angry at women for 'making them' feel that way about themselves. They are frustrated and flip between blaming themselves and blaming women.

This it exactly. At the same, it's perfectly okay and normal to feel sad and frustrated (for a period of time, at least) about someone you want to gently caress not wanting to gently caress you. Just don't blame the other person for it. Wallow in self-hatred, commit to a regimen of self-improvement, do whatever, I don't care, just don't blame the other person for not being sexually attracted to you.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pick posted:

Yeah pretty much. But to be honest, I think that men have a bigger problem with it than women mostly because male friendships are fairweather as gently caress. Or they're something that's like the opposite of fairweather, maybe I'd call it like pitchfriends where they keep each other bitter and angry and feeling like failures so that their friends don't realize their lives could be better than that, because if their lives improved, they'd LEAVE!!

A good friend wants what's best for you, even if it might be to the detriment of your specific friendship.

Actually, I think a lot of men have in essence abusive relationships with one another (just non-sexually). Like, they're afraid that their friends getting GFs and whatever will rip them away, so they subtly tear down their friends or ruin their self-esteem so that they'll stay.

Yeah Pick no. Guy friends rib on each other because that's how we bond. There's absolutely no bitterness or anger involved there unless you have lovely guy friends, which of course some people do, but I wouldn't say most.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RobattoJesus posted:

This is a good example of the difference between sexy crazy and crazy crazy. The difference is basically that with sexy crazy they're rubbing your genitals at the same time so you temporarily forget that they're nuts.

Sexual ear piercing is just crazy crazy.

what is sexual ear piercing

is there a strap-on involved

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pick posted:

I know many women who have never believed they were desired by literally anyone and would fall head-over-heels for anyone who showed the slightest interest. They are not pretty though.

Of course there are many women suffering from the same problem, but I think it is a problem that is certainly much more familiar to men than it is to women. That doesn't mean women don't have their own equally valid problems mostly specific to their own gender. This isn't some contest to see who has it the worst.

oldpainless posted:

I don't even understand why the "friend zone" is a bad thing. Why is having friends a negative thing? I like having all my friends here in GBS :)

Having friends is good. Being romantically attracted to someone and having them not reciprocate, and being sad and frustrated about that, is a normal thing which literally everyone has experienced in some way at some point in their lives (and if they say they haven't they're either a completely asexual shut-in or a liar). Blaming the person for not reciprocating your feelings and lashing out at them is not good and it is not okay. If you feel you are unable to be friends with someone because of your strong romantic feelings towards them, that is also normal and okay, and does not make you a sexually-entitled MRA monster, as long as you accept that the problem is solely on your end and continue to treat them with respect whenever you encounter them.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

is that what pick's referring to?? because being a GBS poster it doesn't seem like something she wouldn't get since we always do that

I think SA is probably closer to what Pick's talking about than what I'm talking about, to be honest. At least some of the time.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

post your sources

Everything he posted is pretty self-evidently true unless you're in complete denial about the world, except for the last sentence, which I don't agree with.

Men and women suffer from different problems. Men tend to suffer more from crippling loneliness and feelings of being completely unwanted, women tend to suffer more from constant negative attention from predators and assholes and feelings of being wanted only for sex.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Troposphere posted:

women definitely suffer from crippling loneliness example me

Yeah, obviously. I never said they didn't, just that it does seem to be much more of a source of angst for men than women generally. It's probably part (big emphasis on "part") of the reason men kill themselves in much higher numbers than women.

Conversely, women suffer from eating disorders and body image issues in significantly higher numbers than men. Lots of men have body image issues too, and it's important not to discount that, but I don't think it's a huge source of existential angst for them in the way that it is for many women.

We're purposefully speaking broadly about genders as groups here, so of course these generalizations may not reflect your or my individual experience.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 25, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tumble posted:

Man I was upset for the evening, but then I remained her friend and also slept with a few of her other friends too.

