Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Hello!

If you're confused about what Albion Online is, please refer to this handy TL;DR summary:

:frogsiren:Albion Online is a 5v5 MOBA timegated behind an almost laughably long grind that does everything possible to make you work as much as possible for as little fun as possible.:frogsiren:

Now the less TL;DR:

Albion Online was fun about a year ago, in the alpha. But a cancer riddled community and completely out of touch developers at :si: have ensured that any potential for fun in this game has been completely destroyed.

Sandbox Interactive developers, quite literally, have no idea how the mechanics in their game work, but don't tell them that, because if you post about it on their forums with evidence, they'll just ban you. Here is a good example of a lead developer having literally no conceptualization of how core mechanics work within his own game:

After friend goon Kimsemus pointed out he was wrong, friend goon Kimsemus was permabanned from posting on their forums and Korn followed up with this gem:

Whoops! :iiam:

Be careful about interacting with that community though, when you call out their favorite shills for their antics, you'll get in trouble!

I guess the furry forum moderator really didn't like me coming at his fanboy like I did:

And absolutely don't ever question the devs when it comes to design decisions in the designated forums for doing just that:

As for the game itself?

It's not an MMO in any way, shape or form. It qualifies as one only in the sense that you will be spending hours hitting X resource in the same area as everyone else.

Excited for those big PVP battles? :wooper:

Good news! They don't exist. The game has baked in mechanics that will ENSURE a solo or small handful of players can quite easily wipe your entire zerg out with virtually no effort whatsoever. The game actually PUNISHES you for having more than an arbitrary handful of friends in the same area through various mechanics.

Excited about defending guild territory? :wooper:

Too loving bad, you pleb! Because of the way territory defense works, guilds will only EVER send their a-team of their 5 best players into the pre-determined MOBA battles, as a loss means you could lose hundreds of hours of guild work! If you're lucky, you'll be slaving away funneling resources to players better than you. Quit your dreams of greatness now friends, GvG is only for the most hardcore and dedicated of poopsockers.

But there are no character classes! You are what you wear! :wooper:

Yeah, okay. If the grind for using ONE weapon and ONE type of armor doesn't make you want to kill yourself, it's a minor miracle. You're going to be spending a massive amount of time to cross train, and you're cockblocked by any mistake you make early because of Learning Points, the arbitrary timegate system :si: has implemented to extend the grind even further. :downsgun:

B-b-b-b-b but mah territory control! :wooper:

Yeah, unless you're a part of one of the major poopsock powerblocs (goons aren't FYI), you won't be owning poo poo. Oh, but don't forget, the best resources in the game are ONLY in the zones where you can own that said territory. Enjoy getting kited and bowed to death by one of the blatantly overpowered weapon combos in the game while desperately trying to gather that half stack of ore you need, which you'll just drop and lose anyway on death.

But losing gear on death is awesome and gives me a reason to PVP! :wooper:

Sure is! Except in a game where death could mean the loss of a significant amount of time and reasons, there also isn't any kind of anti-cheat whatsoever, which results in a coming together of known cheaters from other games coming to AO and just absolutely exploiting on and wrecking you :v:

Seriously, if you want open world sandbox PVP, go play EVE. This game is stacked poo poo, hamfisted by an amateur developer with no consistent design or mechanical vision whatsoever. In a sea of bad MMOs, Albion Online is a bad MMO even by that comparison. There is nothing fun or good or redeeming about this game whatsoever. Every alpha and every beta, the goon guild reforms, then drops off a cliff within a week because there is simply no reason to play this game. Do not under any circumstances waste your money. Learn from my mistakes, I was already dumb and wasted my money on this game for you.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

All of your info is still pretty much wrong btw. The game has changed since 2015, for better or worse is up to people to decide. But it doesn't take any time at all to get T6-7, and GvG defense is now open world. They also used our suggestion (hi round table) to lock specific areas into US, EU, RUS/Anzac. This means the territories can only ever be attacked for example during US prime.

