Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Horror is my wheelhouse, as I'm always in search of something that can bother me. Most of the time, I'm unsuccessful, but House of Leaves is a standout from the past few years.

I'm reading through all of Laird Barron's work, as he's entertaining, if not terrifying.

Stephen King is the master of course, and I'd recommend The Shining, IT, and Pet Semetery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Horns depressed the hell out of me with the rape and murder of someone so obviously in love. The power he gains to know the sins, be able to suggest people act on them and slide out of people's awareness, were fascinating and something I'd probably go mad with power with.

It was not a horror novel though. Mystery with science fantasy.

Heart Shaped Box and N0S4A2 were pretty solid, though not exactly frightening. I agree that his character work is definitely his strong suit, and the Zack Wilde/Rob Zombie lead of HSB was perfect.

The Fireman broke my heart. I thought I knew where it would go the whole way through. I didn't.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

Thanks! I have read Whom the Gods Would Destroy; it was very good. Looking forward to checking out the others.

I think my recommendations, though I only have two, would be:

Slade House by David Mitchell
The Deep by Nick Cutter

Sweet Jesus, The Deep was a very rough book to read. Warning: If you've been a victim of child abuse, it's going to bother you.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah, it was rough. But, then again, I like reading Ligotti, so I guess I like to read horror that makes me feel horrible. Existential dread is just about the only thing that scares me. I have issues.

That being said, I don't recommend reading The Deep if you were a victim of child abuse, have a psychopathic sibling, or ever lost a child.

Gotta love Ligotti's utter despair inducing logic.

And yeah, reading it gave me awful flashbacks and the sweats. Fun stuff.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm listening to the audiobook of The Narrows. It's a small town horror that takes place in the mountains of Western MD outside of Cumberland. It hits a few themes I enjoy; Small town drama, steadily ramping peril, competent women and kids, tired and overwhelmed local police force, and the concept of "Wierd poo poo from the wilderness."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone know of any cult related horror novels that were good? I'm looking to do some fictional research, as it's a subject that scares the hell out of me from the non-fiction I've read.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Are you looking for something like a fictional account of a group like the Golden Dawn? Or just anything involving cults? Because for the latter, a pretty big chunk of cosmic horror involves cults trying to summon one unspeakable evil or another.

Fictional Golden Dawn, Manson Family, etc.

Reading about the actual events at Jonestown bothered the hell out of me, and baffles me that it's reduced to "Drank the kool-aid," rather than "literally held down the screaming children to painfully poison them to death and shooting anybody who runs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I'm assuming you've read Helter Skelter?

I haven't actually. Is it one you recommend?

• Locked thread