Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To my understanding, a mobile app is necessary for Chromecast to work. A decent number of people also hook their phones up to bigger displays nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Added this part I read on /r/Criterion to the OP.

quote:

"The base tier of FilmStruck will include several hundred titles at a given time, all organized by themes, and updated each week. Roughly 200+ of these titles in the base tier will come from the The Criterion Collection library, and those 200+ titles will rotate out of the tier based on themes. The remaining hundreds of titles will come from other film distributors; think Film Movement, Kino Lorber & more. Additionally, the base tier will offer special features, hosted intros & original docs. So think of the FilmStruck base tier as fluid & evolving. The Criterion Channel addition to the base service is a permanent library of more than 1,000+ Criterion-only titles. The library there will include both in-print & select out-of-print titles & a host of special features, including commentary tracks & mini-documentaries."

quote:

At launch, FilmStruck will be available to watch on TV via the Amazon Fire TV streaming player as well as on the web and iOS & Android Devices (like iPads and other tablets). Turner said that the service will be added to the fourth generation Apple TV in November, with devices like Chromecast and Roku to be added “in the coming months.”

https://twitter.com/FilmStruck/status/784214951262990337

And the basic tier of FilmStruck will be programmed by Charles Tabesh of TCM while Criterion will handle the programming of the Criterion Channel.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 10, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Um, what the gently caress?

quote:

Hello film fans:

We want to share some news that the launch of FilmStruck is delayed until November as we work to complete a seamless and easy registration process for subscribers.

Just like the final stages of completing a film, this additional time will allow us to put the finishing touches on FilmStruck in order to bring you a premium service with beautifully curated content and the largest streaming library of world-renowned arthouse, indie, cult and foreign films. Rest assured, we're working hard to bring you the high-quality streaming movie service you've been waiting for.

Thank you for both your patience and your enthusiastic interest in FilmStruck.

The FilmStruck Team

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Not entirely surprising. Launches for these things are always glitchy so they may have found something that would have made it a total shitshow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If its going to be available for Amazon Fire TV, does that mean there's a good chance there will also be an Amazon Prime add-on option? That's looking like my only shot at being able to get this service.

On the other hand, I'm moving to a new apartment in a few months so maybe I'll just take the opportunity to overhaul my streaming options. Maybe get rid of Hulu and Netflix and get Amazon Fire.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not entirely surprising. Launches for these things are always glitchy so they may have found something that would have made it a total shitshow.

They were linking to https://flms.tk/SignUp on all their social media but the link doesn't work. Still surprising that something like that could cause a decent delay when they already shelled out big bucks for a fancy launch party and advertising.

Basebf555 posted:

If its going to be available for Amazon Fire TV, does that mean there's a good chance there will also be an Amazon Prime add-on option? That's looking like my only shot at being able to get this service.

It's only an app so I'd guess no at being an Amazon Prime add-on option.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Could also be that signups are higher than originally anticipated and they needed to re-evaluate the streaming infrastructure. I don't think they've said who their backend provider is, have they?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is pretty cool. Shortly after the delay, I saw they were giving out shirts on Twitter. I sent a DM with my address but never got a response. I get home today and find a package from FedEx on my porch with a handwritten note. 'Hope you like the shirt, Charlie!'

(sorry for the hosed up perspective, i was trying to take it with my tablet front camera)

Very nice of them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
(from the Criterion thread)

Rusty Staub posted:

Filmstruck is back up and looking pretty drat smooth

It's live. No details about goodies for beta testers. Beta testers can just log in and it will work. No details on how long we get it free.

You can browse the library at https://watch.filmstruck.com/#!/browse-all/

________

The Fire TV app with screenshots of what I was trying to describe on the last page during the beta https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO7YBSC

They changed the UI for the better (it's much easier to read now) and it seems much snappier. I'll post some screenshots I took for comparison when I get back on my laptop.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 1, 2016

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
What do you think the odds are that it eventually is available in Canada?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Probably nil like most good internet things :canada:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was just about to sign up, but then I saw it requires a 4th gen Apple TV. :argh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Console support sounds like it'll be current gen only. Well guess it'll have to be Roku.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So after perusing the site, I'm pretty sure I'll be signing up. But I'm gonna wait until there's Chromecast support. Has there been any mention about when we can expect it?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know why there would be films from Criterion available on Hulu but not on FilmStruck (Sans Soleil, for instance)?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Edible Hat posted:

Does anyone know why there would be films from Criterion available on Hulu but not on FilmStruck (Sans Soleil, for instance)?

