Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Sphyre posted:

more importantly why is pyrion flax not going to The Town 2

they asked me but it's like one week after TI and I need to see my babies.

gangnam reference posted:

because he's not a tremendous retard

and for the record I really am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Zurreco posted:

Remember when PFlax was going on about how he wasn't in demand for Valve stuff and we disagreed?

I'm gonna find that gently caress and give him a hug.

to be fair to the reddiTARDS (caps mine) questioning my being at TI6 due to lack of work, I was offered four gigs this year but all of them were really short notice so I couldn't do em. TI6 they let me know a month ago, all of us actually, which was nice.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Red Red Blue posted:

Why the gently caress isn't fogged casting at TI

it's loving sad. he's awesome, he should be there, but I guess they have to make the cut somewhere. somewhere other than me, obviously.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Majuju posted:

TI3 if you won the west/east qualifier you were 14/15 slot and then there was a wildcard. TI4 was the weird "only eight teams will make it to main stage" brackets, with all the hotel games for VIPs and poo poo. TI5 is same format as this year's where every team plays at least a Bo1 at Key.

and it was that terrible format where we knew the first finalist on day one. appalling mess. and the "vip" room was just a large hotel conference suite with irritating lighting and uncomfortable seating. glad they abandoned that idea honestly.

if I remember what I was thinking at the four TIs I've actually been at (I have no idea about the other 2, I missed out on TI1 and was only just getting into the game at TI2 so could barely follow it) it was

TI3: CHINA IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE THEY CAN FARM ALL DAY AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES WHAT DO WE DO HOLY poo poo WE BEAT THEM
TI4: CHINESE DEATHBALL IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE AND THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER PLEASE MAKE IT STOP
TI5: THANK GOD THE META IS GOOD THIS YEAR AND THERE ARE CHINESE TEAMS NOT PUTTING PEOPLE TO SLEEP
TI6: JESUS THERE ARE FOUR TEAMS THAT ARE CONSIDERED FAVOURITES BUT WINGS NEED TO WIN THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE CRAZY

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Luna Was Here posted:

what are your compendium picks m8

OG to win it because of Miracle

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

There's no way this is right. Both Alliance and Na'Vi won big tournaments in China leading up to TI3 (Alienware and something else, the tournament where Alliance did the 5 man tp Rosh at the start of the game) and China was freaking out. At the time Alliance was one of the most dominant teams we'd ever seen and people were seriously asking whether they could roll through TI3 undefeated.

There was a fear that the Chinese would just outfarm and outbore everybody. I know people think of Alliance as being boring to watch, but I personally really like split push games because they build momentum to a point where there are crazy desperation pushes, buybacks and baseraces. NaVi were the favourites as far as I can tell but there was also a concern that that opinion was just people being anti-chinese.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Day one summary complete

Here's to day two

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

more like dICK posted:

I bought a Pyrion Flax autographed treasure. Please spend the 25c wisely!

Thank you.

Goonsider info:

They are attempting so much this year at key arena that if they pull it off it will easily be the best broadcast we've ever done. The games are already some of the best group stage games I can remember so I assume the main event will follow on, leaving the broadcast as the only real concern left for me. Cross all your fingers please.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

phew, now that was some tournament y'all

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Tangents posted:

did you get to keep your puppet

probably not. currently negotiating.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Were you guys the ones manipulating the puppets or did they have people to do it for you?

Also if the latter how much of that banter was you guys just loving with them and seeing what you could get them to do?

professional puppeteers. we just sat behind the desk messing about and hoped they could keep up. we were told to play it pretty straight tho and just not reference it at all.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

sugar free jazz posted:

ok real talk real questions. How often do weird nerds awkwardly and grossly hit on Sheever and Kaci? Are there pro players who will not make eye contact with them?

nerds rarely speak to women, you've outed yourself as a non-nerd. GET HIM.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

can confirm that is just slacks' voice.

can also confirm I think he's really funny and awesome and he is a lovely guy.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Bad Moon posted:

I thought PFlax was going to challenge Cap to a duel when Cap accused him of never playing dota anymore.

it was tempting but I don't know what I could beat him in. he's younger, fitter, has hair, is stronger and is better at dota.

sugar free jazz posted:

Ok another serious actual question.

