Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This game, especially with this beta tuner, is an awful lovely abysmal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I said no such thing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rocket League remains the best hockey game available.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hitting is the only enjoyable part of the beta right now, everything else is hot garbage.

We ran an all-Enforcer team a few nights ago. In our first game, in the position selection screen vs our opponents, 4 of them readied up with normal builds. 1 did not. Then the rest unreadied, and all switched to Enforcers, and we had an all-Enforcer game that was probably the funniest thing I've seen in NHL in a long time. It was 0-0 into the third period because you couldn't skate 3 strides without getting absolutely blasted. Loose pucks were just pile-ups of bodies flying around. We ended up winning 2-0, I think the first goal we just kept checking things until the game broke and the puck warped through their goalie. Goal 2 was a penalty shot where aunt_jemima's slick skill stick moves were too much for the enforcer's hand rating to convey so the puck just teleported into the back of the net.

In the next game vs a normal team our hits seemed far less effective. Skating straight into a two way dangler and having them only do the bump animation (and of course retrieve the puck and keep skating), things like that. Like the game sees enforcer v enforcer and goes "yeah let's make this wacky" but if you try it vs the usual hitting sniper shitlords you get penalized.

e: And xbox one recording/streaming is also broken

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Ugh there's no way those won't be claimed by the time I get home :(

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/cam/account/giftcard/redeem-gift-card-flow.action

May or may not work

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Spinning circles around a puck you can't pick up happens frequently (even in 16) and "not changing line for the pickup" usually means skating passed it without reaching at all.

Here's my review of playing goal in the beta:

*sound of goal horn signifying OT loss*

(overall the controls are a lot better although your inputs mapping to what your goalie actually does when the puck is in close is still fucky)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

He just put a lot of topspin on that shot, that's how it got through, imo.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

just lol at green not being on the boards for that pass back to the point

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This will be the first and only time you enjoy the idea of playing NHL 17.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Any xbone teams playing EASHL?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pleads posted:

Any xbone teams playing EASHL?
Thanks for pushing my LFG off the page, dicks.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Forming a new team to take the cursed disc from whence it came, send all applications to The Fellowship.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tonight I discovered I can stand at the point with my stick in the rafters a la PK Subban.

http://xboxclips.com/Legeidus/47720f94-0176-4b94-8813-00a39d0f05b5

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Unfortunately those console warriors are dedicated to playing the worst game on the worst system.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oh my god please gifv the thousand megabytes of video you just posted

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've wanted Be A Ref mode for a decade and at one point had a whole list of modes and features planned out when I thought I would get into game development.

gently caress EA.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Old Time Hockey is bad, sorry. The skating feels pretty bad, the control inputs are not responsive if you're used to NHL, and the fighting (which the game showed off as its crown jewel) is actually atrocious. It can't decide if it wants to be a 3v3 Arcade-style hit-fest or a more modern sports game in the NHL mold, and it fails at both.

The music is good, hip checks are fun, and the art style is solid. It may end up being an alright couch co-op beer game. Throw them $10 if you want to support literally the only alternative to the EA hockey franchise, but don't expect much.

e: And the goaltending is wildly inconsistent, you'll get absolutely robbed on good plays (there's no one-timers) and then your goalie lets in a floater from the blue line.

Actually basically every gameplay complaint you can levy against NHL applies to Old Time Hockey.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Movement-wise it's about the same as NHL aka mostly OK but sometimes your turns or pivots are dumb as gently caress and leave you flat-footed.

The responsiveness issue is when you're trying to like, hit, or shoot, or slash/trip. It feels like the game only registers one input within a certain time frame. This means you can't spam poo poo over and over, which I guess is good, but also means that if you, say, hook a dude and grab the puck, there's a delay in how fast you can try to pass it away or take a shot.

They tweeted they are hopeful to add one-timers later on down the road (:lol:)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Also the game isn't developed in Redwood City so you wouldn't accomplish anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You can probably squeeze $10 out of Be a Pro if you're hard up for some hockey, yes.

Obligatory: game is trash garbage gently caress EA fu rammer

• Locked thread