Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

turboraton posted:

Get the gently caress outta here.

Ragingsheep posted:

IG definitely was not one of the favourites and Newbee was slated to possibly do well but not win.

DK was absolutely a favourite to win TI4, and Newbee was DK's strongest rival in the China scene.

So yes, Newbee was definitely a favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Very few people believed in Newbee before TI4, It was really all about EG and DK back then with most people just ignoring all other teams.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

"favorite" means youre not darer is what im gathering here

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

stringball posted:

I've blindly copied merlini 1:1 every year and every major and probably did better than if I did it myself

He hasn't done a video this year so I've gotta wait

Also on this note I've voted Alliance to win the final every yea and every major(even the year they actually won!) because I'm both very stupid and like sticking to a team no matter what

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TI4 favorites were definitely EG + DK. There's a reason there's a loving comic depicting their grand final match.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

cdec almost won 5 and they were the wildcard sooo

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

IG definitely was not one of the favourites and Newbee was slated to possibly do well but not win.

uhh how many teams would you have put above ig going in?? lgd and?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
gently caress I got a gold PPD card with +20% points for GPM come on valve

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
someone repost the quote suggesting IG shouldn't have been invited to Ti2. It was good.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

TI2 was all about how Chinese teams were poo poo and stuck in dota 1 and wouldn't be able to adapt to dynamic playstyle of teams like CLG or w/e

we literally have that gooniest orientalist post in memoriam of TI2 and the ascension of david gorman

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Solid accusation of racism from the gooniest orientalist of them all, nicely wrapped in the sarcastic wit of a 5-star reddit post, but how about instead of comparing inarguably the best SEA dota 2 team with Mouz you try and justify MUFC, Orange, 0-2 iG (are you loving serious with this Valve), and Darer over any one of Mouz, mTw, Quantic, or ex-Quantic. Don't forget absolute "lost 21 of our last 29" Legends. Or gently caress, VP, if we're going by your ridiculously tortured standard of, "some (all) of their players were considered good in dota 1 two years ago when teams were playing for €1K EU in Farm4Fame something something pedigree something something." If you can see this as anything but a hilarious transparent grab at a market we've already established didn't even loving exist up until the TI invites went out I don't know what to tell you. One part cognitive dissonance, two parts desperately trying to curry favor with Valve, maybe. Your "casting career" isn't going anywhere, you don't need to bend over backwards to defend brazen incompetence.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Up Circle posted:

uhh how many teams would you have put above ig going in?? lgd and?

Navi???

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

for the record ig was expected to do pretty well at ti2 idk what youre all smoking lol...pass it...haha..idk if id have called them favorites but theres a reason everyone thought equilibrium was a retard . . ..

gangnam reference fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 29, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

gangnam reference posted:

for the record ig was expected to do pretty well at ti2 idk what youre all smoking lol...pass it...haha..idk if id have called them favorites but theres a reason everyone thought equilibrium was a retard . . ..

idk, I just remember everyone talking about how chinese teams wouldn't be able to adapt or were outdated or were still getting used to dota 2 or w/e

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Solid accusation of racism from the gooniest orientalist of them all, nicely wrapped in the sarcastic wit of a 5-star reddit post, but how about instead of comparing inarguably the best SEA dota 2 team with Mouz you try and justify MUFC, Orange, 0-2 iG (are you loving serious with this Valve), and Darer over any one of Mouz, mTw, Quantic, or ex-Quantic. Don't forget absolute "lost 21 of our last 29" Legends. Or gently caress, VP, if we're going by your ridiculously tortured standard of, "some (all) of their players were considered good in dota 1 two years ago when teams were playing for €1K EU in Farm4Fame something something pedigree something something." If you can see this as anything but a hilarious transparent grab at a market we've already established didn't even loving exist up until the TI invites went out I don't know what to tell you. One part cognitive dissonance, two parts desperately trying to curry favor with Valve, maybe. Your "casting career" isn't going anywhere, you don't need to bend over backwards to defend brazen incompetence.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
There's a difference between "favourites" and "do well".

