Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
paging redwine/spooky/toaster come play albion online w/ us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
some idiot goon told me to buy this game like 4 months ago and I did

is anyone going to play it when they do their thing in a few days?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i know kimesumus says its bad but he also violated the fishing pact so...

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

hakimashou posted:

some idiot goon told me to buy this game like 4 months ago and I did

is anyone going to play it when they do their thing in a few days?

yes, a bunch of us in discord are going to play and see how it looks

forge
Feb 26, 2006
If your going to start playing this morning make your way to Kings Muster. We'll be gathering there, get in discord for more instructions for locations. Also don't go out and kill anyone yet. There are "reasons" for this.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

forge posted:

If your going to start playing this morning make your way to Kings Muster. We'll be gathering there, get in discord for more instructions for locations. Also don't go out and kill anyone yet. There are "reasons" for this.

Fishing pacts?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

i know kimesumus says its bad but he also violated the fishing pact so...

I will always make the sacrifice for the greater good. :toot: Just like I sacrificed $100 on this pile of poo poo to warn you of it's terribleness.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is the game less poo poo

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
a different consistency of poo poo

Texibus
May 18, 2008
What's the trip report on this poo poo show?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Day 1 always feels good.

I like Biomes they force you to move out. Like you have to go 5 maps out from where we are to get T3 trees. So you are going to have people running trees between locations, you also can't move using the NPC cart without being butt naked. So it's going to be ox runs. You'll run gear to both places farm what you want then ox it over if you want to do it all yourself.

Some subjective stuff just reading in game information:

Criminal system looks pretty punishing (can't even zone into green / yellow at certain levels) Why get a bad reputation for beating people up in yellow zones. Yellow is going to be pretty safe and anything you lose will be not worth it for the other player's time most likely. Yellow zones always sucked.

Zones are also massive now so you can't just charge corner to corner with a bubble, there is a real threat now of being in the middle of the zone and completely hosed if you get jumped.

They hosed up T3 ore, it spawns 10x too slow! whoops!

Dungeons feel nice and diverse with actual skills like knock back and the attack zones fill to show you the timer its really neat.

TLDR; I'm on a hype train that's going to crash next week; All a board!

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Sounds pretty good then (still on the fence about the criminal thing - disposable suicide ganking alts will probably be a yellow zone thing)

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eonwe posted:

is the game less poo poo

:eyepop:

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

they paid cdew to play it... feels like such a strange choice lol

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Pixelslol posted:

they paid cdew to play it... feels like such a strange choice lol

I had no idea who that was, so I looked at twitter. I noticed the Albion posts use the #Sponsored hastag, because #EthicsInVideoGameStreaming.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Probably an affordability thing, and a cost/audience thing

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How much larger are the zones? Didn't know that was a thing they were doing and quite like it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

How much larger are the zones? Didn't know that was a thing they were doing and quite like it.

They seem fairly bigger... maybe 1.5-2x? They also put a bunch more dungeons in.

Pixaal's assessment is pretty fair. There have also been a lot of good usability improvements, like shift clicking to move objects between inventories, and the ability to salvage multiple items at once. You can now also study items you crafted for a good return of fame, which is really going to help keep a bunch of the excess off the market. UI changes are good and welcome, but frankly bring the UI to a state most people expect in the year of our lord 2016.

The biomes are a nice change, if only to give the world a better feel. Could still use some improvement, though - they don't have things like mountain chokepoints and important roads that are well traveled that seem like they'd fit the game so well. It's still just a tiled mess of zones that look like an abstract painting or camo pattern on the world map.

IMO the best change has been the unlocking of all weapon types in a given tree at T4. Let's say you want a Polehammer - you get that right when you hit T4 instead of needing to grind through 4.0, 4.1, etc. Also, all medium armor is leather now, all heavy armor is plate, all light is cloth. The tree unlocks just feel a million times more natural than they did last beta, when everyone needed to read a thesis before they got it.

I'll second his comment that PvP penalties seem a little harsh, but let's be honest - that's probably good for player retention. Still, it makes red zones quite a bit less frightening. When I see people in red, I'm certainly not planning to flag up and attack them, because those who do are getting booted out of the area pretty quickly.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ruggan posted:

I'll second his comment that PvP penalties seem a little harsh, but let's be honest - that's probably good for player retention. Still, it makes red zones quite a bit less frightening. When I see people in red, I'm certainly not planning to flag up and attack them, because those who do are getting booted out of the area pretty quickly.

god forbid people are encouraged to pvp in a sandbox pvp game

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I just want mountains to punch and stuff to make for people...

