Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

I read this in third or fourth grade and it hosed me up.

It's not scary to me now, and I've certainly read horror books that are better by all appreciable measures in the intervening years, but that is the only book that ever made me lose sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Joe Hill didn't rely on his dad to sell books. In fact he specifically chose to not let people know he was King's son for a long time.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Noam Chomsky posted:

What would you say are the top five horror novels published within the last five years?

I like to make October a horror month - original, I know - and I'm looking to mow down some good horror novels.

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
Whom the Gods Would Destroy by Brian Hodge (technically a novella, but just an outstanding story)
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud (collection)
Lights Out by Nate Southard
The Complex by Brian Keene

These would be my top five with wide appeal - there have been other books I've enjoyed equally, but I think most everyone can find something to like in these.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Talmonis posted:

Anyone know of any cult related horror novels that were good? I'm looking to do some fictional research, as it's a subject that scares the hell out of me from the non-fiction I've read.

Are you looking for something like a fictional account of a group like the Golden Dawn? Or just anything involving cults? Because for the latter, a pretty big chunk of cosmic horror involves cults trying to summon one unspeakable evil or another.

• Locked thread