This year, I'd put OG, Liquid, Wings and Newbee as the favourites but I'd expect teams like MVP and LGD (before their vsia problem) to do well.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
The wildcard group might still be cancelled right? Or is vgr gonna play 4v5 lol

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Zo posted:

The wildcard group might still be cancelled right? Or is vgr gonna play 4v5 lol

vgr's not in the wildcard

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
For predictions, just wait for Nahaz and Noxville to release a data driven video and then do the opposite.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Majuju posted:

vgr's not in the wildcard

If a main team drops out there's an extra slot, cmon man this isn't hard.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Ambivalent posted:

idk, I just remember everyone talking about how chinese teams wouldn't be able to adapt or were outdated or were still getting used to dota 2 or w/e
I remember that coming up more around TI3 where Chinese teams couldn't play Wisp and therefore didn't know how to play against Wisp strategies (or to an extent TI5 with Techies).

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

There's a difference between "favourites" and "do well".

This year, I'd put OG, Liquid, Wings and Newbee as the favourites but I'd expect teams like MVP and LGD (before their vsia problem) to do well.

they were expected to be top 5 idk who else that year you canc all a favorite besides navi lmao

can tell ur brains broke cause eg aint ur favorite

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

there's that, but that was also still the period of thinking chinese brains were superior to western ones, when we now know that to not to be the case

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Zo posted:

If a main team drops out there's an extra slot, cmon man this isn't hard.

They have a sub, they're not dropping out

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

they were expected to be top 5 idk who else that year you canc all a favorite besides navi lmao

can tell ur brains broke cause eg aint ur favorite

Is your grammar some kind of gimmick or just how naturally post?

Is top 5 out of 16 when the game is in relative infancy really that impressive?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Red Red Blue posted:

They have a sub, they're not dropping out

Oh ok i thought nono didn't have his visa either for some reason.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Even if VGR did drop out there would be 4 wildcard teams and 3 spots to fill, you'd still play those games

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Red Red Blue posted:

Even if VGR did drop out there would be 4 wildcard teams and 3 spots to fill, you'd still play those games

Excretion or tnc might not make it at all. Forget which.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Well it's an even numbered year so a chinese team is going to win. But which one??

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

xcore posted:

Is your grammar some kind of gimmick or just how naturally post?

Is top 5 out of 16 when the game is in relative infancy really that impressive?

just how naturally post.

uhhh i think youre misunderstanding lol...but whatever...dumb topic anyway.. . par for course.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

Excretion or tnc might not make it at all. Forget which.

I think they bother have issues but Execration is the one with the biggest problems from memory.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

drunken officeparty posted:

Well it's an even numbered year so a chinese team is going to win. But which one??

EHOME gonna go all the way from the wildcards!

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Gonna post the nahaz spergout again, why would mafia do something like this to someone, implying nahaz wasn't a sperger already

https://youtu.be/7fBfmPENyK0

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

stringball posted:

Gonna post the nahaz spergout again, why would mafia do something like this to someone, implying nahaz wasn't a sperger already

https://youtu.be/7fBfmPENyK0

he's a perfect fit for CoL

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Haha yeah that clip needs to be in the OP for sure.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

ti2 is actually hilarious to look back on because ixmike complexity and demon EG were both near the top of their groups and got blown the gently caress out by china immediately in the main stage games.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Crummelhorn posted:

he absolutely is

Yesssss!!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Radical posted:

ti2 is actually hilarious to look back on because ixmike complexity and demon EG were both near the top of their groups and got blown the gently caress out by china immediately in the main stage games.

EG shoulda won their series against iG but EG demon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't played Dota 2 in months and have no clue what the meta is but I guess I'll watch the International.

It feels weird not giving a poo poo about any of the cosmetic stuff Valve is hawking this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Radical posted:

r i p hannahmontana

• Locked thread