Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forge
Feb 26, 2006
Voice and Chat Here

https://www.albiononline.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl21oPOawM8 Latest Albion Video
https://albiononline.com/?ref=8SK35AUB9A USE THIS REFERRAL TO SIGN UP

Albion Online is a full loot PvP MMO which has undergone many changes. Most of the things you might read about in the past threads are either outdated or no longer hold true. For the first few weeks of each beta test you will find some of the best griefing in existence. In the past betas beyond this point the tryhards out skill the casuals and slowly forced players and fun out of the game. WIth the latest beta the tryhards area is separate from the casual and rep areas. It's hard to say how this will play out.

With the Royal Islands there are no GvG areas currently. This means it's a carebear wonderland for us to grief. Resources go up to T7 in these areas and anything above T4-T5 is yellow (pvp no loot drops), and T6-T7 red (full loot). The reputation system applies to these areas. The Outlands are the lawless areas which are considered black. This is full loot pvp all the time and no reputation is applied to these areas. GvG and other things happen in this area. Also known as the tryhards area. Resources in this area range from T5-T8 with lowest being T3 in small areas. The Outlands are bigger than the King and Queen islands combined. So this means there are now more black zones than any other type in the game.

Albion Online uses Fame and Learning Points as a way to skill up. This is basically a mixture of grinding (fame) like in WoW and time spent (LP) like in Eve. This means that you can be logged out and still make gains in the game without having to play. You also get the option to grind if that is your bread and butter. Unlike past betas where people will likely complain about how many hours you need to grind, things changed. You now get the option to use full LP to unlock any skill rather than having to grind 20% of the bar as fame. Another change as of late last beta after most goons quit was the unlock of tiers. In previous betas if you had equipped T7 armor, you needed to kill T7 mobs to exp. This is no longer the case and if you want to kill a million foxes you can do so. This opens up the entire game as to where you can choose to skill up. Before we were left to only a few heavily contested areas. I will not speak of the skill tree below. If you want information about that you should ask. Things continue to change and there is no point talking it in this post.

Albion Online consists of gathering resources, crafting, PvE, PvP, and GvG. You can spend many hours just gathering resources and transporting those to town if that's your thing. PvP can be done solo, this not just about a massive ball of death. Oatmeal became quite famous last beta killing many decent players 1vs2, 1vs3, and even some 1vs4 and mounts. The game is played best while in small groups, larger groups show up as red dots on the map. I do not know if this is currently still the case in the Royal Islands. No one will show up in the black areas no matter the size of PvP party in the Outlands. I expect the griefing to be spectacular with the addition of artifact weapons and armor with special skills during this beta. Add in the fact that most people will not understand how the reputation system works at first, we should expect many tears to be collected. In the past we have played as Space Violence and Girl Scout Cookies. There is no current plan for what shape or name the guild will take on at this time. It is likely that we will live on the Royal Islands and kill players using oddities of the rep system until something else takes shape.

Going red in albion means you are going to click the shield and drop all your rep and become hostile.

Understanding how rep works

When you are positive rep you can enter any area in the game. When you are negative rep you can still enter every area except cities. As denoted in the picture above. You lose access to all green and yellow cities when you are -250. You lose access to all red cities when you are -5,000. Thus you are banished to black areas. The docks in the royal islands are considered black and there will be a marketplace added there very soon. This will allow you to still get gear and get equipped in those areas.

I think we killed about 15 people while I was on last night and my rep at the lowest point was -110. The reason here is that if you kill other red players you actually get positive reputation. So you can work off the negative rep killing other reds. When you are -1 or lower rep you no longer get +rep for gathering or killing mobs. Not that you would want it because as soon as you flag you drop to -1 and suspicious.

Daily reputation recovery while "Suspicious" 300
Daily reputation recovery while "Infamous" 300
Daily reputation recovery while "Villainous"600
Daily reputation recovery while "Nefarious" 900
Daily reputation recovery while "Dreaded" 1200

The above are the daily passive rep you gain automatically to help work off bad rep. So if you are villainous you gain +600 rep a day until you are infamous. The system is now set up this way so that if you get "bad" rep you won't be exiled to black for more a week like previously. So at most

Flagging for PvP will reduce your reputation to -1 (Suspicious)

As discussed above as soon as you flag up you go to -1. You gain one rep every five minutes. This means if you flag up you are flagged for 5 minutes because it will take you at least 5 minutes to get 1 rep point to put you back at 0, at which point you can unflag as a hostile. You can kill a red if you can't wait five minutes.

You can no longer unflag for PvP while Suspicious

The biggest change is that you will show flagged in green zones but cannot attack other players.

Flag up and come kill tons of idiots with us on the Royal Islands. It's now a sea of blue because of the rep system.

Please enjoy some pictures from the past betas. There was a huge portion of great things which went on over the past betas. Sadly I can't find links or images of them all. Here are only a few of what I could gather on short notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5bXhgRWHRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOur7xu3j6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBKLZjqK6Z0

Voice and Chat Here

forge fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
my project will need all the guild bank silver ok guys?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hello Friends.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want this game to pull itself out of the nosedive into the shitheap.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Still more feature complete than star citizen.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I want this game to pull itself out of the nosedive into the shitheap.

me and forge will be delving into the shitheap to find out so you dont have to!!

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
So this game wants to be the new UO?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Looks that way. Me and Blazing are going to see how the rep system can be used to kill peons. At worst it looks like all that is needed is a alt to trade gear to your bad rep character. Not counting any weird stuff with spells that can be done. Which I would count on being there.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would offer to join in on this with you guys but I'm going to be "busy" for the next few weeks.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
This is going to be my best post ever.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

2DCAT posted:

This is going to be my best post ever.

you did it :dance:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Hello!

If you're confused about what Albion Online is, please refer to this handy TL;DR summary:

:frogsiren:Albion Online is a 5v5 MOBA timegated behind an almost laughably long grind that does everything possible to make you work as much as possible for as little fun as possible.:frogsiren:

Now the less TL;DR:

Albion Online was fun about a year ago, in the alpha. But a cancer riddled community and completely out of touch developers at :si: have ensured that any potential for fun in this game has been completely destroyed.

Sandbox Interactive developers, quite literally, have no idea how the mechanics in their game work, but don't tell them that, because if you post about it on their forums with evidence, they'll just ban you. Here is a good example of a lead developer having literally no conceptualization of how core mechanics work within his own game:

After friend goon Kimsemus pointed out he was wrong, friend goon Kimsemus was permabanned from posting on their forums and Korn followed up with this gem:

Whoops! :iiam:

Be careful about interacting with that community though, when you call out their favorite shills for their antics, you'll get in trouble!

I guess the furry forum moderator really didn't like me coming at his fanboy like I did:

And absolutely don't ever question the devs when it comes to design decisions in the designated forums for doing just that:

As for the game itself?

It's not an MMO in any way, shape or form. It qualifies as one only in the sense that you will be spending hours hitting X resource in the same area as everyone else.

Excited for those big PVP battles? :wooper:

Good news! They don't exist. The game has baked in mechanics that will ENSURE a solo or small handful of players can quite easily wipe your entire zerg out with virtually no effort whatsoever. The game actually PUNISHES you for having more than an arbitrary handful of friends in the same area through various mechanics.

Excited about defending guild territory? :wooper:

Too loving bad, you pleb! Because of the way territory defense works, guilds will only EVER send their a-team of their 5 best players into the pre-determined MOBA battles, as a loss means you could lose hundreds of hours of guild work! If you're lucky, you'll be slaving away funneling resources to players better than you. Quit your dreams of greatness now friends, GvG is only for the most hardcore and dedicated of poopsockers.

But there are no character classes! You are what you wear! :wooper:

Yeah, okay. If the grind for using ONE weapon and ONE type of armor doesn't make you want to kill yourself, it's a minor miracle. You're going to be spending a massive amount of time to cross train, and you're cockblocked by any mistake you make early because of Learning Points, the arbitrary timegate system :si: has implemented to extend the grind even further. :downsgun:

B-b-b-b-b but mah territory control! :wooper:

Yeah, unless you're a part of one of the major poopsock powerblocs (goons aren't FYI), you won't be owning poo poo. Oh, but don't forget, the best resources in the game are ONLY in the zones where you can own that said territory. Enjoy getting kited and bowed to death by one of the blatantly overpowered weapon combos in the game while desperately trying to gather that half stack of ore you need, which you'll just drop and lose anyway on death.