Kinda hosed up that you used your friend like that, buddy. That's what you were after all along, wasn't it? Admit it, you sex-crazed barbarian.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RobattoJesus posted:

Unsurprising that women think men are shits

well, high school boys certainly.

also, high school girls

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I think ladies smell nice and have a soft skin ;D

as long as they put the lotion on the skin

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

sometimes they go to the bathroom in my mouth :stonkhat:

that's pretty unladylike

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think we should all choose to be gay together, if only for tonight

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Oscar Wild posted:

Jesus christ. Men are the worst.

this is u

https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/580823401993912320

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

heh *rolls eyes 50 times* SPOORTSBALL!

i've only ever heard girls say this IRL

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

"M-m-mommy?"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

dog buttz posted:

As someone who has been falsely accused of rape by a vindictive ex who only admitted we never had any sexual contact when I told her that she could take me to court or I could take her to court, I can assure you that my bottom of the barrel has very little to do with looks.

But I thought this basically never happened? I mean, it's remotely possible you're telling the truth, but I'm afraid the overwhelming odds are in favor of you actually just being an unrepentant rapist. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

The exact same thing happened to my brother.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I once threw some dick at the OP's mom.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The only episode I remember of Everybody Loves Raymond was one where Debra was yelling at Ray about something, he brought up her being mean when she is on her period and played a recording of her screaming at him like a psychopath, and in response she burst into tears and was even more upset that he recorded her yelling at him.

that sounds...uh...really funny....

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

Laughing at people lower down the social ladder, and people with neurological disorders

Well, as I always say, if you can't laugh at yourself....

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
You should care about what someone thinks of you only if you're doing something that has the potential to tangibly affect their quality of life, or if they're someone whose opinion you actually have a good reason to value. Otherwise, you shouldn't give a poo poo.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
We don't live in small tight-knit communities of 150-200 people like we did when we evolved to our more-or-less current configuration back in hunter-gatherer times. Back then it made sense to care about what everyone you met thought about you because you were all directly involved in each other's lives and knew each other on a personal and continuing basis. If you were a jerk or a weirdo it could potentially have real, negative consequences for the entire small community.

Our brains still think like that but we don't live in those kinds of small communities anymore. The random nameless person you pass by on the street of a city containing thousands or millions of residents has neither the right nor the legitimate need to judge you on a personal level. Your brain may be telling you otherwise, but you are free to ignore your brain in such cases.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

I still want to know what kind of responses to that kid's comment might have been. Especially if the girl herself replied.

To a comment like that, there's only one way she could have replied. She never stood a chance.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

If there's one cosmic truth social media has taught me, it's that 90% of the world's meltdown prone nice guys (and gals) work as stand up comedians. This reminded me of how any time a comedian says a stupid joke on Twitter or whatever it just takes like one person saying the joke sucks and they have a multi hour meltdown. It's amazing to see unfold and it always comes from ones with reputations of "You...you're all too weak to take a joke!!! Grow thicker skin! The sacred right of humor has been ruined by MilllllLLLEEENNNIIIAAAALLLSSSS (the person is invariably like 31 also)!!!!!"

you seem really upset about comedy

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pick posted:

Power moves:

1. remember my middle name
2. text me a picture of a spider you found and released outside (bravery)
3. text me a picture of a spider that you saw at the zoo
4. invite me to do fun things that are slightly out of both of our comfort zones (hot air balloon?)
5. inform me of something nice you encountered that reminded you of me
6. say "I am happy to see you" when you see me
7. say you like it when i laugh or appear happy
8. have earnest conversations with me
9. feed me beets

What would you do if, just before a date, unprompted, a guy sent you a picture of the hugest, reddest, most tasty-looking beet you ever saw

And he told you it was his. It was his beet.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jst0rm posted:

reading this thread is amazing. Women have to deal with this poo poo? Im sorry.

Haha, that's a pretty good impression of a Nice Guy. Well done.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

To put it simply, people that were raised by anime and 80s movies were taught that "no" just means "not yet"

Well, to be fair, that's how it worked when I wouldn't stop bugging my mom to buy me a Nintendo.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Is there an enemy zone?

Yeah, and you're in it, "buddy".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

I always hear about how kitchen folk are hosed up all the time but you must have taken it to another level

As someone who grew up in the same culture, in relatively the same income bracket, during the same years as this fuckwit can someone please point me to the explicit examples where male virginity was unironically shamed en masse? Did he think American Pie was a documentary?

