Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Majuju posted:

also I'm seriously blown away by how lovely Valve are being re: information around the event, but it's not going to matter because they made $50 million off compendiums so who cares
CyborgMatt said something on Reddit about how they're waiting for all the visa poo poo to resolve itself before they make big announcements. I guess it doesn't make sense to announce the wildcard schedule when it's entirely possible that the wildcards will just get into the main event.

gangnam reference posted:

First post seems to be missing significant info on how China is poo poo and the USA is going to send them the gently caress home
Uh, excuse me, it's an even year and that means China supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
That's a lot of particle effects. The Razor one looks like a goddamn disco.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Majuju posted:

yeah it's a work in progress, I intend to keep adding to it

caster tier list: they're all poo poo
This is still topical somehow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt67kGDO_3U

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Ambivalent posted:

idk, I just remember everyone talking about how chinese teams wouldn't be able to adapt or were outdated or were still getting used to dota 2 or w/e
I remember that coming up more around TI3 where Chinese teams couldn't play Wisp and therefore didn't know how to play against Wisp strategies (or to an extent TI5 with Techies).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

IcePhoenix posted:

Cutting down to two majors is probably the right choice but now the trophies won't make as much sense (unless they change them)
Bring back the Radiance trophy from DAC.

But yeah, if they can't manage to fit the second major before Chinese New Year, they should just do two.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BeyondRad posted:

Absolutely no one complained at all about it, or the tower range indicator
People complained and were rightfully ignored or ridiculed.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
American pro Brood War player from the Stone Age who parlayed that into a long-running web series trying to teach newbies how to play SC2 (and then stopped that to concentrate on his own RTS game which no one cares about). Kind of obnoxious as a caster because he never leaves the "helping new players" mode, although his brother Tasteless is half of the best SC2 casting partnership. Basically Purge but was actually good at his respective game at some point.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is like 90 percent wrong.
What's the 10%

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

botany posted:

youd be aroused too if you somehow made it to a TI with a hero pool smaller than BSJ's
It worked for AdmiralBulldog.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Apparently I got top 25% in the fantasy challenge by opening 5 packs, selling the rest on the market, and then setting lineups for each day before I left for a 2 week vacation covering the entirety of TI. Shows how many people cared about that.

Speaking of which, is there a canonical list of Good Games to rewatch (including wild cards/group stage)? I caught the finals but nothing before that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
There's a patch.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/23584/

quote:

6.88c
====

* Disruption illusion damage taken increased from 150% to 200%
* Echo Stomped units no longer get targeted by towers or creeps (like nightmare)
* Echo Stomp damage decreased from 85/110/135/160 to 70/100/130/160
* Starstorm Aghanim upgrade no longer releases a second meteor
* Reactive Armor duration decreased from 14/16/18/20 to 10/13/16/19
* Gust cooldown increased from 13 to 16/15/14/13
* Chronosphere cooldown increased from 130/115/100 to 140/125/110
* False Promise cooldown increased from 90/60/30 to 100/65/30
* Lina's Base Attack Time improved from 1.7 to 1.6
* Rupture damage increased from 26/42/60% to 30/45/60%
* Leshrac's movement speed increased from 320 to 325
* Living Armor regeneration bonus increased from 4/7/10/13 to 4/8/12/16
* Stone Form stun delay reduced from 0.85 to 0.55
* Lane creeps now give 35% of experience when denied by neutrals rather than 20% (normal player denies give 50% experience).
Buffing all the heroes that didn't get picked at TI, nerfing Mirana Agh's and a couple other superstars of TI6, and... buffing offlaners?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

botany posted:

offlane desperately needs something to be A Thing again, apart from that im missing techies and lesh buffs
That Thing was Iron Talon, which means that everyone just fucks off from the offlane at the slightest sign of trouble.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Radical posted:

league is much more popular that dota for casual players but their viewership is pretty comparable on twitch. league peaks higher for their international but generally the viewership of major dota events and playoffs of league splits are really similar from western-speaking sources. the majority of league is played in china anyways, i get the distinct impression the player numbers of league have been dropping (in the west at least) based on the kind of seemingly panicked changes riot has been making.

