Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
I read a lot but mostly nonfiction.

I like to blame my interest in nonfiction on the fact that I have a need offset all the horror movies I watch with something useful.

My usual haunts in any bookstore are the business best sellers, self-help, history, or the business section of the magazine rack.

When I read fiction, it's usually because of a movie I have watched.

Some examples being The Exorcist novel by William Peter Blatty, the short story "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr. that served as the basis for The Thing From Another World and its remake The Thing, and John Dies at the End by David Wong which everyone considers to be better than the film.

After I watched The Conjuring when it was released in 2013, I got interested in the paranormal investigation career of Ed and Lorraine Warren whose case files have provided material for many books and a growing number of feature films.

The first book I picked up about the Warrens was The Demonologist by Gerard Brittle, which attempts to cover the couple's most famous cases as well as providing the true nature of their job.

I read through the book very quickly and enjoyed it much more than Blatty's Exorcist and a similar book about real life exorcism, Hostage to the Devil by Fr. Malachi Martin.

It's also easily the scariest book I have ever read.

What are your pick(s) for the scariest book or books that you have read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Khizan posted:

Pet Sematary, Stephen King

Never read it, gonna have to give it a try.

Someone once recommended Song of Kali by Dan Simmons as their scariest book.

I disagree because it is nothing special.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

Toxic Sludge is Good for You by Tom Tomorrow

I pulled this up:

Is this the right book?

I read a whole lot of Advertising/PR stuff too.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

Yes it is seriously terrifying. Because it is REAL.

I forgot it is no authored by Tom Tomorrow - it just has a bunch of his illustrations.

I read this one a while back and liked it:

Looks similar.

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

On a more serious note I highly recommend anything by Richard Matheson. Also, The Beast Within by Edward Levy.

I read Matheson I Am Legend a while back and thought it was only okay, but I want to read Hell House too.

I added Beast Within to the top of my reading list, thanks.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Even though these were written as children's books, I still think that the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark trilogy is creepy as gently caress even after returning to it as an adult:

Alvin Schwartz's writing, while excellent, is completely eclipsed by the black and white illustrations done by Stephen Gammell.

This is some of the most horrifying artwork I've ever come across, period.

It's a shame that new editions of the books swapped out Gammell's original illustrations with the substandard artwork of Brett Helquist.

The new drawings don't hold up by comparison:

Right now, I'm working on the Ed & Lorraine Warren Book Series which has six novels so far:

As of this date, I've only read Ghost Hunters: True Stories from the World's Most Famous Demonologists, which is a mixed bag.

Has anyone else read any of the above?

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 27, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
I see Penpal by Dathan Auerbach show up a lot on my Amazon page.

Has anyone read it?

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

The original Amityville Horror is a terrifying book.

I didn't like the original movie but I imagine the book is way better.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Earwicker posted:

non-fiction: In the Garden of Beasts by Eric Larsen

fiction: hard to say maybe something like The Man Who Watched Trains Go By by Georges Simenon

I've never really found fiction that scared me as much as some non-fiction can, especially anything involving ghosts or demons and poo poo that stuff just comes across as silly - the behavior of actual human beings is much more frightening.

Although Cujo did scare me pretty good when I was a kid because at that time I was already kind of frightened both of large dogs and of getting rabies, and there are some hosed up scenes in that book

Right on.

I'm a big fan of Nazi-era nonfiction myself, specifically those that focus on the Holocaust.

Night by Elie Wiesel and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl are two of my favorite books ever written.

I'm always searching for more good books about life inside the concentration camps.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Oh poo poo!

"The only thing with more brass is my balls..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJm-E38G3-0

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 29, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

jagstag posted:

Oh man a thread just for me :v:

Some of the scariest books I have read:

The House of Leaves.

