Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I will probably buy this game like I did last year, going gently caress you EA I'm not going to buy your stupid buggy half-assed game until the counter I've been staring for two hours to buy and download the game runs down to zero when I immediately click on it like a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

aunt jemima posted:

My thoughts:

• AI are much better about stopping the backdoor cross crease.

I remember this being the case with the last year's beta too, but the actual game always changes lot from the beta. I didn't even sign up this year because of that.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

After reading some beta threads it seems like you can't really pivot or face the puck in defense (even though pivoting was one of their new features words), the most essential thing for defending your goal area. I have in too fresh memory my experiences with 15 and 16 where while defending you just have to stand still because moving in little steps is not an option and trying to move will lead to just completely playing your self out of position. If they fix this though I'm all in. Now I'm out though.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Defensive skill stick has been one of the most prominent wishlist features for years. I think it was last year after 16 was released Rammer asked in some thread what do people mean with defensive skill stick. They just don't have any glue.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

The game looks too much like 16 to get any excitement going. It's pretty obvious now what the limits of this engine are. Yes, it's really hard to make hockey game where puck feels like separate object and sticks don't go through sticks and players but they should still try that. First thing I notice when I go back to 16 how unrealistic the game feels because of that.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

If the puck is nice and live that is good news. I wan't it as live as possible.

I really wan't this game to be good, but I'm conditioned by years of ea's bullshit, so I'm already forming opinions without actually playing the game. But that's on them.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Game has too much long animations that can't be canceled, but the puck pick up animations where the player takes couple strides that you can't control after getting the puck are the worst. I feel about 80% of time like I'm controlling my player.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

No one knows when you are able to play "good" hockey game, doesn't look like any time soon. This year is as good as any in that sense. Plus you already avoided the worst possible hockey game NHL 15.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

It's probably another reset year like 15 was, after the Neo and the new Xbox have arrived. They are going to scratch all the modes and have only the bare bones engine that is somehow worse than it was in previous generation.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Actually the servers are up and I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ld1-nRSHg

so that was pretty cool i guess

All I really see is clunky old NHL in action. Even when the two defenders overcommit to the puck carrier and you are left with only the goalie there is this feeling of stiffness when your players score like they could easily have hosed up that situation. That was bad explanation but maybe you get what I mean.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

After playing couple offline and online HUT games I'm disappointed and I barely expected anything from the game. The game feels really terrible. Like NHL 15 level of bad. Somehow it's a step backward from NHL 16 which is blowing my mind.

It just feels fundamentally unresponsive. From the slow menus to the game play the clunkiness is what seems to define this whole drat game. It doesn't even have the new game smell for me. Seams are showing right away and playing feels like a chore from the first game.

I hope I'm being too harsh and the game will get better as I play more, but I really can't see that happening now.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I'm only surprised how much worse it is.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

There is an option to listen to the same old "NHL theme" for a third year in a row instead of whatever the kids listen to these days, which is appreciated. Also seems like the EA forums have been down after this hot mess was realeased. Coincidence? Probably, but I like to think not.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I don't know if there is a way to make the Draft Champions mode any more uninteresting than it's in NHL.

In FIFA 16 - which I played briefly - you would pay, I think, one gold pack amount of points to enter for a change to win two packs if you win all four games. I don't remember if it was quite like that but the idea was that you would get some added value if you win and the excitement of opening couple packs at the end.

In NHL Draft Champions you don't pay anything to enter but there is no excitement in winning. If you win three games but lose the last you get thee cards. If you win all four you get four cards. There is no bigger reward for winning all four games. Only downside in losing the last game is that you played a game that didn't get you a card. How more uninteresting they could make this?

You have to grind one hundred cards to get the player card that is the only sensible option to spend your cards so winning four cards doesn't feel like you've actually won anything. Feels about as exciting as depositing money in bank in real life. Rant over.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Iodised QQ posted:

I haven't played a ton of NHL17 yet but I opened the freebie packs they give you in HUT and the first ones I opened gave me a top line of ??? - Thornton - Eberle which seemed pretty good for day 1. And then the last pack I opened had a fresh Ovie in it. Now I feel like I have to play for at least a few months to pay them back for such generosity.

