Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
this thread is dogshit

please talk about the content of filmstruck in the normal criterion thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2116939 or at https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion and let this thread die

nobody can help you if you're having tech issues. contact their support.

nobody can tell you when it's getting ported to the ouya. save yourself the stress and buy an actual streaming device. it's like $40

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh boy, more fracturing of the streaming landscape and one less reason to care about Hulu (bringing the number down to "zero").

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't think there's a NDA against me and they publicly talked about the beta test so I'll post my impressions so far. (but I'll also avoid too much specific detail or screenshots)

The app is minimalist when compared to other streaming apps. It's not a cluttered UI like Netflix. It has a simple grey background, sections of the app listed on the left third of the screen and the stuff within those sections on the right. I'll go down by section.

FilmStruck - The first thing you see when you fire up the app is curated collections that they list as themes. This ranges from specific directors, cinematographers, certain partnerships, regions, subjects, genre, micro-genres, music by, based on, films starring a certain actor and world discoveries (basically their way of highlighing 'rare gems'). Each collection has it's own original artwork that looks fantastic on TV. In the center of that is the title of the collection, number of movies and a paragraph on the collection. You click right and it will bring up the list of movies.

Currently, there's 26 specific themes/collections available to browse.

There's a decent amount of original content created specifically for FilmStruck. For example, there's a 10 minute original on Akira Kuroawa and a 8 minute original on Marcello Mastroianni under their respective collections. Certain movies also have a host introduction you can watch before you watch the movie. The host leaves something to be desired (it's no Robert Osborne) but the fact they're trying to present something different when it comes to streaming services is pretty exciting.

Search - where you can search by title, actor or director

Browse - This is genre based. Adventure, Comedy, Crime, Documentary, Drama, Horror, Musical, Romance, Silent, Mystery and War. Each movie listing has a picture of the main actor, the title and the year.

When you select a title, imagine the screen split in half.

On the left side, you get the Criterion cover (or a screenshot if it doesn't have one). That's where the play button is. Sometimes, the movie has a trailer button too. Picture quality is hit and miss on the trailers (some almost look VHS sourced) but the fact it's even an option is a welcomed addition.

On the right side, you have the title, year, length, genre(s), a paragraph description of the movie, cast and director. That's also where the +watchlist and host intro (if there's one) buttons are. I can't stress how good it looks on my TV. It's such a breath of fresh air when compared to Netflix or Hulu. Very clean looking in the style you'd expect from Criterion.

Watchlist - Where you can see the movies you added to your watchlist. They seem to listed by release date, newest to oldest.

Settings - Currently just information about the beta plus a log-out button. I imagine when this launches for real, it will also have information about your account and the ability to add the Criterion Channel to your subscription.

At the moment, it's just a handful of Criterion titles but - like it said in the press release - select movies from Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, along with movies from Hollywood's major movie studios including Warner Bros will be available. Even cooler is they seem to be making host intros for some of those films so those extras aren't going to be limited to just Criterion or TCM stuff.

For what I can piece together, the premium add-on, The Criterion Channel is going to be it's own section on the app. So FilmStruck and below that The Criterion Channel. From Criterion's press release, ''Once we’re up and running, the Criterion Channel will not only offer continual access to our library of more than 1,100 films, along with their special features, it will also give us the chance to approach the Criterion mission in a whole new way. After thirty years of focusing exclusively on one film or cycle of films at a time, we will now be able to feature a steady stream of original content that runs across filmographies, genres, time periods, and themes. We’ll reach outside our library to include films from major studios and independent rights holders. We’ll tap into our community of filmmakers and experts to act as guest curators and highlight archival discoveries not available on disc or anywhere else.'

That's where I was worried about price. I could easily see them trying $8.99 a month for FilmStruck and an additional $9.99-$14.99 a month for The Criterion Channel on top of that. Film buffs are known for being willing to pay a premium but I hope they don't price themselves out of the range of average movie fans.

Overall, I'm super excited for this. It really seems targeted as a service for movie fans.

[had to pull the teaser screenshot since it breaks tos with the beta. sorry]

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh boy, more fracturing of the streaming landscape and one less reason to care about Hulu (bringing the number down to "zero").

At least it's Criterion & TCM teaming up with a bunch of indie and major studios to license the best films possible instead of the normal vanity streaming service *cough* Warner Archive Instant */cough*

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 27, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, yeah, holy poo poo that owns :stare: If this is cheap I'm buying in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any word if this will be coming to game consoles or Roku boxes?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any word if this will be coming to game consoles or Roku boxes?

This is my main concern. Right now I do all my streaming through a game console and its extremely convenient, I'd rather have to use a separate piece of equipment just for Filmstuck/Criterion.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I imagine Roku is in the works. No word on game consoles but probably?

Currently, the beta is only for 'Web/Online, iPad, Android Tablet, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV' - My description was about the Fire TV app.

And I found a little more information about the service itself while trying to find details on devices.

quote:

The FilmStruck library will carry films from indie studios including Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, along with movies from Warner Bros. and other major studios. The service will be similar to TCM’s cable programming, offering bonus content and commentary for various films. The film selections will include rotating access to more than 1,000 titles from the Janus Films library, many of which are unavailable on DVD or elsewhere, according to Criterion Collection president Peter Becker.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/turner-tcm-movie-filmstruck-criterion-1201760737/#article-comments

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I filled out their survey a couple weeks ago, but no beta invite for me. Really excited to see what the final product will look like, although I hope it's not over $20 a month

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Had to pull the teaser screenshot but I found some more information on their site.

quote:

What can I expect for the Fall Launch of FilmStruck?

