Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Ddraig posted:

The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti.

He's pretty famed for his fiction but this is probably the scariest thing he's ever written as it's a rather compelling non fiction book that argues, rather persuasively, that consciousness is an insurmountable horror for humanity and it would have been better had we never experienced it.

The central premise is that Life is Not OK and having read it, it's sort of hard to disagree if you're of a certain mindset.

Probably not the thing to read if you've ever harboured suicidal thoughts.

This.

Also, recently finished A Head Full of Ghosts and it totally triggered old fears of losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

precision posted:

It might be too obvious to recommend The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea, though I actually prefer Wilson's later Historical Illuminatus Chronicles. The Widow's Son is by FAR the single novel I have read the most number of times, I believe I've read it nearly a dozen by now.

I just got done with pretty much his entire non-fiction catalog that's still in print. Now it looks like next up is the Historical Illuminatus Chronicles.

Have you by any chance read the Shrodinger's Cat trilogy?

w/r/t fictional cult stories I've gotta go with Laird Barron's The Croning followed by any of his short stories that revolve around his Children of the Old Leech cult.

• Locked thread