Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As with most Dan Simmonds books, you could cut The Terror down by 50% without losing anything from the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Geokinesis posted:

Definitely this, they are such cosy reading.

M.R. James was a brilliant academic and Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University (and later, Headmaster of Eton College). His ghost stories were a hobby; he only allowed himself to write one per year (he was a very busy man) and, each story being gradually crafted and refined over many months, the result was always an almost perfectly polished masterpiece, with barely an unnecessary word included.

The one where the bed sheets take on a life of their own and form themselves into a menacing, human-shaped figure still gives me the creeps today.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ornamented Death posted:

Joe Hill didn't rely on his dad to sell books. In fact he specifically chose to not let people know he was King's son for a long time.

I've read Horns and I'm trying to read The Fireman; Joe Hill's style is just so close to that of his dad's that it puts me off. If King had published these under his own name, I doubt I'd have questioned it except to notice that they seemed faintly clumsy and inexperienced compared to his normal stuff.

I do like the apparent shout-out to The Stand though, in the person of an awkward and rather creepy young know-it-all named Harold...

On the actual thread topic, Adam Neville's No-one Gets Out Alive is the scariest thing I've read recently. The book is suffused with such a sense of helpless dread that, after the first few chapters, I had to check the ending to make sure I could stomach the rest of the book.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Roydrowsy posted:

I also just finished Richard Laymon's "The Traveling Vampire Show" which was a nice surprise. I read "The Cellar" and it made me feel dirty, (a woman and her young daughter go on the run from her rapist/child predator husband and end up in a house with a rape monster... ugh) so I was reluctant to give Laymon a second chance. He did a really good job slowly building the tension and letting it go, and then ending with a fit of pure insanity.

Richard Laymon is great: EVERYONE in his stories is always completely loving crazy. I love how his protagonists invariably take the dumbest and most inexplicable route possible in any situation. I read one of his books where a young woman living in an isolated house is menaced by a sinister sexual predator, who she shoots dead. This being Laymon, naturally she concludes that, rather than call the police at this point, a far better solution is to cut up the body with an axe and try to dispose of it herself. From there things just escalate like the nursery rhyme about the old lady who swallowed a fly ...

Roydrowsy posted:

I can't bring myself to read The Girl Next Door

I did, and regretted it. That wasn't a fun read.

quote:

"I mean that sometimes what you see is pain. Pain in its cruelest, purest form. Without drugs or sleep or even shock or coma to dull it for you. You see it and you take it in. And then it's you. You're host to a long white worm that gnaws and eats, growing, filling your intestines until finally you cough one morning and up comes the blind pale head of the thing sliding from your mouth like a second tongue."

I mean, that paragraph in chapter 1 should probably have clued me in to what the rest of the book would be like. Oh well, you live and learn.

• Locked thread