Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

non-fiction: In the Garden of Beasts by Eric Larsen

fiction: hard to say maybe something like The Man Who Watched Trains Go By by Georges Simenon

I've never really found fiction that scared me as much as some non-fiction can, especially anything involving ghosts or demons and poo poo that stuff just comes across as silly - the behavior of actual human beings is much more frightening.

Although Cujo did scare me pretty good when I was a kid because at that time I was already kind of frightened both of large dogs and of getting rabies, and there are some hosed up scenes in that book

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

i don't understand this point of view because even something as close to hackdom as stephen king still uses its supernatural elements as a means to express human psychology symbolically

maybe so but I find human behavior more frightening when it is presented as it occurs in reality, rather than when it is presented symbolically with ghosts and werewolves.

also it's not so much of a deliberate "point of view" as you seem to think. fear is an emotion. I've read history books that made me feel fear. I've read articles about actual crimes that made me feel fear, or articles about diseases or sometimes natural disasters. but I've never read a book/story about supernatural horror stuff that made me feel that way.

maybe I just haven't read the right ones. I dont really seek that stuff out. but I did read a whole bunch of Stephen King books when I was a kid, and the one that scared me much more than the others was the one about a rabid dog; when I was a kid the idea of a big dog with rabies running around a neighborhood was a lot more frightening than anything supenatural, because it seemed like it could actually happen (and I was already afraid of big dogs). whereas (for example) the idea of a bunch of animals rising from their graves or a car coming to life, not so much.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 31, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I enjoyed the Illuminatus! trilogy and some of Wilson's other books but they aren't horror at all and there's nothing remotely scary in them? I mean yeah he refers to cults sometimes but it's always in the form of over the top parody

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

anyway

here is a novel I recommend its a quick read and powerful Colline (also called Hill or Hill of Destiny) by Jean Giorno

• Locked thread