Hmmmm.... how to describe this. I really do not want to give too much away because it really needs to be experienced. Note I said experienced and not read. :ghost: It's sort of like a cross between The Blair Witch Project and the Lament Configuration (the gold puzzle box from Hellraiser) - the book goes from being a document about a haunted house to actually becoming a doorway into entering the fragmented experience of the haunting. :devil:

The Road

I really love The Road. Now its not a scary ghost story but stay with me. Its just so brutal. Most people might choose Blood Meridian instead but most of it just went over my head anyways and I really did not appreciate how it portrayed native americans as blood thirsty savages. When I start thinking about its meaning and the reason Cormac McCarthy wrote it, I get chills because you realize the world of the book is not that different than our world if you are a parent. I forget who said this but the quote I often associate with the book is "What gives anyone the right to rip a soul from nothing - to bring it into this flesh?" (I might have messed up the quote sorry) but as a father of a child this book really opened me up to how a parent's choice for their children truly affects how they see the world and what you must do to be a parent. It makes me question if I can be a parent at all ethically.

Thanks for recommending The House of Leaves.

I added it to my "To Read" pile.

The first Cormac McCarthy book I tried to read was The Road.

This was some time after I watched the sub-par movie (so I'm told).

For whatever reason, I couldn't easily get into McCarthy's writing style.

I need to give it a chance though because I know it will be a great read when I do.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

It's pretty loving scary. But it's also pretty loving not-well-written.

Definitely give it a go if you want to be creeped the gently caress out though. I still go cold thinking about the endings to some of the chapters.

I have a pet peeve of mine when it comes to reading fiction: the adverb.

For instance, instead of "I was happy when I opened the door," poo poo authors write "I opened the door happily."

Stephen King covers this in his non-fiction memoir On Writing, that is both writer's guide as well as his own experiences as a writer.

The best example I can think of that is just riddled with adverbs in every other sentence is Blatty's The Exorcist.

This is one of the rare scenarios where the movie is actually better than the book.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Juanito posted:

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons was great. One of my favorite books. Really scary stuff. It won a lot of awards.

Song of Kali, also by Dan Simmons was creepy.. maybe a little slow, but I remember reaching an OH poo poo point that absolutely freaked me out. Not everybody agrees on this. :)

Is Carrion Comfort better than Song of Kali?

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ornamented Death posted:

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

I read this in third or fourth grade and it hosed me up.

It's not scary to me now, and I've certainly read horror books that are better by all appreciable measures in the intervening years, but that is the only book that ever made me lose sleep.

Hey, I totally agree.

The illustrations by Stephen Gammell is what made the books so scary.

Guillermo del Toro is slated to bring Scary Stories to the big screen.

If he can keep it true to its roots, especially the illustrations, it will be one hell of a creepy flick.

ARTICLE: Guillermo del Toro's 'Scary Stories' Moves Forward With 'Lego Movie' Writers Dan and Kevin Hageman

MeatwadIsGod posted:

These may not hold up for everyone, but Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows" and "The Wendigo." Fear isn't really the right word - more like a sense of dread and isolation that continues to grope your brain even after you're done reading. Definitely something that's never been replicated for me, and I read a ton of horror short stories and weird fiction.

Ironically, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark has a story called "The Wendigo" too.

I like the folk tale it's based on and and will sure give the book you recommended a shot.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 10, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't wait for Del Toro's movie to be not made like every other project his name is attached to. Maybe he should use a nom-de-plume.

I would have preferred him for The Hobbit films, that's for sure.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Talmonis posted:

Horror is my wheelhouse, as I'm always in search of something that can bother me. Most of the time, I'm unsuccessful, but House of Leaves is a standout from the past few years.

I'm reading through all of Laird Barron's work, as he's entertaining, if not terrifying.

Stephen King is the master of course, and I'd recommend The Shining, IT, and Pet Semetery.

