Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Psuedoscience is good and fun and I will probably never stop thinking about this to waste time, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What if the reason why people think full universe simulation is impossible is because the simulation we live in has a hard coded rule that prevents simulations within simulations and this is just how it manifests?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

kedo posted:

What if the reason why people think full universe simulation is impossible is because the simulation we live in has a hard coded rule that prevents simulations within simulations and this is just how it manifests?

Even VMWare supports nested virtualization. I refuse to believe VMWare developers are more competent than the universe because all other evidence suggests the contrary.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
A big part of my argument with this is the limits of observation. In the early days of astronomy, it was possible to mathematically prove the theory of geocentricity given the appropriate data--and was done multiple times to disprove those drat heretical heliocentrists. I believe the same case is true with full universe simulation, it is impossible given our current understanding and limits of observation .

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As soon we get full universe simulation technology you can guarantee some will be performed to answer some big what-if questions based on events with historical significance.

What if the nazi campaign was successful?
What if JFK hadn't been shot?
What if Trump had actually been elected? <---our simulation right now

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
If I understand correctly, we live in a simulation, and the most likely end of the world scenario is that Congress (the real one, not our simulated one) pulls God's research funding? I mean, I guess it's shameful that the taxpayers are getting overburdened so that we can exist.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

weak wrists big dick posted:

Why simulate a universe exactly like your own?
Data.
Why simulate a universe not like our own?
Also data.

Gym Leader Barack posted:

What if the simulation was performed just to farm ideas? Like it runs to completion and spits out a comprehensive list of notable inventions, songs and concepts made by faux-earth, which can then be repackaged and sold to real-earth.
Both of these are making me think that most of what you would want this for can be gotten by AI/very limited simulations (ranging from possible today to maybe just past what will ever be possible).

Like, what if someone studied pro Go games and played games against itself for a long time to get better at Go? We have more or less simulated that in the development of AlphaGo. Similarly, simulating studying over 100,000 sentences for lip reading was done recently to great success in a limited sphere.

What if we could simulate a lot of incremental improvements in antenna design to skip to a really good one? NASA was using evolved antennae a decade ago.

You don't need to simulate a whole universe to get new songs when AIs can write them on their own: Here's a song written by an AI.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]
What if I want all the data, ever?
Generated all at once, you know, like a full universe simulation

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

What if I want all the data, ever?
Generated all at once, you know, like a full universe simulation

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=4096

Too bad Cyber Monday has passed.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

shame on an IGA posted:

Data storage. To simulate the behavior of every single particle in the universe, first you'll need a database with initial states for every particle in the universe.

Let's keep it simple and say the universe only contains one proton. You'll need some kind of physical storage media that can encode at the very minimum the fact that this particle is a proton, its position, and it's velocity. And that coordinate system has to be an insane number of bits to keep subatomic precision over universal distances.

So there's a bunch of atoms to record data on a single hydrogen nucleus, never mind a processor or RAM to do anything with that data.

now multiply that by every particle in the universe.

e: and yeah Heisenberg means you cant have the position and velocity at the same time, but there are PLENTY of other reasons this is impossible.

This is true for classical computing, but what about quantum? I don't know a lot about quantum computing, but AFAIK qubits combined together can store an exponential increase in data with every qubit added. With our current understanding of quantum computing, does this make a universal simulation more possible in theory?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

qhat posted:

This is true for classical computing, but what about quantum? I don't know a lot about quantum computing, but AFAIK qubits combined together can store an exponential increase in data with every qubit added. With our current understanding of quantum computing, does this make a universal simulation more possible in theory?

I don't know a lot about quantum computing either, but I know that this is wrong.

(And it's pretty clear this wouldn't work anyway - you need to simulate all the quantum dynamics of the universe you're simulating!)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
It's the pigeonhole principle, basically. You can't have guaranteed storage of every possible state of the entire universe with anything less than the entire universe itself.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is a *lot* of the universe that does gently caress all most of the time, it would be really easy to cull a lot of useless processing for anything not being directly observed (like a fps game not rendering the world behind you until you look that way). Why bother rendering a bathroom/inside the earth/entire galaxies if no-one is in there to see it?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Finally an answer for the "If a tree falls in a forest" question.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

