Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Oh man a thread just for me :v:

Some of the scariest books I have read:

The House of Leaves.

Hmmmm.... how to describe this. I really do not want to give too much away because it really needs to be experienced. Note I said experienced and not read. :ghost: It's sort of like a cross between The Blair Witch Project and the Lament Configuration (the gold puzzle box from Hellraiser) - the book goes from being a document about a haunted house to actually becoming a doorway into entering the fragmented experience of the haunting. :devil:

The Road

I really love The Road. Now its not a scary ghost story but stay with me. Its just so brutal. Most people might choose Blood Meridian instead but most of it just went over my head anyways and I really did not appreciate how it portrayed native americans as blood thirsty savages. When I start thinking about its meaning and the reason Cormac McCarthy wrote it, I get chills because you realize the world of the book is not that different than our world if you are a parent. I forget who said this but the quote I often associate with the book is "What gives anyone the right to rip a soul from nothing - to bring it into this flesh?" (I might have messed up the quote sorry) but as a father of a child this book really opened me up to how a parent's choice for their children truly affects how they see the world and what you must do to be a parent. It makes me question if I can be a parent at all ethically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread