Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Irom posted:

Sooooo many half-life mods

^^^

I also miss Diablo 2, Jedi Outcast, UT99

And Battlefield 2142 (the best one IMO). Although I remember playing a lot with people who had their own servers, and as admins they did not handle losing very well, and often banned people for beating them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaxtW55ZdI

e: Supreme Commander

ee: Total Annihilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mZZiI4ShQ

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I just remembered Global Agenda, which I had a few hundred hours in. I would say that Warframe comes closest to replacing that game.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Spy vs Merc pvp was pretty great, I think that was the first time I had used my PS2 to play a game online.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know what it is but everything about UT after UT99 feels sluggish and weird. They went the right direction adding stuff like double jumps and wall dodging, but then they went backwards with some weapon changes. I am giving UT4 the benefit of the doubt because its in an early stage and feels the most like UT99 aside from actually playing UT99.

- The pulse gun became the link gun, with the idea of promoting teamwork by using secondary fire to increase team mate damage (or something), but the gun has always looked and sounded bad imo since it became the link gun.
- The rocket launcher in UT99 could fire up to 6 rockets or grenades at a time, which was awesomely destructive and ridiculous. Over a long distance rockets would fan out for maximum destruction. Later versions of the rocket launcher allow you to fire a single shot, or queue up 3 rockets with secondary fire (no grenades), I think the fire rate was slower if you fired one rocket a time with the secondary fire for some reason. The new rocket launcher secondary fires the rockets in quick succession instead of all at once, which is an ok change.
- Flak cannon velocity of each shot has been reduced, and the secondary shot does not fly as far.
- Translocator doesn't fly as far, has a new tracer effect which imo looks really bad. IIRC UT2004 even had a recharging ammo limit to prevent spam.
- Minigun got changed from a literal minigun with bullets and awesome rapid fire to the Stinger Minigun which slowly shoots bits of rock at people (the Stinger is a gun from Unreal which fired 'tarydium shards' so its like part of the lore and they need to work that into the game somehow even though Unreal and Unreal Tournament were barely related outside of being made in the same engine. Even just bringing back the Stinger would have been more interesting).

mind the walrus posted:

Because so far it's exactly like the old unreal tournament in the most mediocre sense of the word. It was a blast the first round to rotate the old arsenal and then I remembered how loving boring the game could be. Maybe that will change as it gets into alpha (hasn't it been pre alpha for like three years now?) but at the outset it needs to be faster and the physics need to make you feel tougher.

I totally agree. Compare these videos, you can see the difference. UT99 you were flying around super fast and people would just explode in your face, but then they added poo poo like ragdoll physics which makes it feel like you cut the strings off of a puppet instead of blowing them into pieces. Stuff like the announcer voice also feels like a massive joke now, because it seems like everything you do gets announced in the over the top voice (impact hammer kill 'PANCAAAAKED', flak cannon 'SHREDDED', someone fires the redeemer 'LAUNCH DETECTED'). The same announcer is used in DOTA 2 for when people get kill streaks.

UT99 -Fast as gently caress, non stop action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYL04AN_07g

UT2k4 - Not a great comparison video, but you can see that the overall movement speed is much slower (to be fair the guy is running a low gravity mod).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-jm5tKEFE

UT3 - Had a hard time finding an ok video of this. This person uses the translocator enough to see the range is severely reduced from UT99. The amount of room to move in each base has increased a lot. I think this was around the point where they started creating major themes for each 'faction' and added a cinematic single player campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5eWwdMuxU

UT4 - Feels like an inbetween of UT99 and UT3. The jumps are less 'floaty' but the movement feels a bit faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dEmppGcqnk

e: I loving care about this game!
ee: holy poo poo the guy fires rocket grenades in the UT4 video! I was wrong (they didnt go very far though).

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 31, 2016

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Hidden servers I used to play had disabled the one shot kill move, so you had to get 3 hits on every person to kill them. Other things you could do are pick up a body, leap with it and then let go in mid air to fling it across the map, or land on top of a guy camping in a corner (landing on people did no damage) and dangle a dead body in their face.

• Locked thread