Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Dely Apple posted:

-Wish someone would close your goddamn door!

Wait, you got a door? Like, to a room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Squalitude posted:

lol if you have to share a room with other people like it's the 1930s

What kind of horrible hospitals do they have in your country?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Squalitude posted:

Kaiser did not give me a celly. They merely gave me the ambience of endless beeps and boops.

They wouldn't close the door because they were jerks :colbert:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

lol if you have to share a room with other people like it's the 1930s

What kind of horrible hospitals do they have in your country?

My stay was on the "serious to the point they might die" ward, so there were no rooms, only curtains. It was set up like a wheel with the nurse's station right in the center where they could see to all the beds. I only remember one person dying while I was there, but I wasn't paying that much attention. I was a lovely patient for the first week, too - kept getting up and pulling out my IVs with the intent of going out for a smoke. They put me in a straitjacket for a while after that.

This was in the US, by the way. :patriot:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My stay was on the "serious to the point they might die" ward, so there were no rooms, only curtains. It was set up like a wheel with the nurse's station right in the center where they could see to all the beds. I only remember one person dying while I was there, but I wasn't paying that much attention. I was a lovely patient for the first week, too - kept getting up and pulling out my IVs with the intent of going out for a smoke. They put me in a straitjacket for a while after that.

This was in the US, by the way. :patriot:

I know they have shared rooms in the US, but I thought it was mostly a thing of the (recent) past. Also I know what you are talking about but I've only seen stuff like that in a pre/post op and ER area, I didn't know they kept long term patients there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In college I ended up in the ER. It was UConn's spring weekend (where the whole goddamn campus turns into a gigantic party), and I had gone pretty hard the two days before so I skipped the booze that day. Still went out and did a bunch of poo poo with my friends all day. I ended up getting kind of anxious at around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Well, it's like 9 and I break off because I'm not feeling myself. At all. I tried to go to the infirmary but was totally lost. Ended up finding an ambulance and asking for directions. They ended up transporting me, because they thought I was all hopped up on drugs. Kind of did the whole "Oh, whatever, it's an intox, he's just denying it because he thinks he'll get in trouble" type thing. My heart rate was way up and I was altered, but that's just drugs!

Nope, when I got to the ER they ended up finding out I was so dehydrated from the night before and the hot day that I was going into hypovolemic shock. Ended up with IV's in both arms and getting two and a half liters of saline.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Linux Pirate posted:

I know they have shared rooms in the US, but I thought it was mostly a thing of the (recent) past. Also I know what you are talking about but I've only seen stuff like that in a pre/post op and ER area, I didn't know they kept long term patients there.

He kinda answered your question, but shared rooms are definitely not normal in the US .

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I was born with super ventricular tachycardia. It fucks around with the electric pulses in your heart and messes with your rhythm. Just before my 3rd birthday, Mum noticed I was a bit down and got a doctor to check up on me, he apparently checked me a bit and got me to the hospital pronto. Apparently I wouldn't have survived to see the next day if he hadn't made that call. While I was there, they put some ink in my artery to track it which ended up collapsing the artery. Took pills for the next 12 years and was pretty much normal health wise until they operated to sort it out permanently - they gave me a valium, injected me with some feel good poo poo while I looked at a screen displaying my beating heart with wires inside it, burning away the bad bits. Was pretty trippy.

More recently I ended up hospitalised for 10 days in Osaka - something bit me in another country and I awoke one day to a massively swollen face and lacking the ability to stay awake for longer than 30 minutes. I'm still not entirely sure what it was due to my Japanese being non existent and their English not being so great, but I think it was something called rickettsia (sp?). Moral of this story: ALWAYS buy travel insurance. I paid about 300 for the insurance itself and 100 for the treatment and stay. If I was uninsured, I woulda paid 12,000 which would've ended the trip on a real sour note.

Stay healthy folks, hospitals are poo poo places to be.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I've been hospitalized many times, but unlike the OP I live in a country with decent medical and can walk in and out of the ER without ever seeing a bill.

Been hospitalized for:
head injury - fell 6 feet down a cement staircase, hit my head on the door hard enough to break the door, the frame and the handle

12th vertebrae compression fracture - was snowboarding, hit a service road and got 20+ feet of vertical air. I actually landed the jump but caught an edge and went right down on my tailbone

dart - in my ankle bone up to the hilt of the spike, I watched the beefy ER doctor strain with every muscle in his body trying to pull it out

also appendix - decided to go to the hospital when my body rejected water, just barely got it out in time

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

treiz01 posted:

also appendix - decided to go to the hospital when my body rejected water, just barely got it out in time

Huh?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

I was feeling sick so I went home instead of going for my walk. I had a big glass of water and within a minute, I was in the bathroom throwing it up until I dry heaved. If your body rejects water, something is loving WRONG. So off to the ER I went.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

This wasn't really long term, more like middle term - I was in for a little under a month. I think my recovery surprised the medical staff, but I have a family history of being ridiculously tough and resilient bastards.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

treiz01 posted:

dart - in my ankle bone up to the hilt of the spike, I watched the beefy ER doctor strain with every muscle in his body trying to pull it out

Am I dumb or did someone dart you in the ankle. If so, cmon man spill the beans and let us know - was it a regular dart like you'd get in the pub, or did some game hunter try to tranquilize you?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bill NYSE posted:

I had ~10ft of my colon removed, along with my appendix about two years ago.
Here is a photo of 26 staples holding my guts in my body.

drat, dawg. Did you get to keep your removed colon?