i dont think they're dropping to the point that they're anywhere close to dota numbers but their community is largely against them and most some full time streamers are expecting the game to die in 3-5 years based on the current ladder population and general interest so who knows.
5 years from now is a long loving time, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dota 2 were declining by then as well; they can't keep coming up with new ways to take people's money to increase TI prize pools forever.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

Overwatch is succeeding because its genuinely fun and also doesn't directly compare to anything else gameplay wise. The closest game to it was Battleborn and that game dug its own grave, Blizzard just pushed them into it. It'll probably last a good amount of time, but I doubt its competitive scene is ever really gonna take off. Blizzard isn't balancing it well and their map design is really, really bad for high tier play.
Overwatch is basically Team Fortress 3, but everyone stopped caring about TF2 even before Valve added a bunch of goofy hats and loadouts. It has a bit of the crossover appeal with MOBA players, but some of that is just because a bunch of people who did SC2 casting/analysis are fairly friendly toward Blizzard.

Xtanstic posted:

Really? I would have assumed the opposite. Seriously, no one in this thread actually plays Dota right? We just watch it.
I still play, although less than I watch. It never hit the same level of ladder anxiety for me that SC2 did.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

What hero do you wanna pick to get the "Its Pure Magic" quest cause I'm struggling to think of anyone that deals magic damage in multiple increments over a short period of time.
Refresher Zeus, and you probably want the game to go late so that Static Field counts. I guess Mjolnir helps but that's kinda goofy and out of your way, and you still need to actually win the game.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 23, 2016

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Angrymantium posted:

Offlaners largely need some combination of damage mitigation (tide, bristleback, timber) or an escape (void, slardar, dark seer, timber again). Without atrophy aura pit lord is really vulnerable to ganks, and you lose the ability to bulldoze towers after you win a teamfight early on. He seems kind of like Tusk when he was popular in that if he's paired with an aggressive support he can exert a lot of pressure early and come into the late game with a lot of utility.
I thought you could farm with Firestorm while staying back at max exp range, the way you used to be able to offlane ET and farm with the spirit, or how people used to max axes on offlane Beastmaster, but Firestorm level 1 doesn't do very much damage and he does shove the lane in the process.

I guess it's more viable to treat him like current Beastmaster and just jungle all the way as a greedy 4, but that sort of thing was never particularly good before Iron Talon and I suspect it's about to get nerfed.

edit: Hold on to your butts! (TJ Ramini apparently decided to just give Underlord the same voice as Bristleback.)

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 24, 2016

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kibner posted:

When you would lane-swap, both teams would exchange tower kills, too. Since there is now a first blood on towers, you do all you can to prevent yours from going down in the first few minutes of the game.
And because the bottom tower is weaker than the top tower, the team that switches to top probably loses the race.

For a game whose initial conceit was "let's make DotA but without a lot of the legacy Warcraft 3 nonsense in DotA", Riot seems fairly content to add new nonsense to their game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

NmareBfly posted:

Just out of curiosity, do other esports have any equivalent of the open qualifiers? EG's case this year was pretty odd but the fact that an open qualifier team that could have technically just been 5 dudes got to third place is pretty amazing, and it's the sort of thing I sell Dota as an esport to people on. Wasn't TNC from the open qualifier too?
EVO is basically one big open qualifier, I'm pretty sure.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Love Stole the Day posted:

:agreed:

Also in Starcraft, both the OSL and MSL the Courage series was an open qualifier each year. SC2's GSL as well is an open qualifier, although iirc in like 2012 they changed it so that they have tiers and relegations like in the big Football/soccer leagues around the world except the lowest tier begins with an open qualifier every year.
SC2 had a bunch of open qualifier LANs but no one really made it far out of them; people remember Scarlett at IPL4 but that tournament was so ridiculously stacked that she only made it to top 64 or something.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Craptacular! posted:

I wonder why YouTube doesn't throw some money at eSports given that they have tech giant money and are investing in content with stuff like Red exclusives etc. For some reason they see things like Rooster Teeth exclusives as worthy but throwing some money at sponsoring a tournament isn't.
They're chasing bigger prizes: your average LAN would get low six-figure views, whereas a lot of the YouTube exclusives would reach an order of magnitude more than that (and probably at a cheaper price, too).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
There's some vaguely entertaining tier 10 Dota going on right now: https://www.twitch.tv/dotastarladder_en

