Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fiction. Blindsight, Peter Watts

Terrifying on an existential level. It's sort of a more hard sci fi version of Rendezvous With Rama, with a precise focus on the mechanics of consciousness itself and the amount of garbage in our brains we assume we have control over. It takes a rather dim view of the utility of the self. This book hosed me up for months, possibly permanently.

Watts is very impressed with some of his own creations and it drags the book down a bit -- I'm not a huge fan of the vampires but they at least serve a good purpose in the story. Just finished the sequel a week ago and I didn't think it was nearly as good, but I recommend Blindsight to people just because the territory it covers is so interesting and relatively unexplored.

Oh, and here's the whole thing on the author's website. Creative commons licence.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread