Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks! I really dig the color and how it changes in light. Turbo lag seems non-existent during normal driving, but say I brake, get low to around 1k rpms, and lazily don't down shift it bogs hard up until 2500ish depending on the gear(6th is about 3000 maybe more).

Just a word of warning about bogging the engine. I'm sure you know what LSPI is but there's already been a few cases of the 2.3 in the Mustang suffering from it. Basically in 4th or higher gears don't mash on the gas under 2500 or so because you can load up the engine and boost a piston out the side of your block. The turbo on the Focus is slightly bigger but I'm guessing spool characteristics are pretty similar IE 20psi before 3k rpm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
As far as I know it's only happened on stock automatics because I guess the computer is too stupid to downshift but I feel like it's a good practice for any GDI turbo engine anyway.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't want to highjack the thread but yeah the 2.3 is a descendant of the Mazda. It's true that there's sort of always been a worry about LSPI but it's more of an issue now because of the twin scroll turbos they are using. These things spool pretty drat quick compared to older single scrolls. I think you really had to dog the poo poo out of the engine on a single scroll but with these twin scrolls you build boost so easily you need to be careful.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did Ford put any sense into their design of this car and actually use a decent Intercooler?

The intercooler on the Mustang is laughably lovely and is always recommended as the first mod along with a tune. Like 1 highway pull or whatever and it would heatsoak.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ford has said they were already pushing the AWD system but we won't actually know until someone blows up center diff or whatever this car has.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are you running with assists off? Ford's stability control (advance trac) is really good at keeping you from killing yourself but it's also fairly intrusive. I'm actually curious how the RS responds with it off if you haven't tried yet.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are you running 93 in your car? With the Mustangs depending on tune, bad gas or too hot of plugs can cause misfires. Pretty much everyone runs 1 step colder plugs regardless.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah, a lot of people like the Brisk 14s or the NGK 7s also. There seems to be some qc(loose caps) issues with the Densos but I've been running them for 6 months now with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's really funny to me. I'm sorry they are trying to bullshit you but that's really something.

• Locked thread