But yeah this game is horrible.

Polished poo poo is still poo poo, and this poo poo was polished by a group of people who cant even explain how the stats on their own items are calculated. :v:

Also no, none of my information is wrong. I brought up fundamental design problems that they will never be able to fix.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

Whats a picture about some other game have to do with AO?

That same guy was caught exploiting on AO multiple times by multiple guilds with video evidence. I would link you to the threads on the AO forums, but uh... :si:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

"haha yeah we don't discuss moderation decisions BUT-"

This company is the best thing ever.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

So I just learned that .2 .3 .whatever items are now just hidden and not on the destiny board with no explanation of what's needed to make them. I think I'll just delete this thread as a solution.

This is a good strategy, and nothing of value would have been lost.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah they added some email 'security' that you cant disable. it kicks in when you log in from a ip different to your last or maybe it keeps a list. im not sure

its less for your protection than it is for SI to be able to say 'well you gave access to your email to someone else :shrug:' before they ban you for account sharing. it does have the side benefit of letting you use your same terrible password that is being traded on the deep web for buttcoins. provided that your email is actually secure

speaking from experience: :agreed:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

i know kimesumus says its bad but he also violated the fishing pact so...

I will always make the sacrifice for the greater good. :toot: Just like I sacrificed $100 on this pile of poo poo to warn you of it's terribleness.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zephyrine posted:

Does this all still apply? I need a new goon MMO.

It still applies. I shilled this game like crazy before they destroyed it, so it's not like I'm going in with rose colored glasses. Dodgin (FireWhizzle) is the same way.

If you want to spend your money, feel free, you WILL get bored in a few weeks, and the goon guild (what's left of the population) will simply evaporate not long before or after that. Everything I said is true -- some people just can't accept Albion for the garbagedick poo poo it is. :toot:

So to answer your question: Albion is neither an MMO, nor for goons. Hope that helps.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
It's like Bercilak really does want to copy EVE in every way except the ways that make EVE a good game.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Suxpool posted:

kimsemus you should try to send them an apology email in an effort to get unbanned because this game is really pretty fun

"Dear :si: and Bercilak,

I am sorry your incompetent forum staff and grossly ill informed developers take it personally when someone else points out their obvious mistakes.

I am sorry that you banned my account for RMTing when I tried to switch from my company email to my private email, both with my real names that are identical. I guess that's the best way to solve a problem.

I am sorry that no one is going to play your game and you could never quite figure out what direction you wanted to go or how to effectively plan and execute a game development cycle.

Sincerely,

Kim"

I guess now I'll just wait until my account is turned back on. :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ruggan posted:

nice meltdown

thanks bby

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
At least SI is consistent in their design choices.

Consistently bad...but consistent. :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I can already see that much like the game, this thread is dying. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Next Beta: All combat is being changed into a quicktime event. If you lose the event your character is deleted.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

How to fix the game:
1) remove/reduce zerg damage reduction mechanic
2) entering in pvp combat (like getting hit) instantly dismounts you (without locking your skills)
2.5) make the zoning invulnerability buff last for 20 seconds, but movement changes the duration to 5 seconds left. Make the 'No shield' buff last 30 seconds. Still give them 10 seconds of movement speed.
3) you cannot hop onto your mount while in pvp combat.
3.5) apply gallop to roads only, no matter if you're in combat by a mob or not.
4) logging in does not give you a 30 second invulnerability and speed buff
5) fix zoning-altf4 logoff trick
6) cut the map size in half, trying to find people more than 2 zones outside of cities isn't worth it
7) rework the crime system such that:
a) criminals can work their reputation back up somehow once below the threshold of flagging
b) criminals can respawn in and enter red cities at any city, but can't do anything once in them (if they're the lowest reputation) (they can trade for gear, access their chest, the AH, but only public buildings.)
c) dying reduces your positive reputation by a certain %, such that you can't keep naked scouting flagged people and drop their reputation to nefarious in 5 minutes.
8) make t7 and t8 rare, but not predictably rare, make them completely random.
9) make slows from gear significantly more effective, so that a single person or a small group of people can actually catch someone, without forcing people into larger groups.
10) put more AoE into the game to disincentive (naturally) zerging
11) fix the zoom-out bugs/hacks/exploits that are obviously in the game. If I can go into cheat engine, modify one memory value, and see the entire map, there is a major issue. (just reduce render range to JUST outside of screen range, so even people who cheat only get half a second of faster information, rather than twice the range of the default camera)
12) remove player chat moderators. remove the blocked player limit. this is pretty self regulating. the only time people should intervene when poo poo is said that breaks the EULA and that already happens

