Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I would maybe pay 10 euros for Old Time Hockey after the bad reviews just because it's a hockey game to play for a couple hours. It's almost twenty euros. They are even bad at pricing their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
That poo poo'll go on DEEP deep discount (or be free on ps+) on steam in no time

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This was going to be the first time literally ever (I've owned every EA NHL game, usually at launch) that I didn't buy, but I saw it on sale and gave in. I guess it's not as bad as last year, but wow is it still a gigantic piece of poo poo. Clunky and hollow and a shell of say, NHL 11. It's also just a literal cash grab now. They're clearly sabotaging every gameplay mode that isn't HUT. EA and Rammer are scum.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Am I missing something in NHL 17? Or is passing just loving impossible this year and the defensive AI retarded? I can't even play HUT because the other four players on my team I'm not controlling at any given time have no loving clue how to play hockey. The last good NHL game I played was NHL 14, and before that it was NHL 10. EA is loving trash garbage

EDIT: Also, this year's hilarious glitch appears to be players not being able to find the puck, even when it is right in front of their stick at their feet. Truly amazing.

barnold fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 6, 2017

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

No you are not missing anything. I think they actually advertised the new puck pick ups either in 17 or 16 as something new and great and they are horrible. Also there are now all kinds of automated animations that really mess up the game mechanics. The AI.. better not even talk about that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the game just crashed and I found out there's no autosave and I just lost the two hours I put into a Be a Pro career hahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it's a good thing i got this game free through EA Access otherwise i'd be seriously rooting for North Korea to send something over to Redwood City right about now

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah totally a reasonable reaction to losing 2 hours in a lovely mode

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Also the game isn't developed in Redwood City so you wouldn't accomplish anything.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Be a pro and be a gm used to used to be two of the best in their categories out of all sports games, and now they're just trash. It sucks.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Who cares, nothing matters, no one knows anything, everything sucks.

enjoy arbys

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

Who cares, nothing matters, no one knows anything, everything sucks.

enjoy arbys

my curly fries were cold last time I went to arby's so I'd like to see their corporate headquarters hit with a nuclear weapon

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I used to be addicted to these games and no matter how much I want to try to play, I just can't do it. I used to have so much fun with Be A GM. :negative:

I even got a kick out of when my team (CBJ) would acquire a player in real life after I drafted/signed/traded for them in one of the games over the years: by my count, it's Nathan Paetsch and Scottie Upshall (both NHL 08) and Scott Harrington (I think NHL 12 or 14). Anybody else ever unintentionally had that happen?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I also remember fondly the golden years. Nhl 12 was such a good game, fun to play, controls felt responsive. Maybe not that realistic skating engine but it's a drat video game and I would rather take that than what we have now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

I used to be addicted to these games and no matter how much I want to try to play, I just can't do it. I used to have so much fun with Be A GM. :negative:

I even got a kick out of when my team (CBJ) would acquire a player in real life after I drafted/signed/traded for them in one of the games over the years: by my count, it's Nathan Paetsch and Scottie Upshall (both NHL 08) and Scott Harrington (I think NHL 12 or 14). Anybody else ever unintentionally had that happen?

Varlamov to the Avs.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

CBJSprague24 posted:

I traded for Hasek as the Wings in NHL 2000 and when it happened in real life I almost poo poo a brick

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I almost had a fourth- I traded Alexander Svitov to Calgary(?) for Jamie Lundmark, which was the first ever trade I made in Be A GM way back in NHL 07. The CBJ were apparently in on him for depth in 2009.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Has there ever been a hockey game without one-timer? One of the most basic things in hockey. Blades of Steel had one-timer if I remember correctly. Did nes Ice-Hockey?

I know this is like two months old but NHL 93 didn't have one timers. I have a distant memory of 94's marketing involving new one timers and manually controlled goalies.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I had forgot they made 93. I always though 94 was the first NHL and then 95 had fake slap shots, back passes and Panthers and Ducks. But I guess 93 was console only game.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think three might've been an NHLPA Hockey before that even

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I think three might've been an NHLPA Hockey before that even

Basically, yeah. There was "NHL Hockey" released in 1991

I still have my NHLPA 93 SNES cartridge kicking around somewhere.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They put out Genesis/SNES releases of the NHL series up to '98. :psyduck:

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
this is $10 on psn right now

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Jack_tripper posted:

this is $10 on psn right now

I was directed over here from the PSN Store thread. Having skimmed this thread I think I already know the answer I'm gonna get but I'm gonna ask anyway.

For a filthy casual hockey fan who hasn't played an NHL game since last gen on the 360 (loved Be a Pro) and has no interest at all in online/Ultimate Team bullshit, is this worth the :10bux: asking price?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You can probably squeeze $10 out of Be a Pro if you're hard up for some hockey, yes.

Obligatory: game is trash garbage gently caress EA fu rammer

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I don't understand what kind of value people expect that they agonize over a $10 game

Hmmmm this burrito bowl is good but is it $8 good? I only got 20 minutes of enjoyment out of it. For it to be worth that much I better eat it for at least 3 hours or what's the point.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

inferis posted:

I don't understand what kind of value people expect that they agonize over a $10 game.

Basically I'm trying to find out if this series is still a dumpster fire on current gen systems and thus run the gently caress away as fast as possible.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
it's the best hockey game on ps4 and will remain so for at least the next 3 months

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I have definitely gotten $10 of enjoyment out of both BaP and Franchise mode. I'm willing to go as high as $11.99 worth of enjoyment.

gently caress EA and #FireRammer tho

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack_tripper posted:

it's the best hockey game on ps4 and will remain so for at least the next 3 months

In hindsight I wouldn't have downloaded 2016 for free. I think it was 2016 at least. The one where they patched in the draft in be a gm after release.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
it's still a hunk of poo poo because there's zero incentive for EA to truly fix the game, but it's definitely more fun than recent years and worth $10

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

THE MACHO MAN posted:

it's still a hunk of poo poo because there's zero incentive for EA to truly fix the game, but it's definitely more fun than recent years and worth $10

Is it worth $10 to play with you?

no

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

This game is legitimately fun if you have a dedicated group of people to play EASHL with otherwise it's a load of crap

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Even without a group of friends if you play eashl long enough and send a friend request to every decent player you'll be able to form pickup games pretty easily.

Uniballer
May 14, 2005

Some guy bought me this avatar as a reward for defeating Skizzzer in Internet Hockey. I have slain the mighty! Also, Taylor Hall is gay.

Bradf0rd posted:

Is it worth $10 to play with you?

no

I would pay full price to play with Macho

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

lol even nba live made it into the e3 show and nhl didn't

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
They're too busy tuning flappy jersey technology and making ears diffuse light.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This game is legitimately fun if you have a dedicated group of people to play EASHL with otherwise it's a load of crap

no its not

Uniballer posted:

get blackout drunk and ram your dick into the wall repeatedly while slurring minorities, same thing

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Uniballer posted:

I would too, because half the time he's passed the gently caress out on the floor in a bourbob haze, while his player slowly slides Into the boards, his party members screaming in the background.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

NHL 18 details starting to come out. Looks like next year is dangles, dangles, dangles. Also yay threes I guess.

http://www.operationsports.com/nhl-18-features-revealed-3-3-nhl-threes-mode-creative-attack-controls-league-expansion-much/

Beta sign up for early pain: http://www.easports.com/nhl/beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rammer posted:

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS – Franchise Mode now features the ability to offer contract extensions and ensure the right players stay on your roster.

Well I'll be damned. Given how long it's taken them to add this in I'd wager it took a small team the better part of two years working tirelessly in a small, dark room to get this done.

• Locked thread