I was having some terrible, intermittent pains right above my abdomen and I thought it was just heartburn :downs: After a few days of slowly declining health, my roommate drove me to the emergency room. Turns out I had gallstones and if I had waited any longer I could have died. Had to stay a few days with no food and no water intake at all to get my system stabilized but I got a self administered morphine dispenser. My nutrients were replenished via a small tube into my heart, I think. Don't really remember. Had em removed and had about a week's worth of recovery. Then came the bills...

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

The Bananana posted:

Trip report: being unconscious kinda owns. It's like time travel. You close your eyes, and when you open them up its been like an hour or two.

Hot take: maybe death is just like this?

Almost exactly like that but without the waking up part

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had appendicitis almost two years ago. I woke up feeling like poo poo, and assumed I had a hangover. After 6 hours of the pain slowly creeping, my wife finally convinced me to go to the emergency room. We waited about two hours in the emergency room waiting room in Camden, NJ before they took me in. I saw several drunks and crackheads stumble in. One decided to walk in and just lay down on the floor. They nurse yelled at him for a while, put him in a wheelchair, and stuck him in the corner. After about an hour he got up and walked out.

I finally went in the back, and this is probably 2:00 PM or so on a Saturday. I was sitting there for a while (hours?), while they did blood pressure and basic stuff. I decided after a bit to tell my parents that I was in the hospital. Turns out my dad knows the head of gastroenterology at this hospital. He made a call and ten minutes later I had like 5 doctors surrounding me, some morphine, and was on my way for a PET scan.

Morphine is great. I still had pain, but I didn't give a poo poo anymore.

At the scan, they injected me with some poo poo that made the back of my throat taste like iodine, which is weird as hell. The scan found appendicitis. I was scheduled to have surgery at 11:00 PM.

Waiting for the surgery, I watched some hosed up poo poo. While I had my own room (curtained off area) to chill in, they were wheeling in messed up people and sticking them in the hallway. One guy was drunk or high or something, and this flaming male nurse was talking to him in really bad Spanish with a horrible American accent. Like Peggy Hill level poo poo. The guy yell, "NO MAS!" stood up, and slapped the nurse. He ripped out his IVs and left.

Later a kid came in on the chopper with a football injury, probably paralyzed. lovely.

I had my surgery, and hour later woke up wondering what they did with my underwear. I had it on when they put me to sleep. A nurse had it for me in a plastic bag.

Sometime around 4:00 am, a room became available for me. I slept for a bit. Ate some breakfast.

The nurse told me I couldn't leave until I peed. I said "but I don't have to go." She said "that's impossible. The IV gave you a lot of fluid. Well you better go or we are going to have to catheterize you."

I started chugging water and eventually peed. It was the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do.

So they sent me home. I managed to walk out of the hospital. Took one pain pill that night and that was it. In and out of the hospital in 25 hours.

I made it back to work later that week. Then the following Friday, I was pissing blood. All kinds of blood. Went back to the ER, where I was no longer pissing blood. They attributed it to trauma from the catheter during surgery. Dunno.

Bill was $32,000. Insurance cut it down to $16,000 ish. I paid $1500 because I have a lovely high deductible plan. Thanks Obama.

edit- Forgot about the Air Force medical student or whatever he was (teaching hospital) trying to take my blood. He couldn't hit a vein for his life. He started trying all of these other secret veins. He hosed up one in my bicep and I had a purple bicep for a few weeks. A phlebotomist came in and was like "what the gently caress was this guy doing" and got me tapped on the first shot.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 27, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

el dingo posted:

More recently I ended up hospitalised for 10 days in Osaka - something bit me in another country and I awoke one day to a massively swollen face and lacking the ability to stay awake for longer than 30 minutes. I'm still not entirely sure what it was due to my Japanese being non existent and their English not being so great, but I think it was something called rickettsia (sp?). Moral of this story: ALWAYS buy travel insurance. I paid about 300 for the insurance itself and 100 for the treatment and stay. If I was uninsured, I woulda paid 12,000 which would've ended the trip on a real sour note.

Stay healthy folks, hospitals are poo poo places to be.

Rickettsia are transmitted by flea or tick bites and cause spotted fever and typhus. It sucks that you had to spend so long in hospital. Did you go straight home afterwards or keep travelling?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

cyberia posted:

Rickettsia are transmitted by flea or tick bites and cause spotted fever and typhus. It sucks that you had to spend so long in hospital. Did you go straight home afterwards or keep travelling?

