Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
on the other hand, ig were absolute dogshit and never expected to do anything at the tournament, while navi were litereally the best team ever to play dota 2, so its really just living up to expectations that they won that game. it's not that impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i still think its pretty funny that LGD won 19 games in a row at ti2 and then tilted right out of the tournament

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

I mean, the play execution wasn't really everything that made up the play though. Though Dendi's execution during the play was pretty sick. He force-staffs himself out of range of Ravage, lifts the Lina, then steals Ravage (because Tide was in the black hole and couldn't Anchor Smash), then Ravages the enemy. It was also just that LoH had a BKB at ~17 minutes and that he went BKB first. It was this along with the fact that the draft and Engima build was actually just really good against Naga which had been basically unbeatable in every other game, especially Naga + Dark Seer which they had. Everyone was surprised as poo poo when they picked Juggernaut, and it turned out to be super good because of the turnaround potential. And of course, the stage it was taking place on was huge. It wasn't "standard" by any definition.

Bring back support mids

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Arzachel posted:

Bring back support mids

EG did lm ao

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Who is the villain of this TI gonna be

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Internet Kraken posted:

Secret was my first thought but I suppose they're more like the mid-boss

e: Of all the teams I can think of (Secret, CoL, EG, TnC) I think EG is probably the best candidate to actually get past day one but 'Murica

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 29, 2016

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

China's been the villain for pretty much every TI, so that's the safe bet (barring Wings of course).

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
going back through old threads, can't believe there was a point when I thought death prophet was more fun to watch than invoker smdh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pyrion Flax posted:

There was a fear that the Chinese would just outfarm and outbore everybody. I know people think of Alliance as being boring to watch, but I personally really like split push games because they build momentum to a point where there are crazy desperation pushes, buybacks and baseraces. NaVi were the favourites as far as I can tell but there was also a concern that that opinion was just people being anti-chinese.

I think you're mixing up a bit here. Alliance at TI3 was the infinite effiency eveyrthing timed to perfection team. They werent really ratting at all, except for like two games where they fell behind but managed to win anyway (lgd, navi). Alliance were also massive favorites to win the tournament even before it started.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I am going to get very confused when DC vs Newbee featuring Moo vs Mu happens

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah didn't Alliance go 12-0 or something in the group stage at TI3? China was relatively weak that year IIRC.

TI2 was definitely the one with "oh god china is so boring but they still keep winning" complaining, mainly because there weren't any East vs. West tourneys at the time and the Dota1 4-protect-1 (that China was historically known for) was still super popular over there.

It also had OP Lycan, the sudden Morphling meta pick, and the previously-mentioned Dark Seer+Naga combo.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Majuju posted:

going back through old threads, can't believe there was a point when I thought death prophet was more fun to watch than invoker smdh

oh yeah cool invoker ResidentSleeper

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Majuju posted:

I mean, any hero becomes boring when you see them in every single match. Also despite his plethora spells, Invoker was being run pretty much the exact same way in every singe pro match.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Pureauthor posted:

I'm still sad TI4 will forever be remembered for 'DEATHBALL' because that's what VG used to kick everyone out and not all the other crazy stuff like jungle Juggernaut.

TI4 was really cool but it's unfortunate the finals were pretty poo poo.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Majuju posted:

I remember a time when everyone was super excited to see Naix being picked. What a time to be a live.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Predictions for finals standings:

1. OG
2. WINGS
3. EG
n+1: Secret
n: Jimmy

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurreco posted:

Predictions for finals standings:

1. OG
2. WINGS
3. EG
n+1: Secret
n: Jimmy

pretty sure you're overrating complexity there

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

botany posted:

coL went further than Secret last year and that was before EE was able to throw games for Puppey.