Pflax say you're at a family reunion eating beans on toast and hare from the morning's hunt and a distant cousin asks what you do for a living, what do you say? How do you explain what an esports panelist and commentator is?

this comes up a lot so I just say "I live stream and make videos about games and sometimes I go to live events to talk bollocks about them." which leads to about 30 minutes of head-scratching and bafflement.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

NmareBfly posted:

pflax does purge smell as good as he sounds?

he's incredibly well turned out in all regards

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

botany posted:

hey pflax, while you're here, i just wanted to let you know i think you've done an amazing job this TI and i really enjoyed seeing you host / commentate / whatever

big ups

thank you.

there were 99% normal and nice people at TI this year. previous years have been similar honestly. it's not like the sea of oddballs you might expect, most of them are really very normal.

but there are a few nutters and they always make themselves known. one of the most annoying this year was a kid who hung out near the panel area all day every day and grabbed us every chance he got to explain how he trolled people in pubs by wisp relocating teammates to terrible places and leaving them there. you can see him in the final segment when kaci and slacks are doing their wrap-up thing near the panel and he just starts talking to kaci like it's a conversation he's involved in.

they're harmless I assume. but always in the back of my mind when someone says "pflax!" is that I'll turn around to see a dude with an axe swinging at my head

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Original_Z posted:

Yo Flax you're a sellout! I remember in a podcast from many years ago how you used to talk poo poo about people wearing suits at DOTA events and saying how you'd never be caught wearing one, like how you were depressed that esports were becoming like a boardroom.

Maybe an exception can be made for suits like Bruno's, and I will admit you were rather snazzily dressed, but that's besides the point!

I only wore a suit on two days, and it was actually my choice. I could have just worn any shirt with a collar and they would have been ok with it but when there's $20m on the line and you have to go on the main stage and tv and all that I wanted to look at least like I new that was going to happen, rather than the only guy there not in a suit. Charlie scowled at me any time I looked even slightly scruffy and that was the real pressure.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Osmosisch posted:

Exactly this. I am amazed at the journey from funny little videos to TI host. Well done.

thanks dude

Luna Was Here posted:

I'm not sure how closely affiliated you are with them anymore but is James going to be bringing back any GD Studio stuff after the initial ship of Diabotical? I know he's planning on doing a GD Studio Reunion Show once the Diabotical Twitter hits a certain amount of Twitter followers but I was kind of curious if he was gonna be doing anything dota related, specifically DreamLeague stuff since Gaben kinda put him on the blacklist.

I hope so because I miss James and his whole approach to the scene. he doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves for the innovation he brings behind the scenes. I think the kick-off season of Dreamleague was one of the happiest times I've had working in Dota when I lived in Sweden for a month and we did the tricasts with me, bruno and draskyll and james hosting. it was great.

as for james and the future, he'll be fine. look at the diabotical ks that he did - he had a ton of big names in esports available and willing to help him out. he has a huge amount of "social capital", to use a popular and irritating phrase. dude just owns. I'd work with him again in a heartbeat. he always looks after people.

Up Circle posted:

is charlie a dweeb

charlie is a really cool and funny guy and I like him a lot. I spent a lot more time with him and cap this year than I have in the past and they are both really, really lovely dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Looke posted:

flax, any hope of a uk event happening in the future? I know you had issues trying to organise englan but at the moment we only really have insomnia, which is always won by the same few players of the uk clique

working on it, and yes I agree. and it won't involve those good teams because I want to encourage scrubs to actually go to lans because its fun

• Locked thread