Being a 22-year-old male virgin is definitely something that will get you shamed by people, dude. Obviously it's not as bad as Elliott Rodgers made it out to be, because he was an insane homicidal maniac with a broken brain, but being a male virgin into your twenties is definitely something that will get you mocked by your peers, because it's weird.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

dunno know that I've ever seen someone blame the holocaust on women before

well we have to blame someone

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Stuntman posted:

stopped reading here, recommend others do the same

Having unrequited romantic feelings for someone is something that happens and is not the sole province of MRA Redditor fedora lords. If you genuinely dispute that, I'd have to question the degree to which you're in touch with this little thing we call the human experience.

Obviously there's a right way and a wrong way to deal with such feelings, but it's not always as simple as just turning them off like a light switch. That's not how....anything works.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pick posted:

Yeah but it comes across that men expect their gf to do the heavy lifting for a ton of the emotional weight that their friends ought to be helping them with already

One of the benefits of having an intimate relationship with someone is that you can get things from them emotionally that you can't get from your friends. Otherwise there'd be no difference between being someone's friend and being someone's girl/boyfriend other than the periodic genital stimulation component.

Pick posted:

How many of your friends have a permanent key to your house and implicit permission to borrow your stuff without asking?

None of them. They can ask if they can come over and I'll usually say yes because we're friends. They can ask if they can borrow something and I'll usually say yes because we're friends. This is normal.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Arian_Samurai posted:

Just my racist friend Kramer

Kramer isn't racist! Michael Richards is. :colbert:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Moon Atari posted:

I thought I had really good friends with a nice house they would let me chill in and borrow stuff from, but it turns out I had joined a library. I still don't completely understand how it works but they've told me to think of it like a non-paying customer service relationship rather than a friendship. They are actually quite insistent about that. People complaining about being friendzoned don't know the true pain of finding yourself libraryzoned by all your best friends.

lol

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pick posted:

Gibbons are monogamous.

Also I used to go to the zoo and do work near the gibbons because they'd sing to confirm their relationship every single day. Envied that lady gibbon for sure.

Gibbons are socially but not sexually monogamous.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Salty Josh posted:

Good guy tale of the day:

So I've been frequenting a coffee shop near my workplace. I usually go there each evening. On some days there is this barista with pristine blue eyes and a genuine personality you can't fake --even for tips.
We get to talking and share a few good laughs most days. We end up saying the same things at the same times a lot. And when she thinks I'm not looking she'll quietly stare at me while she cleans the espresso machine.
Being the salty gently caress I am, it took me a while to realize that she isn't putting up a front. I usually don't talk to the baristas since most of them are FI's that expect a huge tip for a simple conversation even though they still get paid better than minimum wage.

Problem is by the time I get there it's real late and she's pretty exhausted. And a lot of the time our conversations are cut short by other customers coming in or the tiredness that she's become accustomed to. This morning I was cleaning out my flower beds and came upon a single, pink rose among all the weeds and wilted ones. It's sweet smell permeated through the stench of rotten leaves and I picked it. I thought about tossing it, but realized it was an analogy to all the lovely people that surround me everyday, and the rose that barista because she was the only beautiful thing in my day most weeks. I come in for my usual, and she already has it waiting on the counter. She walks to the back for a moment, and I take the rose out of my sleeve and set it in the tip jar. She didn't notice it while I was there.

We had had a conversation yesterday about the tip jar and the sound the money made when it fell out. And how some people become accustomed to the smell and the sound and never look beyond what it can buy.

It's been a long time since I've felt the need to express my desire for somebody through the use of analogies and symbolism. I hope it works. However, my office is moving, and I won't be able to frequent that shop too much as it is on the other side of town. Even if I never see her again, even if at worst I forget what she looks like , at least I gave it a shot -- let her know that someone gave a poo poo enough to bring her a flower to try and brighten her evening.

You sound like a genuinely nice guy who had nothing but good intentions. Regardless, I've forwarded this post to the police. Please don't rape and/or murder that poor girl.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

I feel sympathy knowing that every woman in the service industry is forced to put up with this. Even when I worked in a hospital it was painfully obvious when a male patient was eye-loving one of the younger nurses. So I go through service transactions confident in my ability to treat other human beings with casual respect--and not in some recursive "look at how chivalrous I'm being give me a cookie and blowjob" way--and it's darkly funny how some of younger women seem taken aback by basic decency.

Yes, these women are practically in awe of you for being "one of the good ones." They're not just being nice to you because it's their job. LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This thread is so good

• Locked thread