Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oh boy! Let wade into the poo poo storm again! I can't wait to kill some poo poo wolves.

Also I love how they are calling this "FINAL BETA" when there was always only going to be one, can't wait for "Gamma" or some other made up thing after beta before "release" or REAL FINAL BETA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

id rather use the stock pegasus than that hydra grenade thing

Can we have triangle horse again?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Shredder posted:

I was interested in checking this game out until I found this thread, thanks for keeping it real, now I'm going to go back to hoping no man's sky doesn't suck

Well the new beta starts Monday, so check back in about 3-4 weeks if you want to see if they actually fixed it somehow. The first 2-3 weeks are always pretty solid so judging from the thread before a month won't help you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ruggan posted:

I already know what this thread is gonna look like

Week 1: this is better, they actually fixed a lot
Week 2: this is fun, but here are some problems
Week 3: I'm still having fun but it's getting old
Week 4: are you guys still having fun?
Week 5: is anyone playing?
Week 6: game is poo poo

Most likely, but hey maybe just maybe they will pull it off. It's why I said check back. If goons are still having fun in a month or so the game might be better. You just need to get a feel for it because there are always a few crazy people who stick around smelling the poo poo and saying its perfume.

I fully expect the game to be terrible after a few weeks still, but maybe they'll surprise us.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Day 1 always feels good.

I like Biomes they force you to move out. Like you have to go 5 maps out from where we are to get T3 trees. So you are going to have people running trees between locations, you also can't move using the NPC cart without being butt naked. So it's going to be ox runs. You'll run gear to both places farm what you want then ox it over if you want to do it all yourself.

Some subjective stuff just reading in game information:

Criminal system looks pretty punishing (can't even zone into green / yellow at certain levels) Why get a bad reputation for beating people up in yellow zones. Yellow is going to be pretty safe and anything you lose will be not worth it for the other player's time most likely. Yellow zones always sucked.

Zones are also massive now so you can't just charge corner to corner with a bubble, there is a real threat now of being in the middle of the zone and completely hosed if you get jumped.

They hosed up T3 ore, it spawns 10x too slow! whoops!

Dungeons feel nice and diverse with actual skills like knock back and the attack zones fill to show you the timer its really neat.

TLDR; I'm on a hype train that's going to crash next week; All a board!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Honestly if we are "living in black" why would it matter that we are banned for a week from red? Get a gank squad go into red on your main and get your main banned. Have an alt that moves stuff for you.

The punishment while pretty heavy of you can't even zone in for 7 whole days get hosed. Once properly geared you wont care anyway. It will make ganks rare enough that people will farm stuff pretty casually (and likely successfully) there is a cost for killing them (ban timer). Why kill someone over some trees. But you need that low level T3 refinedto make T6 refined, you need to get it up from the low level zones. There are going to be caravans worth raiding. At war with a guild? Maybe it's worth being banned for a month to murder their caravan. Maybe it's worth it to setup fake caravans to get characters banned so you can just run more ops.

It could add some interesting choices, it's a knob to turn I think it might be a bit extreme right now, but maybe not. Also the "kill 6 get banned" of them is at max rep, maybe its worth it to have some max rep alts as caravan guards, or ox riders. Neutral rep (which flagged takes you to instantly) is a a few dozen kills. Maybe they are too high, but we have no idea. The people getting kicked out right now though are completely hosed. The economy is barely at T4/5 they have nothing they can possibly do for days.

e: I realized this seemed way too glowing. The mid/late game have always been the problem and we aren't there yet. The beginning of the game and the potential for a good game are higher than ever. It's going to most likely end up in a flaming poo poo pile in 2-3 weeks like always.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 2, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Day one strategy for those of us who spent way to much money on this game:

If you paid for the pack that gives you access on the very first day you should do nothing but farm silver for 24 hours and use it to buy as much gold as possible. I never saw gold go above 7 silver a piece the first day. By the end of the second day it was up to 22. It typically gets up to 50+ within a week or two. I bought a couple of thousand silver worth of gold the first day and once it gets back up to ~50 silver I am going to sell it for a huge return. It's too late to get in on it now, but this should go in the OP for release.

At launch people might be a bit more tight with their gold since it's real money equivalent and they wont get another reset of it. The price will go up sure, and likely much much higher since there will be F2P people wanting to have premium. But don't expect to get in as cheaply.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Please stop Green Knighting SI

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm interested because I watched those PvP videos of Forge and such just trolling a bridge and looting peoples stuff. It's top down, probably different skills but looks like a drat near full loot and griefing fun, much like UO.. just wanting to know whats good/bad about this?