4 position Axe is the pocket strat that Secret is relying on and teams will have it figured out. coL have no strats aside from Wisp Tiny so there is no good counter

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i stand with jimmy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

botany posted:

I'm assuming he's not counting the two teams that don't make it out of the wild card

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Internet Kraken posted:

China is almost always thrust in the villain role because of their cultural insularity. That exists both nationally, because there's few interviews, no memes, no Chinese players hanging out in Twitch chat or shitposting on Twitter; but also a lot in their gaming scene. Their scene is the same fifty guys playing musical chairs, though it's rapidly shrunk to about 30 guys at this rate.

Wings is great because they're loving weird and aside from Iceice's brief stint supporting in BigGod nobody's really heard of them before this year.

Prediction based on what I genuinely think is going to happen, not based on my own biases: 1. LGD, 2. OG, 3. Liquid, 4. Navi, 5. Newbee

Prediction based on my personal fan biases that I troll you all with: 1. Liquid, 2. LGD, 3. Navi, 4. EG, 5. Wings. (OG = LOL, Secret = somewhere underneath DC)

I would really, really like a Liquid championship, for a bunch of reasons ranging from "Mutumbaman rules" to wanting the run of no repeat orgs/players to continue.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

China is almost always thrust in the villain role because of their cultural insularity. That exists both nationally, because there's few interviews, no memes, no Chinese players hanging out in Twitch chat or shitposting on Twitter; but also a lot in their gaming scene. Their scene is the same fifty guys playing musical chairs, though it's rapidly shrunk to about 30 guys at this rate.

nice try

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Which team is RTZ on right now?

That's the one. That's the villain team.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurreco posted:

coL went further than Secret last year and that was before EE was able to throw games for Puppey.

4 position Axe is the pocket strat that Secret is relying on and teams will have it figured out. coL have no strats aside from Wisp Tiny so there is no good counter

CoL's best recent result was a 4th place in the prestigious "dota 2 canada cup", where they fell to such luminaries as Void Boys and FDL. Last place in Starladder, next-to-last place in ESL One Frankfurt, next-to-last place in the Manila Major. they are very obviously poo poo right now and might well not make it out of the wild card stage.

edit also lmao at the "4th position axe pocket strat" that secret are relying on. as in, they played it exactly once in starladder while they were cruising through the upper bracket, only to pull it out twice against navi when they were losing to them.

botany fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 30, 2016

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pureauthor posted:

Which team is RTZ on right now?

That's the one. That's the villain team.

I cannot take serious any team with Jacky "Eternal Envy" "Bone 7 Give Me Strength" "I BECOME CLOWN NINE" "LMAO" Mao as a villain. He immediately turns Darth Vader into Dark Helmet.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

arteezy is gru and ee is a minion

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cabbit posted:

I cannot take serious any team with Jacky "Eternal Envy" "Bone 7 Give Me Strength" "I BECOME CLOWN NINE" "LMAO" Mao as a villain. He immediately turns Darth Vader into Dark Helmet.

The new "Spaceballs taken seriously" trilogy of Star Wars villains are probably a better fit since their leader is 90 feet tall and rarely makes public appearances.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Team secret will get top 3 this year

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

they will not

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
Envy will win a ti

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

he will not

Holo
May 9, 2013
envy will use all of his items at the correct times

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Holo posted:

envy will use all of his items at the correct times

Shocking, if true

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im not sure if the axe counts as a pocket pick since its puppey's most played hero this patch in comp

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Secret will crash out in the quarter finals to wings gaming,

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Secret as we know it will disband, with Puppey looking for 5 new dota players with attitude to take up the mantle

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I don't watch much dota but I'll be spending all of the ti in a hotel/cubicle on an onsite and will be bored out of my mind so I will be watching this one. Please tell me things I should know tia.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Looke posted:

Secret as we know it will disband, with Puppey looking for 5 new dota players with attitude to take up the mantle

loving finally ixmike's time in the spotlight has come!!

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

things to know:

☑ Navi back
☐ Alliance back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Radical posted:

things to know:

☑ Navi back
☐ Alliance back

Thank you, I have made a note of this.

Is Nahaz as much of a goober as he seems?

• Locked thread