that's it for now thanks for listening.

Some of these things people wanted over a year ago. Most of these ideas are bad but please :frogon:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

counterpoint: all of these ideas are good

counter counterpoint:

don't play albion :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
do you remember when I got banned for calling devs bad

something something something irony

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

for real though, you got banned cause they asked you to stop insulting staff and you didnt. but hey since gloating over the titanic will never not be the thing to do

:yeah:

I don't recall

just like :si: devs can't recall how their own game mechanics work. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

unfortunately stunt invited the worst of the worst of his eve friends to come play with us, it was widely regarded as a big mistake

eve people ruining another game

unprecedented

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

A perpetual beta wouldn't hamper a game with fun dynamics imo. What kills AO is that it's a needless grind with no payoff. The first two weeks are fun as hell. Then it feels like you're forced to grind skeltals for years on end (unless something major changed in the last testing period). If a game offered fun dynamics from the start of game until the end of game, people wouldn't care about wipes and say "welp, I don't feel like forcing myself to grind through yet another beta; i'm out guys!" The game lacks fun; it's going to be hard to fix that, without first acknowledging it. And no, adding gems back into the game isn't the answer to the 'fun' question.

I think even taking that out, the combat isn't fun.

The long GCD for what should otherwise be a twitch game and the relatively slow pace of everything because of the holdover from tablet ambitions make it kind of bullshit. Frankly, WoW is probably the only game that does the small team competitive PVP thing properly, and it's only now getting to a place where it's fun for everyone after years.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FireWhizzle posted:

Twitch game? Aren't the zones haphazardly hosted in random locations throughout earth's surface - or did we fix that

Perhaps I was being overly generous :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

i think that banning cheaters and fixing the client so screen resolution mods didnt work is a better idea but i understand the trump vote to spite hillary stance as well

the problem is both of those solutions would require actual competency in programming :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

the fact that they didn't fix this in alpha 1 is a huge gently caress up. it's such an easy fix in so many different ways.

Especially considering how widely reported zoom exploits were, among others.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

what is it this time?

when is :si: not being stupid?

:iiam:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

eonwe posted:

albion is hamstrung by the fact that basic design decisions were made around it being playable in tablets / mobile devices

4 abilities on an extremely long GCD makes for...riveting gameplay. :smuggo:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

is this a cryptic reference to Korn finally being fired due to being more useless than a hanging turd?

It is as the prophecy foretold. :wooper:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

BadLlama posted:

I await Green Knights apology about korn.

:same:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

Kimsemus you should put in a serious application and see if they respond. Then let them know you'll need a new account because you were banned.

They banned my game access 1 day after the Paypal 6 month chargeback window expired for "obvious RMTing" so while I appreciate it, SI can go burn in a dumpster fire just like their terrible game as far as I'm concerned. :wooper:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Suxpool posted:

everyone will stop playing after a month

I admire your optimism. :si:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

i am glad to see you have finally succumb to reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

at one point, this was a good game. we can argue when that point passed if you want but i dont think its that important

I had the most fun, strangely enough, just crafting hundreds of carrot soups to feed the goon base. Those were simple times.

• Locked thread