Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
George R.R. Martin's "The Pear-Shaped Man", which I read at the age of 12 or so, which was over 20 years before I knew anything about The Song of Ice and Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just remembered my real, actual answer and holy poo poo how did I ever forget this?

When I was about 8 I picked out a book from my classroom's "library" called The Plant People. It's a short novel about aliens or plants making lights in the atmosphere which, if you watch them, make you start slowly turning into a plant. And then later on they're hiding in a supermarket and the televisions start showing the lights :ohdear:

Anyway, this book terrified me so much that I literally couldn't stand to even look at it. I don't recall any other piece of media actually ever scaring me, I was afraid of normal things like "that dark corner of the basement" but that book, Jesus.

Here's the cover:

Jesus Christ :gonk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Talmonis posted:

Fictional Golden Dawn, Manson Family, etc.

It might be too obvious to recommend The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea, though I actually prefer Wilson's later Historical Illuminatus Chronicles. The Widow's Son is by FAR the single novel I have read the most number of times, I believe I've read it nearly a dozen by now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

I enjoyed the Illuminatus! trilogy and some of Wilson's other books but they aren't horror at all and there's nothing remotely scary in them? I mean yeah he refers to cults sometimes but it's always in the form of over the top parody

I mean, the concept of Literally Nazi ABBA taking over the world is kind of frightening.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I just got done with pretty much his entire non-fiction catalog that's still in print. Now it looks like next up is the Historical Illuminatus Chronicles.

Have you by any chance read the Shrodinger's Cat trilogy?

Yeah, it's great, but it's been a long time, I'm way overdue to re-read it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well at any rate I was only recommending it because cults came up, specifically old cults like the Golden Dawn, not because it's scary. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

The Golden Dawn were not a cult, as has been stated.

That's debatable. I don't believe they are one, and if they are then I'm a cult member. But somebody specifically mentioned them so I recommended something. OK I'm glad we had this derail.

• Locked thread