Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
looks like trade in value on NHL 16 is $12-14 right now except for at Amazon where it's $3.11 hah. Still on the hunt for a beta code if anyone's got an extra. :tipshat:

I liked the beer league arena and new goal songs from watching the Ted's stream last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Skizzzer posted:

icefort??

I have undergone some name changes but I'm still the same old drunk

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Does the beer league rink have one girlfriend sitting alone in the bleachers reading a book the whole time? It would be amazing if when you scored, it cut to her and she just sat there wicked bored and not paying attention.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
There's a goal horn when you score but honestly I was wishing it was just woo!'s interspersed with the other team muttering "fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." and blaming the goalie.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

V for Vegans posted:

Does the beer league rink have one girlfriend sitting alone in the bleachers reading a book the whole time? It would be amazing if when you scored, it cut to her and she just sat there wicked bored and not paying attention.

I'm used to seeing the opposite. The girlfriend goes to the game and is a crazy fan, excited by everything her boyfriend does and pissed off at any rough play against him.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Looks like both codes I sent out were somehow already pre-claimed. I don't know how that is possible but welp :/

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Zip! posted:

Looks like both codes I sent out were somehow already pre-claimed. I don't know how that is possible but welp :/

It's the thought that counts man, thanks anyways. Just wondering, are you North American or Europe? Maybe they were the wrong region and didn't work? I'm North America.

Anyone who wants to make a beta reject party tonight or who is getting back into NHL after the beta, hit me up on psn at vforvegans. I'm away next week but I'm usually down to play some eashl or otp.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
What time zone / time you gonna be on? I could be down with that after work.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I'm east coast and usually play late night, depending on when I get home from work.

Edit: Still searching for a Beta code. I'm trying all the live streams and such that I can but it seems these other players have faster thumbs than I do and snag them first.

Double Edit: Managed to snag one, downloading it now.

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 29, 2016

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This game, especially with this beta tuner, is an awful lovely abysmal game.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Pleads posted:

This game, especially with this beta tuner, is an awful lovely abysmal game.

I just spent 40 minutes making the most horrific team jerseys ever. You're telling me you can play hockey in this game too?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I said no such thing.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Why is the default view for eashl the one where it alternates which team is facing up and which is facing down? Why not default to the normal view?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

Why is the default view for eashl the one where it alternates which team is facing up and which is facing down? Why not default to the normal view?

Mine defaulted to normal view :shrug:

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
I've been meaning to give this a shot again for the first time in a few years now I'm on next gen. Xbone, if anyone has a spare. No plat so an email would be awesome! Alienjava69@ hotmail.com

Edit : got one! Thanks!!

Ashekaban fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 29, 2016

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

Mine defaulted to normal view :shrug:

It was probably something I hit in the intro question section asking you how good you are at nhl and what default settings you want on. I was too busy furiously mashing x so I didn't really read any of it.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

After reading some beta threads it seems like you can't really pivot or face the puck in defense (even though pivoting was one of their new features words), the most essential thing for defending your goal area. I have in too fresh memory my experiences with 15 and 16 where while defending you just have to stand still because moving in little steps is not an option and trying to move will lead to just completely playing your self out of position. If they fix this though I'm all in. Now I'm out though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Have they added a feature to effectively move your stick around on the defensive side of things? Holding LT in NHL 2K4 allowed you to move your stick around freely with the right stick while in the defensive zone. It made up for the difficulty of translating the minor positioning corrections seen in real hockey to a video game and was such a useful and intuitive feature that it boggles my mind that it hasn't been put in any of the EA games yet. You can sorta do it by holding the left bumper but you a) blindly pokecheck first and b) it only sorta wildly swings in the direction you want it.

Also icon passing, that was the poo poo.

Basically please bring back NHL 2K 2K.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Defensive skill stick has been one of the most prominent wishlist features for years. I think it was last year after 16 was released Rammer asked in some thread what do people mean with defensive skill stick. They just don't have any glue.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
rammer is fuckboy trash

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ThinkTank posted:

Have they added a feature to effectively move your stick around on the defensive side of things? Holding LT in NHL 2K4 allowed you to move your stick around freely with the right stick while in the defensive zone. It made up for the difficulty of translating the minor positioning corrections seen in real hockey to a video game and was such a useful and intuitive feature that it boggles my mind that it hasn't been put in any of the EA games yet. You can sorta do it by holding the left bumper but you a) blindly pokecheck first and b) it only sorta wildly swings in the direction you want it.

The aiming a poke check feature existed in NHL at one point. I forget which version, but I remember using it a lot in EASHL and then it disappeared probably because people (like myself) would just start swinging wildly and tripping everyone for fun. Then they took out vision control and gave it back, albeit a retarded version of it.

sba posted:

rammer is fuckboy trash

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

They need to fix the loving penalties too. I'm so tired of getting a tripping penalty while poke checking some guy who is skating two miles per hour or even standing still. Nobody ever gets tripped in that position. In fact tripping is rare in general in hockey.