Criterion's deal with Hulu lasts another week or so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was thinking about buying a Kindle Fire TV until the PS4 app is out, but then I remembered that a friend has an old laptop he'll let me borrow for a while. I figure I can watch silent shorts on my tablet until then.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Is it just me, or does the options bar not disappear when you're fullscreening on a computer?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, this is really disappointing. I borrowed my friend's laptop, hooked it up to my tv, and can't get any sound through my tv. Nothing shows up on the Sound Devices. Looked it up and can't find any real solutions. I don't want to spend $40 for a Kindle Fire TV.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Akarshi posted:

Is it just me, or does the options bar not disappear when you're fullscreening on a computer?

This is driving me batty, it seems turning the closed captioning on prevents the status bar from disappearing.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

hope and vaseline posted:

This is driving me batty, it seems turning the closed captioning on prevents the status bar from disappearing.

I had this issue during the beta, but it would only happen if the mouse pointer remained on the
monitor that was streaming. CC or not.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Discount Viscount posted:

Criterion's deal with Hulu lasts another week or so.

Not that anyone cares, but Sans Soleil was just added. It looks like more of Criterion's library on Hulu will be trickling in, along with a lot of other gems that aren't in the Collection yet ("Come and See", for example).

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Is anyone else having buffering issues? I can't seem to go 5 minutes without a film stopping, and I've checked at different times of the day. I haven't had this issue with streaming video before, so I imagine it's just launch related.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm curious how this works in-browser, Prime videos are always kind of choppy for me but Netflix is perfect

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm amazed with the streaming quality - are they doing something different that Hulu wasn't?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is it possible to give a year of Filmstruck subscription as a gift without asking someone for their account credentials, buying a year, then cancelling the sub?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is it possible to give a year of Filmstruck subscription as a gift without asking someone for their account credentials, buying a year, then cancelling the sub?

Hell man, PayPal me the cash and I'll try to figure this one out for you.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hell man, PayPal me the cash and I'll try to figure this one out for you.

Much appreciated, but I'd still run into the issue of having to ask them what credentials they wanted etc. I guess I could just make some up and give it to em but it'd be nice if it was something I could do more neatly than that. Presentation counts with gifts, yknow?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
FYI Filmstruck is available on Apple TV 4 now and it's awesome

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
And if you have earlier Apple TVs you can airplay it from the app on your iphone, which works surprisingly well.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
What is the best way to get this service on my big living room TV? I don't have a Chromecast, Fire TV Stick, Roku, Apple TV, or anything like that. Which one is the best, purely from a Filmstruck standpoint?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I'm having a weird problem with the Filmstruck app. Doubt anyone could help. I've been using the app on my android tablet since launch without issue. Today, it won't load my watchlist, populate results in Browse or Search. I can still watch movies through the premade lists they got though.

I tried the usual things. Restarting the app, the tablet, logging in and out, uninstalling it and reinstalling.

It works perfectly on my phone and my laptop. But my tablet is the primary means of watching. It fixed itself momentarily, but then a few hours later it broke again. Any ideas?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They added the ability to gift a year of Filmstruck.

https://www.filmstruck.com/give?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=FS_list&utm_medium=email

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It'd be neat to have, like, a "favorites" or "collection" page, so I could keep movies around handily without cluttering up my watchlist.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Is this available via Chromecast? Last I read, it was still 'coming soon'.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I dunno why this thread got closed but I've seen like 5 people mention it did so I opened it again.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Been waiting to ask you guys: does anyone else find the browser/website version to be completely awful? I'm not usually aware of stuff like this enough to complain about usability or web design or whatever, but the filmstruck website is truly a hassle to use.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Silver Brushes posted:

Been waiting to ask you guys: does anyone else find the browser/website version to be completely awful? I'm not usually aware of stuff like this enough to complain about usability or web design or whatever, but the filmstruck website is truly a hassle to use.

Yeah, the website isn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Silver Brushes posted:

Why I haven't subscribed. I only watched two movies during the whole beta because I hated it and they don't have a PS4 app.

• Locked thread