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

god forbid people are encouraged to pvp in a sandbox pvp game

Apparently the ratio of "pvp" zones to not is going to be pretty good though

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sunber posted:

Apparently the ratio of "pvp" zones to not is going to be pretty good though

It is like 50%+ black and red.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
HAX

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have the cheapest pack so it looks like i cant play for another couple days.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Nice guild name. :toot:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the dumb discord info for the Goon group in this?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

What's the dumb discord info for the Goon group in this?

It's at the bottom of the OP

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
really though is the game better

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It was upgraded to cautiously optimistic.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Eonwe posted:

really though is the game better

yes. good enough? unsure

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
I spent over an hour trying to find tin and got 6. gently caress the dutch.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I paid for this months ago while drunk, forgot to install it, and it's been spamming my gmail. So is the general consensus this "FULL PVP GAEM" is actually now a giant carebear shitfest since there's zero reward for PvP and tons of safe zones and guild wars are still MOBA faggotry?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Haroshia posted:

I paid for this months ago while drunk, forgot to install it, and it's been spamming my gmail. So is the general consensus this "FULL PVP GAEM" is actually now a giant carebear shitfest since there's zero reward for PvP and tons of safe zones and guild wars are still MOBA faggotry?

We don't know yet, only day 1. You get to loot people so there's always been a reward and that hasn't changed. The rest of it, we'll report back when we know. Except for the GvG, we aren't cut out for that bullshit

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Ruggan posted:

We don't know yet, only day 1. You get to loot people so there's always been a reward and that hasn't changed. The rest of it, we'll report back when we know. Except for the GvG, we aren't cut out for that bullshit

How can you loot people if there's no incentive to go into PvP zones?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Haroshia posted:

There is incentive: better mats. Red zones and black zones are the only places you can get higher tier mats, and you can be full looted in both. Hellgates and certain dungeons too.

The real question mark is, is their rep system going to be unreasonably punitive and prevent fights from happening even in the red zones?

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Haroshia posted:

This will probably come as a shocker, but the same people who would have went into pvp zones.. Well they are. The people who never left the green last time probably may at least vendure this time into yellow/red because of the rep system. The rep system is a much better design for player retention and pushing people slowly to black. The non tryhard pvp players will probably play longer this beta since they won't be ground into dust as it's not possible with the current rep system.

I can't see how this is bad thing. If you want to die, just come to red. I almost died twice yesterday in red, and blazing and ruggan killed some idiot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Honestly if we are "living in black" why would it matter that we are banned for a week from red? Get a gank squad go into red on your main and get your main banned. Have an alt that moves stuff for you.

The punishment while pretty heavy of you can't even zone in for 7 whole days get hosed. Once properly geared you wont care anyway. It will make ganks rare enough that people will farm stuff pretty casually (and likely successfully) there is a cost for killing them (ban timer). Why kill someone over some trees. But you need that low level T3 refinedto make T6 refined, you need to get it up from the low level zones. There are going to be caravans worth raiding. At war with a guild? Maybe it's worth being banned for a month to murder their caravan. Maybe it's worth it to setup fake caravans to get characters banned so you can just run more ops.

It could add some interesting choices, it's a knob to turn I think it might be a bit extreme right now, but maybe not. Also the "kill 6 get banned" of them is at max rep, maybe its worth it to have some max rep alts as caravan guards, or ox riders. Neutral rep (which flagged takes you to instantly) is a a few dozen kills. Maybe they are too high, but we have no idea. The people getting kicked out right now though are completely hosed. The economy is barely at T4/5 they have nothing they can possibly do for days.

e: I realized this seemed way too glowing. The mid/late game have always been the problem and we aren't there yet. The beginning of the game and the potential for a good game are higher than ever. It's going to most likely end up in a flaming poo poo pile in 2-3 weeks like always.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 2, 2016

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

Ruggan posted:

There is incentive: better mats. Red zones and black zones are the only places you can get higher tier mats, and you can be full looted in both. Hellgates and certain dungeons too.

The real question mark is, is their rep system going to be unreasonably punitive and prevent fights from happening even in the red zones?

Doubt it, worst that happens is that you get booted to black lands on your pvp guy then have to run back if you die. Annoying? Yes I suppose so but it also means people will probably pay less attention in the red lands if there is less chance of getting ran over all the time.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Also the android app is a horrid piece of poo poo, best developers ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I kind of liked this game before, why not burn myself out again with goonfriends!?

no but seriously I'm hoppin in discord lets do this

• Locked thread