Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
narrowing it down to one is hard. It also depends a lot on my mood at the time. But the stuff that jumps out from memory is the various stories Laird Barron has written in the Children of Old Leech world. Barron has flaws as a writer but his mix of noir and horror works really well here. A lot of his stories also play with the animal parts of our brain - a lot is written in this kind of dreamscape primitive man, before the advent of language, might have resided in in terms of their subjective existence. I don't really care for it, since it makes the narrative incoherent. In the Leech stories it's there but used much better, and is usually tied to actual events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ObamaPhone posted:

My favorite book by Stephen King, ironically, is On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

Half memoir, half how-to guide, and 100% nonfiction.

i don't even think that much of stephen king's writing and i still thought this was good. i love writers writing about writing. all kinds of writing. i'm a lawyer, and i really started to think about it after starting to work in a government agency where most of my time i spend poring over applications written into us by law/big accounting firm partners on well over $1m/year. most of them write atrociously. the accountants tend to be worse. one application i read had 22 initialisms and acronyms in the first 12 pages, and every time you came back to it you'd have to reread the first few pages to refresh yourself.

but i digress. as i say, sometimes writers i don't think that good have good insights on writing. charles stross writing about the similarities he saw between cosmic horror and cold war fear of nuclear oblivion was cool. dan simmons writing about what he found horrifying in the foreword to carrion comfort was also cool, and i find him terribly variable. how to write is cool and interesting and learning it will probably help you in all but the most menial of jobs.

• Locked thread