Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Soft Shell Crab posted:

It's probably another reset year like 15 was, after the Neo and the new Xbox have arrived. They are going to scratch all the modes and have only the bare bones engine that is somehow worse than it was in previous generation.

I was going to say, the NHL team has been on some sort of weird 3 year cycle where the strip all the mechanics down to the bone, then slowly build them back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
they moved FIFA to a new engine this year, so yeah, NHL is going to be in limbo for a bit until they move too

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://xboxclips.com/Legeidus/463d2f07-3668-4df6-a22d-a9b14823bc4a

a defense of this game is a defense for killing Harambe

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
looks like a good shot to me, idk

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

#dicksoutforbetterdefense

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

He just put a lot of topspin on that shot, that's how it got through, imo.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMn9ekhTgA

i like the scoring in this game tbh

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

just lol at green not being on the boards for that pass back to the point

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
haha, to be fair, he said sorry immediately after

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
I cant even tell you how loving stupid I felt at that moment.

Edit: Whatever, I got the primary apple. I've moved on.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you're an idiot, NHL 17 is now available on EA Access on Xbox One.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

If you're an idiot, NHL 17 is now available on EA Access on Xbox One.

Yay! I'm an idiot!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just got NHL 17 installed and find out the EA servers are down. Thanks EA.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This will be the first and only time you enjoy the idea of playing NHL 17.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Flaggy posted:

Just got NHL 17 installed and find out the EA servers are down. Thanks EA.

A release day ritual.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's for our own good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Actually the servers are up and I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ld1-nRSHg

so that was pretty cool i guess

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Actually the servers are up and I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ld1-nRSHg

so that was pretty cool i guess

All I really see is clunky old NHL in action. Even when the two defenders overcommit to the puck carrier and you are left with only the goalie there is this feeling of stiffness when your players score like they could easily have hosed up that situation. That was bad explanation but maybe you get what I mean.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This is the first year since they introduce the skill stick that I actually completely missed the launch of the game. In previous years I'd be chomping at the bit to get it on day one, but I didn't even know it was out until this morning.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Soft Shell Crab posted:

All I really see is clunky old NHL in action. Even when the two defenders overcommit to the puck carrier and you are left with only the goalie there is this feeling of stiffness when your players score like they could easily have hosed up that situation. That was bad explanation but maybe you get what I mean.

Yes, it definitely still feels like NHL!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does the ECHL factor into Franchise Mode? That's the only mode I play in this game and it'd be kinda cool to have the lower end players with the Monsters be able to go down and "develop" in ECHL simmed or even played games as opposed to just being a laundry list of extras who probably aren't going to play.

E- If it does, I'm resurrecting the hell out of the Dayton Bombers.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 14, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Unlike MLB The Show, only the AHL is in Franchise mode.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
That's loving stupid, what's even the point of having them then? Just for the 8 people who go to South Carolina Stingrays games and want to play two games with them before they're bored with 64 OVR players who can't do anything?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does this game not start every god drat team in Franchise with 49 or 50 players on the roster in the first season so trades are actually possible? I'd like to shed a depth player for a pick, but can't because 27 teams are already at 50 loving contracts.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

That's loving stupid, what's even the point of having them then? Just for the 8 people who go to South Carolina Stingrays games and want to play two games with them before they're bored with 64 OVR players who can't do anything?

I'd get behind a mode where I could assign your lowest end players to an ECHL team of your choice (since I think that's how it works now). I could send some the 59-65OVRs to Cincinnati and they could develop however EA does it through playing in simmed games so you could see if they were worth anything. That, or play a handful of games myself and let the game do the rest, like I do with the Monsters.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm digging this year's edition a lot, but that's because I'm a simpleton. I play online or local multiplayer with a friend or two, and dick around with the season mode.

Occasionally I'll jump over to Be A Pro.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I'm enjoying this years version a lot. Been playing a lot of drop in EASHL games.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

After playing couple offline and online HUT games I'm disappointed and I barely expected anything from the game. The game feels really terrible. Like NHL 15 level of bad. Somehow it's a step backward from NHL 16 which is blowing my mind.

It just feels fundamentally unresponsive. From the slow menus to the game play the clunkiness is what seems to define this whole drat game. It doesn't even have the new game smell for me. Seams are showing right away and playing feels like a chore from the first game.

I hope I'm being too harsh and the game will get better as I play more, but I really can't see that happening now.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Fun fact the games will never ever get any better as long as they keep making millions off HUT and preorder purchases. So don't be surprised when the game is bad or worse every single year.

Oglogoth fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 15, 2016

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I'm only surprised how much worse it is.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

HanabaL03 posted:

I'm enjoying this years version a lot. Been playing a lot of drop in EASHL games.

:stare: This combination of words confuses me greatly.

So far I've somewhat enjoyed it but I seem to be the rare person on The Neighborhood due to my ability to score and assist on the most ridiculous goals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uNJGS4QfQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLm4lUywp68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwS-YWH6wHc

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i thought the goalies weren't supposed to do the same canned animations that look lovely ???

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Yeah but guys the menus are totally reskinned. I mean they're still the same exact menus, and still slow and clunky, but they LOOK different!

Also, I play HUT because I enjoy having Ryan White as a first line winger for a month before I pull an upgrade such as Dorsett.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

There is an option to listen to the same old "NHL theme" for a third year in a row instead of whatever the kids listen to these days, which is appreciated. Also seems like the EA forums have been down after this hot mess was realeased. Coincidence? Probably, but I like to think not.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Are there any ps4 goons with an EASHL team? My internet seems to have stabilized enough to actually make it through a game without crashing so I'd be up for partying up with some people.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Those "Your Local Rink" arenas are kinda cool.

I figure there are still no custom soundtracks/playlists, hitting is worthless, and the players standing directly over the puck do every AI motion possible except "take possession of the puck", though. I miss "Breakin' The Law" and Genesis' "Misunderstanding" playing when my team takes a penalty at home, damnit. :(

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I don't know if there is a way to make the Draft Champions mode any more uninteresting than it's in NHL.

In FIFA 16 - which I played briefly - you would pay, I think, one gold pack amount of points to enter for a change to win two packs if you win all four games. I don't remember if it was quite like that but the idea was that you would get some added value if you win and the excitement of opening couple packs at the end.

In NHL Draft Champions you don't pay anything to enter but there is no excitement in winning. If you win three games but lose the last you get thee cards. If you win all four you get four cards. There is no bigger reward for winning all four games. Only downside in losing the last game is that you played a game that didn't get you a card. How more uninteresting they could make this?

You have to grind one hundred cards to get the player card that is the only sensible option to spend your cards so winning four cards doesn't feel like you've actually won anything. Feels about as exciting as depositing money in bank in real life. Rant over.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Any xbone teams playing EASHL?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Any xbone teams playing EASHL?

Did I miss another sba meltdown?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Bradf0rd posted:

Did I miss another sba meltdown?

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Right. The meltdown needs to actually end before another meltdown can begin.

• Locked thread