But losing gear on death is awesome and gives me a reason to PVP! :wooper:

Sure is! Except in a game where death could mean the loss of a significant amount of time and reasons, there also isn't any kind of anti-cheat whatsoever, which results in a coming together of known cheaters from other games coming to AO and just absolutely exploiting on and wrecking you :v:

Seriously, if you want open world sandbox PVP, go play EVE. This game is stacked poo poo, hamfisted by an amateur developer with no consistent design or mechanical vision whatsoever. In a sea of bad MMOs, Albion Online is a bad MMO even by that comparison. There is nothing fun or good or redeeming about this game whatsoever. Every alpha and every beta, the goon guild reforms, then drops off a cliff within a week because there is simply no reason to play this game. Do not under any circumstances waste your money. Learn from my mistakes, I was already dumb and wasted my money on this game for you.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 26, 2016

forge
Feb 26, 2006
that didn't take long.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
All of your info is still pretty much wrong btw. The game has changed since 2015, for better or worse is up to people to decide. But it doesn't take any time at all to get T6-7, and GvG defense is now open world. They also used our suggestion (hi round table) to lock specific areas into US, EU, RUS/Anzac. This means the territories can only ever be attacked for example during US prime.

But yeah this game is horrible.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

All of your info is still pretty much wrong btw. The game has changed since 2015, for better or worse is up to people to decide. But it doesn't take any time at all to get T6-7, and GvG defense is now open world. They also used our suggestion (hi round table) to lock specific areas into US, EU, RUS/Anzac. This means the territories can only ever be attacked for example during US prime.

But yeah this game is horrible.

Polished poo poo is still poo poo, and this poo poo was polished by a group of people who cant even explain how the stats on their own items are calculated. :v:

Also no, none of my information is wrong. I brought up fundamental design problems that they will never be able to fix.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wait so are neutral scout alts now going to be even more powerful due to the rep penalty associated with killing them?

Can you always have neutral alts come along to soak up any aoe and negative rep your targets?

What happens if you get a naked to suicide to an aoe (thereby turning your target negative) before killing a guy? Are you still penalized when you kill him?

Were they smart enough to not let a bug like "kill someone in a duel to reset reputation" through, like they did for flagging in the last iteration?

Can you hide on the other side of some zone transitions if you're negative reputation, allowing you to let prey zone in and immediately attack from behind?

I know you don't know the answers to these yet, just for future reference.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Also lol at Kim. Still playing.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Whats a picture about some other game have to do with AO?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

That same guy was caught exploiting on AO multiple times by multiple guilds with video evidence. I would link you to the threads on the AO forums, but uh... :si:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Games obviously horrible, obviously.

What about the rest of that stuff you posted. Did you even read the OP? If you did you would know that stuff changed.

You actually posted another previous post, then edited that poo poo onto the bottom. Got it!

forge fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 26, 2016

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

forge posted:

Isn't he running one of the mega guilds in AO, or did he step down?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure they imploded and the name is still around because what's great will be great forever. Last I heard they had a mass exodus and were now poo poo.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
My first serious post: I'm out this round, but if goons report favorably, I'll probably check it out come launch. I just can't do a 4th launch, followed by inevitable disappoint. Much like Tommy Wiseau, it would tear me apart.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I reinstalled :smith:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
After logging in to the testtesttest server I must say I really like the changes. Keep in mind that this poo poo could all be ruined by horrible other stuff.. but here are some interesting changes..

.2 .3 armor/weapons are gone and so are the mats.
Each item is broken in a boots catagory that you get to T4 in. Then you branch out to whatever type you want. None are .2 .3 anymore. If you want to wear heavy boots you just spec right into heavy. Wish I could show a picture of this. But its a huge change.
Start with enough LP to instantly get T5 in a weapon of choice.
All items for example ice staffs take T6 mats to make a T6. If you want the 1h its T6 mats, 2h with pryo T6, nothing special.
Mats are now just Cloth, Iron, Leather, Wood, Stone T1 to T8.
In the poo poo newb areas of no GVG you can get up to T7 mats. So unless you want to contest lawless GvG tryhard you basically have almost the best gear. Let me give you a example of the difference in stats between T7 and T8 bow for example.. T7 434dmg, T8 474dmg. That's as big of a gear gap you will now ever have between living in poo poo areas and tryhard zones.
Zones are completely redone and look all new.

