Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JackBobby posted:

I'm reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. It seems pretty solid so far, but it's funny how much it recalls his old man's work. Specifically the aging rock star protagonist and the use of several repeating mantras/phrases. Still, it's starting stronger than anything King has written in awhile. I was hoping for something legitimately scary but it seems like it might be something I enjoy more for its decent character work- which is how I feel about a lot of King. Anybody in here read it?

I have in fact read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill and really enjoyed it. I saw the movie of Horns and thought it was loving stupid and boring.

If you enjoy HSB, then you really ought to read Sean Stewart's Perfect Circle. it's also horror, but not really, and I think Stewart is a fantastic author.

The scariest poo poo that I've read was waaaay back in the day (that wasn't Stephen King's IT) was Dean Koontz' Watchers.

I'd probably think it was pure schlocky poo poo these days, but I was eleven and it hosed me up good. Cujo didn't bother me, Pet Semetary was chill, but I don't know.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JackBobby posted:

Oh man, I loving loved Watchers back in the day too. I remember the end when the monster finds the dog's Mickey Mouse toy or something along those lines made me really sad. Something like they were both from the same experiment but the dog was treated well while the monster was neglected and the only thing they had in common was Mickey Mouse. I also remember a weird hitman who had a boner for killing pregnant women and someone threw up an oatmeal cookie at some point?

Haha, dude, that hitman guy getting a *zzzap* of energy for every person he killed and then discovered that he got extra zaps if he killed babies was so crazy to my mind. A

nd yeah, maybe young me felt there were parallels between the Watcher and the other perfect golden retriever being from the same science lab and my own relationship at the time with my older brother...or something. I don't know. What I do remember was thinking how awesome it would be to be besties with a super smart dog, and how scary that supersmart, lonely rage-monkey was. God. I haven't thought about that book in years.

The bad monster was actually pretty sympathetic, that I recall, at least near the end of the book.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 21, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been thinking you guys have been referring to the Greece political party, rather than the weird lovely hermetic freemason knockoffs.

I was confused for a few posts.

• Locked thread