There is a *lot* of the universe that does gently caress all most of the time, it would be really easy to cull a lot of useless processing for anything not being directly observed (like a fps game not rendering the world behind you until you look that way). Why bother rendering a bathroom/inside the earth/entire galaxies if no-one is in there to see it?
Computing what needs to be calculated and what doesn't is probably at least as hard as whatever savings you are getting. Like you can get a good enough simulation by ditching atoms almost all the time, but figuring out when the precise position of a particular atom would matter is essentially the same as tracking all atoms. Similarly with macro scale stuff, a bathroom or galaxies left alone for X amount time needs to degrade/move/whatever at some point (which you have to figure out), at which point you get to fast forward through whatever accuracy is deemed necessary (which again has to be figured out), and if the accuracy necessary is perfect, you haven't saved anything, just moved computation forward.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you are trying to do a "full" simulation of the universe then you'd be cutting out unseen processes that have massive effects that are observed later on. Like no one is directly observing the constant process of global plate tectonics but they have had a huge effect on everything and a simulation that left that sort of thing out would be pretty inaccurate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big part of my argument with this is the limits of observation. In the early days of astronomy, it was possible to mathematically prove the theory of geocentricity given the appropriate data--and was done multiple times to disprove those drat heretical heliocentrists. I believe the same case is true with full universe simulation, it is impossible given our current understanding and limits of observation .

It's super illogical to assume "because some things are possible literally anything must be possible". What you're doing is the same thing as arguing magic must exist (because since we made airplanes obviously literally everything must be possible, right?).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Ytlaya posted:

It's super illogical to assume "because some things are possible literally anything must be possible". What you're doing is the same thing as arguing magic must exist (because since we made airplanes obviously literally everything must be possible, right?).

I mean, the technically logical position to hold is that anything can happen and is possible. That's purely because all our observation is just that, and all our extrapolation from it is simply inductive. But we tend to ignore that for convenience's sake.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
What, like No Man's Sky?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

to accurately simulate a system of complexity N, you must do so within a system of complexity >N.

Quantifying complexity is left as an exercise for the reader.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]

Parahexavoctal posted:

to accurately simulate a system of complexity N, you must do so within a system of complexity >N.

Quantifying complexity is left as an exercise for the reader.

If P = NP I donate $1000 to SA :toxx:

e: if its proven or whatever

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Uncertainty principle aside, even classical physics cannot be simulated with true accuracy, except in certain systems for certain periods of time. There is no way to record the exact position of a particle: Infinite-precision numbers would be required.

Hell, even simulating a completely classical double pendulum is impossible. "Infinitesimally close initial conditions lead to arbitrarily large divergences as the system evolves." In other words, recording the initial position and velocity with a precision of a trillion digits might give a simulation accurate to one part in a billion a few seconds later, then one part in a million a few seconds after that, then to one part in a thousand, then it's really not all that accurate.

(And a machine that deals with infinite precision/analog quantities isn't really a "computer" working with "data", is it? It would have to be some other physical system which behaves just like the original system but faster somehow.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If P = NP I donate $1000 to SA :toxx:

e: if its proven or whatever

P=NP;
return (P==NP);

:reject:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Neither P=NP nor a working quantum computer would make this dumb idea viable fyi, they're very specific things not "your computer is magic now"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeza posted:

I mean, the technically logical position to hold is that anything can happen and is possible. That's purely because all our observation is just that, and all our extrapolation from it is simply inductive. But we tend to ignore that for convenience's sake.

Yeah, but I think that's more in the sense of "we can't say anything is impossible", right? Rather than "everything can definitely be done somehow."

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but I think that's more in the sense of "we can't say anything is impossible", right? Rather than "everything can definitely be done somehow."

Just so, it means that we can't say for sure that something is impossible. Our only weapon is subjective observation and we have no means of accessing the objective nature of the universe, so the logician's position is to withhold judgement on what is or isn't possible. They don't claim anything is possible because that would require knowledge that is inaccessible to us. It's like factual agnosticism. So in a way, you could say "anything is possible" in the informal sense, like we do for situations about which we have no understanding or foreknowledge.

Basically the logical thing to say about everything is "I don't know and can't know for sure" which is pretty bleak and understandably science neatly steps over that little pebble of doubt on the justification that "hey, it seems to be working out alright so far."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The field of information theory was basically created to call this line of questioning stupid

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The simulation would require an absurd amount of knowledge, and then you would have to program it all perfectly. One little error, one flipped sign, that could lead to vastly different outcomes.

Designing said simulator would also be massively difficult, and the question of what we would gain would need to be answered. What is the output of this machine.

You also have to assume that hardware faults and blips would create further issues.

Even today, a lot of things we use require us to make assumptions.

Take weather forecasting. There are numerous assumptions that are made in each system, and so they look at what the output is, and look for convergence. And they weigh different simulations at different times differently, so one model is less accurate with hurricanes.

We can't even determine with accuracy the planets orbits really far into the future (uncertainty creeps in pretty far, but it creeps in).