The fact that I can get almost the best armor and gank people without having to go to GvG areas looks pretty good currently.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

#free-kimsemus

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Kimsemus posted:

That same guy was caught exploiting on AO multiple times by multiple guilds with video evidence. I would link you to the threads on the AO forums, but uh... :si:

lets not forget the sexism, bigotry and misogyny in the forums...

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I will admit the scamming in that game was superb...

oh the memories.

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
As much as dworf is a source of entertainment, apparently he took a ban hammer on the forums because of a discord scuffle. Who really knows for how long this is but really, over some dumb poo poo in discord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuf7VB8MG4

Good loving job SI.

FUKKEN fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

He's as insufferable as I ever imagined

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
So this game is still terrible?

Edit: Free Kimsemus

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 27, 2016

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Even though the game is probably not poo poo anymore.. I enjoyed this.. LOL

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i think i'm gonna go warbow again on Tootboots. just feels good.

Kimsemus posted:

SI is MEAN and AO is BAD! :argh::argh::argh:

you got a real bum rap but it's at least half your own fault for trying to participate with the AO community. that said,

Kimsemus posted:

Excited for those big PVP battles? :wooper:

Good news! They don't exist. The game has baked in mechanics that will ENSURE a solo or small handful of players can quite easily wipe your entire zerg out with virtually no effort whatsoever. The game actually PUNISHES you for having more than an arbitrary handful of friends in the same area through various mechanics.

so i guess that ENSURES a small group of goons could wipe out a zerg? sounds fun

Kimsemus posted:

Excited about defending guild territory? :wooper:

Too loving bad, you pleb! Because of the way territory defense works, guilds will only EVER send their a-team of their 5 best players into the pre-determined MOBA battles, as a loss means you could lose hundreds of hours of guild work! If you're lucky, you'll be slaving away funneling resources to players better than you. Quit your dreams of greatness now friends, GvG is only for the most hardcore and dedicated of poopsockers.

i was in 3 or 4 big guilds who were serious about GvG after GSC evaporated. none of them had this stupid pyramid scheme notion that the guild as a whole needed to fund the top guys for GvG. this was a flawed idea from the beginning. there's no reason GvGers can't poopsock their own gear.

Kimsemus posted:

But there are no character classes! You are what you wear!

Yeah, okay. If the grind for using ONE weapon and ONE type of armor doesn't make you want to kill yourself, it's a minor miracle. You're going to be spending a massive amount of time to cross train, and you're cockblocked by any mistake you make early because of Learning Points, the arbitrary timegate system has implemented to extend the grind even further.

this is how every single MMO works. it takes a long time to completely max out your character within one specialized role. it takes an extra long time to crosstrain. you sound like a real dummy.

Kimsemus posted:

B-b-b-b-b but mah territory control!

Yeah, unless you're a part of one of the major poopsock powerblocs (goons aren't FYI), you won't be owning poo poo. Oh, but don't forget, the best resources in the game are ONLY in the zones where you can own that said territory. Enjoy getting kited and bowed to death by one of the blatantly overpowered weapon combos in the game while desperately trying to gather that half stack of ore you need, which you'll just drop and lose anyway on death.

no point playing if you're not in one of the prestigious elite albion all-star guilds i guess. let's pack it up and go home. since we're all a bunch of loving idiots i guess we'll just settle for worst best.

Kimsemus posted:

But losing gear on death is awesome and gives me a reason to PVP!

Sure is! Except in a game where death could mean the loss of a significant amount of time and reasons, there also isn't any kind of anti-cheat whatsoever, which results in a coming together of known cheaters from other games coming to AO and just absolutely exploiting on and wrecking you

the best part is right after this you recommend people play Eve instead. also i pvped a bunch more than almost everyone else in this last beta and i didn't see anything that looked like cheating ever.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
For newcomers, I'll give some genuine advice
Play this for the first week of every wipe, use the forums between.
Play Shards after that.

Generally I'm the terrible MMO apologist but this is way beyond my tolerance for bullshit.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 27, 2016

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
man this game is really fun, too bad it's poo poo

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

please dont have fun. im not having fun so no one else is allowed :qq:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

what the gently caress is the bird doing in their banner image? are there even birds in the game? besides the livestock which don't count

Orv
May 4, 2011
If Far Cry 3 taught me anything it's that you don't gently caress with anything that looks like that bird.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

we are the birds, ruggan. flitting from one shiny bad game to the next~

makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

"haha yeah we don't discuss moderation decisions BUT-"

• Locked thread