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The funniest part of this might be that someone wants to put Cancel on their team.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This is going to be like last year where the roster shuffle made a bunch of really weird and lovely-looking teams and then some team comes out of nowhere like OG and Wings did.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

schmitty9800 posted:

The distinctions are generally "1-5" "safelane carry/midlaner/offlaner/support/hard support".
I would wager that most players don't make a distinction between 4 and 5 (and most of the time in pubs there's only one support anyway), and are less familiar with the 1-5 system in general, so the safelane/mid/offlane/support categorization makes the most sense here.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

troofs posted:

When in doubt about Asian teams you could always just guess that one person's name is some number of ices.
Somewhere in China, there's a pubstar with the name iceiceiceice.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

alfheimwanderer posted:

about half the player population in this sample has a MMR of over 3200 - putting them above the 90th percentile of skill according to Valve. These results are in line with a previous analysis of OpenDota player profiles, suggesting that people who respond to these things / make their profiles public tend to have higher MMR.
That number is based on the unranked distribution and is several years old; it wouldn't surprise me if it included a bunch of inactive players even then, if lower-skilled players are more likely to quit and therefore the MMR distribution inflates somewhat over time, and if there's a correlation between unranked MMR and willingness to play ranked. Yes, there's some additional bias from higher MMR players being more likely to have public profiles and visible MMR, but that seems like a smaller component to me.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the median MMR of, say, people who've played a ranked match in the last 3 months is around 3200.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i just watched the ending to game 3 of mvp vs lgd forever young and HOLY FUUUUUCK LMAOOOOOOOOOO

must watch:

Ending of Game 3 - Part 1: https://clips.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit2/BrainyPoultryYouWHY
Ending of Game 3 - Part 2: https://clips.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit2/CrazyDolphinUncleNox
Ending of Game 3 - Part 3: https://clips.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit2/AggressiveShrewDAESuppy
Now that's what I call a game-winning Warlock ult.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Today we learned that, if you have Octarine on SD, and you cast Disruption on one of your own Disruption illusions, the game crashes.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kainser posted:

Well, never thought I'd see a game where aghs OD was the MVP.
The best part is that he only hit one person with each Sanity's Eclipse, but even making it 3v5 was enough to win the game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They're so young. Unfortunately I think at least for Dota 2 specifically, players are still too young and naive and now barely we may be able to have more public knowledge over these types of issues so we can avoid them in the future.
I'm sure it also doesn't help that they think about how precarious the whole "making money off playing video games" industry is and feel like they can't push too hard on people who are trying to give them money.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody does. it left no cultural footprint.
There was some viral social media thing going around a few months ago which asked whether you remembered a single line of dialogue from Avatar. I certainly don't.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Grant is talking about how smart coL is for dropping their items, but can't you just use the scoreboard view to scroll back to see item progressions?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Bless that little purge creep.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The Agh's Carapace just won them the game, I think.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
EE getting dunked on by noted star mid player... BabyKnight?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Centzon Totochtin posted:

plus constant undying rotations?
They practically trilaned mid, but still, it's weird to me that BabyKnight is on a real team.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I do not think Arcane Boots > Shadow Blade > Refresher was the Kunkka item build. Didn't matter, but I do not think that was the build.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm not sure how you'd actually accomplish a hard region lock. There are plenty of teams with members from multiple countries, and you don't really want to tell them they can't, or even that they have to be physically colocated to play in Valve events. coL and DC last year at least had American management, but random friendstacks in an open qualifier don't have management at all, and it'd kind of suck to force them all to camp out at someone's apartment to play an open qualifier.

Forcing a team to pick one region for the season seems like an easy fix, at least, but that doesn't stop teams from deciding they'd rather do the NA qualifiers than the EU ones.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
So much for that Na'vi/Secret game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

additionally: NA qualifiers have officially been made great again with the expulsion of EU
They haven't expelled Peru yet, though.

• Locked thread