Good early game is fun, bad feels incomplete and has several odd design choices. It will be f2p at launch probably not worth buying into beta. Oh and f2p is kind of more demo, you basically get double everything by subscribing. But you can do that with normal game currency too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ruggan posted:

SI is offering credit for refunds in the form of Best Buy geek squad service. Email kimsemus@sandbox-interactive.com for more info!

If I actually had free Geek Squad credit I'd use it to have them do silly things, like fix a massive virus infection on a DOS computer that plays Yankee Doodle. I'd go to my old job and ask if I could have the power supply that made sounds like a demon was being raped by Satan and shot sparks everywhere when you plugged it in. We had that thing in the recycle bin for 2 years and never called recycling since we couldn't throw out post stuff and it was like 3 items in the bin.

God that thing scared the gently caress out of me, I thought I was going to die when I plugged it in. I want Geek Squad to experience it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Release?!? Next beta already confirmed baby

Is this for real or joking? I wouldn't expect them to announced final for double real beta so soon.

I expected it just six months from now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

forge posted:

Basically you should stop playing AO when the first people get to T6. Simple rule of thumb. Up until then it's fun. I haven't logged in for something like a 2 weeks now? I can't even bring myself to do so. What a waste this game is.. so what's fun to play currently and what games are coming up soon?

hackmud is pretty fun. Make scripts hack pubbies take all their virtual money. It's a hacking MMO. If command line UI MMO where you can code scams and steal everything from someone that is offline isn't what you want I don't know what to tell you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

do you remember when I got banned for calling devs bad

something something something irony

Free this guy or don't

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AO could get plenty of cheap labor by letting you cash gold back out into real money at half or even 25% the rate. Plenty of idiots will gladly chop rocks for $0.50/hr. We can then kill them making $8/hr!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

cant vbelieve dodgin just explained the joke. wow

It's done, close thread

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

forge posted:

After the weekend meeting with the Devs I am 80% less triggered. Some interesting things on the horizon.

Double Ultimate Final Beta ETA somewhere around Jan-March?

World changes will make griefing probability go through the roof in some areas. If you plan to play the game for the first or second week of the next beta it's likely to produce many tears, ours included for playing another beta.

Nothing else I can report atm.

Sandbox is going to make Albion great again? So FINAL beta wasn't the final beta?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

One of the best things would be to sell AO to a more established company. Hell even a Korean MMO cash grab company could make something fun and playable with the assets.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pigbottom posted:

It's like they can't resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel over and over, instead of realizing that most of the people bought the game because they are simply looking for a modernized UO that works relatively well, and not because of "Oh how neat, MMMOBA! and I can do all that while in the bathroom taking a dump".

Tablet support is just awkward, I have a laptop if I really want to game while pooping, but I really don't. If I tried to PvP in this while pooping I'd end up not pooping. If I was crafting I could just AFK craft it on my desktop while I poop and browse the forums on my tablet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Player Vs Player pooping. The idea has potential.

Is it a speed race? Girth, length, weight? Or is it who can hold it there longest? Maybe foulest smell?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

2DCAT posted:

is this a cryptic reference to Korn finally being fired due to being more useless than a hanging turd?

Wait SI is firing the bad devs and actually working on the game?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Also... Maybe I'm just getting old, but... What's a ZvZ?

took me a bit at first too Zerg vs Zerg

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I had the most fun, strangely enough, just crafting hundreds of carrot soups to feed the goon base. Those were simple times.

Oh god land is dying quick run more food every 15 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Man. I played this in like... maybe 2015? Whenever the early beta started. My friends and I had an absolute blast and then they said the wipe was happening in like a month so we decided to wait. Then the wipe got pushed back by 3 months but that still felt pointless to continue grinding. Now it's 2017 and there's still gonna be another (two?) wipes before release. Arguably poor form for a game so heavily focused on progression and grinding, because I feel no desire to work towards it if it's gonna be wiped.

Is the march wipe the last one or will there be one more in july? If the former, I'll get in on it, otherwise looks like I'm waiting another six months to finally use this drat founder's pack.

When you change everything about the game you need to wipe because nothing is comparable. They still haven't nailed down core mechanics.

• Locked thread