Basically, it would be impossible to build and design, and even if we did it, it would be too inaccurate to be valuable.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What if we are the inaccurate simulation of a superior universe? One where the speed of light is a billion times quicker and galaxies talk to each other all the time, aint no thang. Draw distance has been effectively reduced by slowing the speed of light, not enough to cause any interference with the solar system, but enough so that neighboring galaxies become entirely unreachable and don't need to be rendered.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

We should seed the universe with Von Neumann machines that put little cameras everywhere and then create AIs sentient enough that they can be considered observers so that basically everything is observed all the time and then we laugh when the framerate starts chugging and alien god gets really pissed.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What if we are the inaccurate simulation of a superior universe? One where the speed of light is a billion times quicker and galaxies talk to each other all the time, aint no thang. Draw distance has been effectively reduced by slowing the speed of light, not enough to cause any interference with the solar system, but enough so that neighboring galaxies become entirely unreachable and don't need to be rendered.

If you think about it, looking up into the night sky and seeing the stars is nothing else but your light receptors interacting with far away stars and even galaxies.

It's the direct, unmediated interaction of your eyes and a loving star thousands of light years away. :smugdog:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that doesn't sound superior. this place is too crowded as it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I imagine that if you just scaled everything down that a bunch of the way the universe functions would also break in various ways. I'm too lazy to think of exactly how, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't just slow everything down by an order of X and have everything still work, only slower.

edit: That being said, there isn't really any reason why you couldn't argue "maybe people in some other universe are simulating our universe in a way completely unlike their own universe", though such an argument would just lead one to conclude there's an endless chain of simulated universes of increasing complexity (isn't this the basis of some logical argument that there's a .9999... chance our universe is simulated?).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 4, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The argument is roughly that given sufficient technological advancement, we (or other species) will create full universe simulations (for some reason), and to reach that level of technology is also unlikely. Therefore to assume we are the original, base universe and we just haven't reached universe simulation levels of technological prowess yet is extremely presumptuous. and the likelihood is extreme that our universe is simply a simulation from another.

Some smart people believe this, but some smart people believe very silly things too. The original premises are far too shaky to have any real faith in the supposed categorical outcome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeza posted:

The argument is roughly that given sufficient technological advancement, we (or other species) will create full universe simulations (for some reason), and to reach that level of technology is also unlikely. Therefore to assume we are the original, base universe and we just haven't reached universe simulation levels of technological prowess yet is extremely presumptuous. and the likelihood is extreme that our universe is simply a simulation from another.

Some smart people believe this, but some smart people believe very silly things too. The original premises are far too shaky to have any real faith in the supposed categorical outcome.

The way I feel about logical arguments like that (that have really outlandish conclusions) is that the proper response to them is "there is probably something wrong with this logic that I haven't figured out yet" rather than "the conclusion of this logic is correct."

If I had to guess, I feel like the problem with that logic is that it takes as an assumption the fact that full universe simulation will be possible with sufficient technological advancement in the first place. Though I guess the logic does seem to work if we somehow knew that to, in fact be possible.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jeza posted:

What is the source of the "extreme likelihood" that a sufficiently advanced civilization would create a full universe simulation?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Earwicker posted:

What is the source of the "extreme likelihood" that a sufficiently advanced civilization would create a full universe simulation?

Just the standard technological singularity catch-all. I don't think it's likely at all, and I'm sceptical as to whether it's even plausible. But the idea is that we'd be so kneedeep in computing power that it would only take one person/AI to want to do it for any reason at all, even for no good reason, thus it is much more likely we live in one of those simulations than in the "real" universe.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Running a 1:1 simulation of the universe is a tremendous ethically quandary. You would be recreating a breathtakingly impossible-to-comprehend amount of unnecessary harm and suffering. Image today how many people suffer in food insecure poverty, and are ravaged by war and disease. How many throughout history and into the future? On other worlds? Think about how lovely yet real to experience it is for you (assuming you are in a simulation) then recreating that 1:1 would be a hard thing to swallow if you step back and consider those consequences. You would be bringing to life consciousness that will suffer and die in your simulation, and in horrifying ways. You would be absolutely remiss in undertaking such an experiment and an ethics review board should rightfully deny your attempt.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you blind fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]

Goodpancakes posted:

Running a 1:1 simulation of the universe is a tremendous ethically quandary. You would be recreating a breathtakingly impossible-to-comprehend amount of unnecessary harm and suffering. Image today how many people suffer in food insecure poverty, and are ravaged by war and disease. How many throughout history and into the future? On other worlds? Think about how lovely yet real to experience it is for you (assuming you are in a simulation) then recreating that 1:1 would be a hard thing to swallow if you step back and consider those consequences. You would be bringing to life consciousness that will suffer and die in your simulation, and in horrifying ways. You would be absolutely remiss in undertaking such an experiment and an ethics review board should rightfully deny your attempt.

New SimCity looking good

• Locked thread