At the very least that top line has scored every shift they've had through 2 games so far so on that front I'm enjoying the game even if I'm not noticing much difference from 16

Yeah I got Getzlaf and Hall from the free packs but I was done with the mode in under a week. Such a bore. Draft Champions is no stakes no reward grind and nothing else is even slightly interesting in HUT. Also the game is NHL 16 without sticklifts. No new pivoting like they advertised or anything really to make it feel like it has progressed or even changed little.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Stop playing. Destroy the disc if you have a physical copy.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah. 87 is like the base level for forwards. 88 for goalies. 86 probably for defense.

If you wan't to make some pucks just hang around the one hour mark in auction house and try to snatch the cards that people put in auction for too cheap and then immediately put then back on auction for higher price. Also set the search parameters so new cards coming to auction don't make you lose the one hour mark that you need to be watching. It's pretty easy to make pucks this way in the 4000-20000 price range cards and make couple hundred to thousand pucks per auction when you find the right balance for the search parameters.

I was also playing the mode building a team, was about to get my first 94 overall legend when I accidentally sold one of my most expensive cards for pennies and said gently caress it as I didn't really enjoy the actual game.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Whole gameplay is about the same old too long canned animations that can't be varied or cancelled in any way and make this whole mess feel really unresponsive and not fun to play. Copy and paste this when NHL 18 comes out and the next after that and the next after that.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yep. The mechanics don't allow any kind of interesting or fun vs. game. They tried to make the game - especially skating - more realistic but now we have game where you play with incredibly stiff and clunky mechanics "the right way" or abuse the backward skating and auto dekes most of the game and end up hilariously unrealistic looking hockey.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I haven't played the mode since the release of the game but don't you get legends from the sets now? You have to collect certain player cards - not all - plus some other cards and then you get your legend and I guess you can sell that for packs.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

EA will never be able to program real interference into their games. You can interfere all you wan't but sometimes when you just collide you get penalty.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

I'M HAVING FUN ~spends 20 minutes running after the Japanese pole lady only to get thrown off a cliff from am unblockable hit~

That is pretty good summary of the game

Soft Shell Crab fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 27, 2017

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

ESHL would be god damned hilarious with human refs.

My true dream is NHL 1987 though with 80's style goaltending, hitting, and skating. I guess you could argue ESHL already kinda is that but being able to tard down the wing and wing slappers on some tiny goalie in short pads would own.

New game called Old Time Hockey is literally this. Even earlier though as none of the players have helmets. I haven't played it but it's apparently pretty poor on the game mechanics side unfortunately.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Pleads posted:

the control inputs are not responsive if you're used to NHL

I can't even fathom how unresponsive the controls are in that case.

There are no one-timers? Lol.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Has there ever been a hockey game without one-timer? One of the most basic things in hockey. Blades of Steel had one-timer if I remember correctly. Did nes Ice-Hockey?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

So now I'm hoping this isn't poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ybjx9RQjek but let's be honest it'll probably be poo poo.
also ^^^ this game has one-timers so hey it's got that going for it.

I don't like how they make these games super simple with the violence being the focus. I mean it doesn't have to be like NHL with all the mechanics but some kind of sense that you are actually controlling the puck would be nice. But I know.. easier said than done. NHL has been done forever and it basically has two different modes: player having a puck and puck being loose and the boundary between those two modes is pretty drat messy and glichy.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I would maybe pay 10 euros for Old Time Hockey after the bad reviews just because it's a hockey game to play for a couple hours. It's almost twenty euros. They are even bad at pricing their game.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

No you are not missing anything. I think they actually advertised the new puck pick ups either in 17 or 16 as something new and great and they are horrible. Also there are now all kinds of automated animations that really mess up the game mechanics. The AI.. better not even talk about that.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I also remember fondly the golden years. Nhl 12 was such a good game, fun to play, controls felt responsive. Maybe not that realistic skating engine but it's a drat video game and I would rather take that than what we have now.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I had forgot they made 93. I always though 94 was the first NHL and then 95 had fake slap shots, back passes and Panthers and Ducks. But I guess 93 was console only game.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

They should rebuild the engine from ground up. Adding new features won't work, it hasn't worked for a while as the underlying engine is so sketchy. Defensive skill stick has been something that's been on top of new feature lists after they removed the previous attempt, but I don't expect it to work well with the current engine. Or at all really. Last year it was side movement and goal front battles they added as new features and both turned out not to work great. You just can't add new features on a already broken system and expect them to work.

But this is basically just back-of-the-box stuff from EA to sell couple copies and then cash in on HUT cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

It's just yearly friendly reminder.

• Locked thread