Thousands of critically acclaimed, award-winning films as well as including the release of The Criterion Channel, an independent section within FilmStruck produced and programmed by the experts at Criterion Collection. You can also expect hundreds of more movies, features, and additional platform availability throughout FilmStruck as well.

And good news for me and other beta testers.

quote:

Can I keep my registration after the FilmStruck launch?

Yes. Also, you’ll be granted an extended free period for the public launch of FilmStruck as a thank you from TCM for your help during the beta program.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I didn't get the beta invite. :cry:

This is going to be awesome. Turner Classic Movies and Criterion is a match made in heaven. The fact they got other great studios on board like Kino, Milestone, and Flicker Alley is even better.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wonder if this will be available with a meaningful library outside of the US within this decade. :smith:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like it's going to launch in October.

Plus for beta people, a ton of new stuff has gone up.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 17, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any word yet if it's coming to PS4/Xbox One?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any word yet if it's coming to PS4/Xbox One?

It's coming to PS4, but the jury is still out on Xbox One as FilmStruck engineers grapple with the RAM problem.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh neat. I'll probably subscribe if it's cheap enough

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Will it be available on Apple TV?

The one reason I didn't subscribe to the Warner Archive service was that it only worked with AirPlay from a device rather than direct, which is stupid.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Will it be available on Apple TV?

The one reason I didn't subscribe to the Warner Archive service was that it only worked with AirPlay from a device rather than direct, which is stupid.

Yeah, that was one of the beta platforms. So it should be available at launch.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Details.

http://www.turner.com/pressroom/filmstruck-plan-offers

$6.99 a month gets you basic access.
$10.99 a month gets you basic access + The Criterion Channel.
$99 gets you basic access + The Criterion Channel for a year.

That's a great price point.

Plus I heard a solid rumor that it's going to launch October 19th.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Wow, that's a great deal

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's no indication that its going to available through the PS4, which blows. Its on Amazon Fire TV, so maybe that means it'll eventually be available as a Prime add-on? This is what I was worried about, my whole setup is run through my PS4 and I don't feel like overhauling it just for one streaming service.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Depending on the actual titles they have I may end up dropping Fandor for this. Maybe Hulu as well (although their TV lineup is decent enough). Not sure how I feel about the whole "rotating" library though-gonna suck to have things constantly popping up and going away.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I dropped Hulu last month since I wasn't watching much anyways, but $10.99 is an absolute steal.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I might drop Marvel Unlimited for this, that's a great deal. But it's contingent on a PS4 app.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I might drop Marvel Unlimited for this, that's a great deal. But it's contingent on a PS4 app.

Is there any reason why they can't be more forthcoming about their plans for availability on certain platforms? They can't just say "We're working on a PS4 app right now and we hope to have everything worked out soon?", or "We have no immediate plans for the services to be available on PS4"?

If they say its probably happening and then it doesn't, would that really be the end of the world? I'd be disappointed but I'd still appreciate being kept in the loop.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Criterion confirms October 19th according to an email I just got.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They're also going to have The Silence of the Lambs up for two weeks with the laserdisc/DVD commentary (the MGM discs have a different track).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
:canada:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I wonder what the HD service is going to be like - is there a possibility of 4k streaming, like Netflix does, or is that something that gets tied up in streaming rights with the studios?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wonder what the HD service is going to be like - is there a possibility of 4k streaming, like Netflix does, or is that something that gets tied up in streaming rights with the studios?

I'd rather see higher bitrate 1080p than low bitrate 4K. Especially since a lot of the 4K masters like A Hard Day's Night and Blood Simple will look mushy without a bitrate to support the resolution.

Although, I've been impressed with the quality on Hulu compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Beta testers get the rest of 2016 free. Including the Criterion Channel! :toot:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd rather see higher bitrate 1080p than low bitrate 4K. Especially since a lot of the 4K masters like A Hard Day's Night and Blood Simple will look mushy without a bitrate to support the resolution.

Although, I've been impressed with the quality on Hulu compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Oh, that's true. And yeah, the HD Criterions look very good on Hulu. I watched Week-End the other day on my dad's ridiculous giant 1080 tv and it was like seeing it in a cinema.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQBDVBZlzQ

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Beta testers get the rest of 2016 free. Including the Criterion Channel! :toot:

did you get something in your email about this? was part of the beta but didn't see anything about this unless it was in one of the articles

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

yea ok posted:

did you get something in your email about this? was part of the beta but didn't see anything about this unless it was in one of the articles

Yeah, they emailed me. Said they'd mail me instructions before the 19th. So I guess it's a promo code or something.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

"At the time of launch, FilmStruck will be available on Desktop, Android Handsets and Tablets, iPhones and iPad and Amazon Fire TV. Coming Soon: Apple TV 4th Generation, Chromecast and Roku."

Hopefully chromecast comes soon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weak. I understand that they have the highest install base with Desktop/Android/ios, but there should have been more focus on devices people traditionally have hooked into their home theatres.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I wonder how many people who are paying for a dedicated TCM/Criterion streaming service are really going to want to use their SmartPhone

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It’s such a sadness that you think you’ve seen a film on your loving telephone. Get real.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube on my phone, but stuff like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime have been strictly on my TV other than occasionally on my iPad.

The only movie I watched from start to finish on a mobile device was Mean Streets on my old iPod classic in glorious 240p resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

It's a bummer that they aren't launching on AppleTV but airplaying it should be easy enough.

• Locked thread