My favorite book by Stephen King, ironically, is On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

Half memoir, half how-to guide, and 100% nonfiction.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Neurosis posted:

i don't even think that much of stephen king's writing and i still thought this was good. i love writers writing about writing. all kinds of writing. i'm a lawyer, and i really started to think about it after starting to work in a government agency where most of my time i spend poring over applications written into us by law/big accounting firm partners on well over $1m/year. most of them write atrociously. the accountants tend to be worse. one application i read had 22 initialisms and acronyms in the first 12 pages, and every time you came back to it you'd have to reread the first few pages to refresh yourself.

but i digress. as i say, sometimes writers i don't think that good have good insights on writing. charles stross writing about the similarities he saw between cosmic horror and cold war fear of nuclear oblivion was cool. dan simmons writing about what he found horrifying in the foreword to carrion comfort was also cool, and i find him terribly variable. how to write is cool and interesting and learning it will probably help you in all but the most menial of jobs.

I'm not much of a fan of Stephen King's fiction either, but that's probably because I have seen almost all of his movie adaptations countless times.

H.P. Lovecraft wrote an excellent essay called Supernatural Horror in Literature that I prefer to At the Mountains of Madness, which is all I have read from HPL so far.

Here it is online: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/shil.aspx

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 20, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Just finished Pet Sematary and it was not so much creepy because I have already seen the movie, but very well written and entertaining.

It's much better than the movie, especially the end, which included a lot of great stuff that was cut from the film.

Next up, I will read The Shining, which I read is different from the movie adaptation too.

I never liked the Stanley Kubrick directed picture even though I'm a huge fan of Jack Nicholson.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Oh precious katana posted:

I also read Song of Kali on a recommendation from a similar thread. I didn't like it much, it just made me somewhat depressed rather than scared (having a small baby myself at the time).

It has a really good premise, which involves the dark secrets of Calcutta being revealed to an intellectual traveler, but Simmons' overall story fell flat.

At best, Song of Kali could have been like the film The Serpent and the Rainbow, which is very effective at portraying the horrors of Haiti to a visiting American scientist who is on a quest to find a zombie drug.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Juaguocio posted:

The Shining is one of the very few cases where I think the film is better than the book. Kubrick made the right decision to remove a lot of the really obvious supernatural stuff and focus on the characters' relationships.

Anyway, the scariest book I ever read is Bruce Coville's Book Of Nightmares: Tales To Make You Scream:

Specifically, the story "The Fat Man" by Joe R. Lansdale literally gave 8-year-old me nightmares, so mission accomplished, Mr. Coville!

I remember Bruce Coville.

One of my favorite authors as a kid was Daniel Cohen.

He wrote some great supernatural nonfiction for young audiences.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

JackBobby posted:

I'm reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. It seems pretty solid so far, but it's funny how much it recalls his old man's work. Specifically the aging rock star protagonist and the use of several repeating mantras/phrases. Still, it's starting stronger than anything King has written in awhile. I was hoping for something legitimately scary but it seems like it might be something I enjoy more for its decent character work- which is how I feel about a lot of King. Anybody in here read it?

I have not read Heart Shaped Box yet, but if Horns is any indication of the rest of Joe Hill's work, I will never read it.

Horns was really, REALLY, boring.

Joe Hill has been tremendously helped by his pops in terms of "how to market your books."

The mystery of how to make your book a NYT bestseller has been solved for Joe Hill, right out of the gate.

poo poo, he even looks like a carbon copy of his old man:

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ornamented Death posted:

Joe Hill didn't rely on his dad to sell books. In fact he specifically chose to not let people know he was King's son for a long time.

He didn't have to rely on his Dad to sell books, he was already given a golden ticket by being born as both a King and a fiction horror writer.

The pseudonym "Joe Hill" was a bold move, but again, Stephen King helped out his whole family with the business end of writing, including his wife Tabitha, who can't write for poo poo.

Everything that's packed into Stephen King's "On Writing" has been transferred to all of his children due to the author's extreme success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Drifter posted:

I saw the movie of Horns and thought it was loving stupid and boring.

I had really high hopes for that movie, which is why I picked up the book after watching it.

Excellent concept.

If I woke up with demonic horns after a night of getting trashed and everybody acted like it was no big deal, I would get freaked out.

I watched the preview and believed Daniel Radcliffe was perfect for this type of role, but Horns didn't deliver.

It was a major disappointment and so was the book.

• Locked thread