I get that they don't want people just spamming poke check all day but it's a little ridiculous how often tripping happens.

Thunderhorse Z
Sep 29, 2010

We're in a tight spot.
Goaltender positioning seems a little more realistic, at least seems like goalies are getting more out of position to make scoring a tad bit easier in NHL 16. Also slapshots are god just bomb that poo poo from the point.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I pulled together all the build data into one sheet: http://bit.ly/2aARMM5
Thanks to Hockles for getting me pictures of the D builds.

Some preliminary analysis:

• Keep in mind these are just based on the displayed 1-10 values in the UI. It's likely that the actual numbers behind each build are more granular.
  • Also, Height and weight definitely do seem to have an impact, but it's not always clear how much it matters.
  • Every single build is skating 7, so height/weight should be the only skating speed factors.
  • In terms of points, Power Forward is still 'overspecced' compared to the other builds, but on the current beta tuner it's incredibly hard even for a PWF to get open net-front and get out of tie-ups.
  • Power Forward is also 'strictly better' stats-wise than Hitting Sniper -- every score is equivalent or higher, although the height/weight are different.
  • Two-Way Dangler is almost completely outclassed by Two-Way Forward (only drawback is a 6 hands score vs 7). Deking feels significantly more effective overall in this tuner pack, so you might as well get the extra passing, defense, and physical points from Two-Way Forward.
  • Enforcer is a terrible build unless you're those assholes who just want to fight all game. Grinder or Jumbo Playmaker are much better for playing a physical game.
  • Similarly, Enforcer Defenseman is also terrible. Defensive Defenseman is strictly better (aside from height/weight).

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 29, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
So PWF and TWD all day err day just like last year got it

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I have a data build for this game too and here's my analysis:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

The aiming a poke check feature existed in NHL at one point. I forget which version, but I remember using it a lot in EASHL and then it disappeared

I think It was 10 cause yeah I remember it too it was fun whipping that thing around

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Don't buy this terrible game.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I played the beta 2 days and uninstalled it.

Please rename thread to NHL 17: Nevermind

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rocket League remains the best hockey game available.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Let it be known that on this day, I, aunt jemima, scored on a penalty shot with the Enforcer build :tipshat:

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

The game looks too much like 16 to get any excitement going. It's pretty obvious now what the limits of this engine are. Yes, it's really hard to make hockey game where puck feels like separate object and sticks don't go through sticks and players but they should still try that. First thing I notice when I go back to 16 how unrealistic the game feels because of that.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First NHL game literally ever that I'm not going to buy. I spent the difference on the crazy $130 version of NBA 2k17. gently caress you, EA. the gameplay was amazing from NHL 10-14 and you take features out and make it unplayable. Suck my rear end.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
This thread sure got weird.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

LegioPraetoria posted:

This thread sure got weird.

No kidding. Is it really that much worse than 16?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Poke checking is bad.
Body checking doesn't work right.
Passing is worse.
AI is super-overpowered.
Puck pick-ups aren't changed.

I'm sure others can add to this.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hitting is the only enjoyable part of the beta right now, everything else is hot garbage.

We ran an all-Enforcer team a few nights ago. In our first game, in the position selection screen vs our opponents, 4 of them readied up with normal builds. 1 did not. Then the rest unreadied, and all switched to Enforcers, and we had an all-Enforcer game that was probably the funniest thing I've seen in NHL in a long time. It was 0-0 into the third period because you couldn't skate 3 strides without getting absolutely blasted. Loose pucks were just pile-ups of bodies flying around. We ended up winning 2-0, I think the first goal we just kept checking things until the game broke and the puck warped through their goalie. Goal 2 was a penalty shot where aunt_jemima's slick skill stick moves were too much for the enforcer's hand rating to convey so the puck just teleported into the back of the net.

In the next game vs a normal team our hits seemed far less effective. Skating straight into a two way dangler and having them only do the bump animation (and of course retrieve the puck and keep skating), things like that. Like the game sees enforcer v enforcer and goes "yeah let's make this wacky" but if you try it vs the usual hitting sniper shitlords you get penalized.

e: And xbox one recording/streaming is also broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
You people are nuts. Game is a not-insignificant improvement. I have no idea what game you guys are playing that the puck pickups aren't way better, poke checks are poor, bodychecking isn't functional, I have experienced absolutely nothing like that. Passing is merely more difficult, not worse. In fact it seems to 'split the difference' with the pass assist a lot less frequently which I've been whining about for years. The puck is nice and live, but probably TOO live, and they'll balance that out over time (as they always do, when the legions of crybabies who can't automatically dangle through every forest raise a stink and EA re-applies the glue to everyone's stick blades). Not sure about the AI stuff as I only do EASHL and HUT. Only complaint I have there is that EASHL computer D are slightly TOO good at angling to the puck on dump-ins. The occasional miscalculation or slow pivot would be nice.

But then, I'm just one guy.

• Locked thread