That would make sense, I stayed a night in a dodgy Thai hostel and woke up pretty itchy. I stayed in Japan another couple of weeks, managed to slice my foot open on a rock while shitfaced on a beach. Insurance had run out by that point so I just patched it up best I could and continued. Worked out fine

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure that should be serous fluid not "serious fluid".

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I got super pukes n' shits and went to a local, but new, hospital that was built in the town I was living in. Turns out eating raw vegetables, even if washed, carries the risk of some deadly bacteria. I was loaded up with liters of antibiotics in an IV, sometimes switched with electrolytes, and left alone in a bed in a room with 4-5 other people who all seemed to be dying of something. The guy next to me seemed to have TB and looked to weigh about 1/3 the normal weight of a guy his age and height.
I slept most of the night but up to pee twice, having to take out my own IV drip thing and hanging it up. In the morning they gave me coffee and some gruel and I went home to rest after I paid my bill and stopped at the pharmacist to get the ridiculous list of medicines the doctor put me on, most of which were antibiotics and anti-parasite pills. The hospital wasn't bad at all and the staff were pretty amused to see me there because I am white. There was no heating and it was the start of a cold winter, but the blanket they gave me was amazing and the heat of the fever helped too.

Total bill without any insurance whatsoever for the medicines, hospital bed, and transportation, was less than $70 USD. Their coffee was dank as gently caress and cost a dime a cup and when I went back for my follow up, which cost me $2, I got 3 cups of that coffee.

This was in India, by the way.

That was the only time in my life, except when I was born, that I have stayed in the hospital (so far).

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

el dingo posted:

Am I dumb or did someone dart you in the ankle. If so, cmon man spill the beans and let us know - was it a regular dart like you'd get in the pub, or did some game hunter try to tranquilize you?

It was a regular dart. I was 13 or 14 and on my first day of summer camp me and the other boys were bored so we started throwing darts at a broom we propped against the rough hewn wood of the cabin wall. I was standing between two bunk beds beside where they were throwing. This one kid who I remembered looked like harry potter wound up and threw with all his might. We all looked at the wall. No dart. It wasn't until I looked down that I saw it sticking out of my ankle that I freaked out.

I still have that dart.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ivor Biggun posted:

I'm pretty sure that should be serous fluid not "serious fluid".

huh that makes more sense

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

huh that makes more sense

There is also only one "s" in the word "pus." It was not a well-written note.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
When I was 14 I was hospitalized due to testicular pain. They said they weren't sure if it was torsion (which they said was "common for a boy his age") or orchiditis, so they started giving me antibiotics. They said if the swelling didn't subside in a couple of days they would do an "exploratory", and hoo boy I'd never been more scared shitless about the prospect of exploring anything than I was at that moment. Thank the gods, it turned out to be orchiditis.

The worst part of the experience was amazingly not the pain. No, on my second day there the doctor decided I was a gigantic rear end in a top hat or something, because he brought ALL the interns around to take a look. There was a cute young intern there who gazed at my pathetic junk with a look that I can only describe as extreme pity. Thanks, doc.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I had an adenoidectomy and I had to get glass removed from my foot because I was a dumbass kid who played football in the street without any shoes but never anything major. It's not all smooth sailing tho; I got the 'betus. :(

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

:siren:ATTENTION LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:siren:

I have been released from the hospital on my own recognizance, with a stronger prescription of Norco, and the understanding that I don't do any sit-ups or crunches (yeah doc, I need a doctors note telling me not to do crunches. idiot)

"God" bless all of you for your stories, support, and entertainment while I laid in the most expensive, least accommodating hotel room I've ever paid for, for 2 days.

namaste

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Got my wisdom teeth pulled, but apparently bled so much and couldn't stop bleeding properly that they chucked me into a hospital over night for observation. Whatever man it wasn't that necessary.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Bananana posted:

:siren:ATTENTION LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:siren:

I have been released from the hospital on my own recognizance, with a stronger prescription of Norco, and the understanding that I don't do any sit-ups or crunches (yeah doc, I need a doctors note telling me not to do crunches. idiot)

"God" bless all of you for your stories, support, and entertainment while I laid in the most expensive, least accommodating hotel room I've ever paid for, for 2 days.

namaste

Lol if you can even do a sit-up or a crunch at this point. Your abs will feel like they've been run over by a truck for about a week. Ditch the pills. Man up and take the pain.

Walk a lot or you won't poo poo. Like miles.

In 6-8 week start lifting heavy weights. It's good and cool.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

FogHelmut posted:

Walk a lot or you won't poo poo. Like miles.

And drink tons of water. And maybe take a stool softener.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently I had to stay at least a few days once because I had pneumonia when I was 2.

One time I should have been hospitalized, but didn't get to go to the hospital at all because holy poo poo money is a luxury. Long story short, I was at track practice the one time I finally got to play track after years of begging my parents to let me sign up (I think 5th grade?). Anyway, skipping to the good part, I got tripped while we had to run on this loose gravel "track" we practiced at, and I slid and rolled over at least once. I passed out for a short time, so I'm not sure. When I woke up, the majority of my skin was shredded up pretty deep on all sides. You name it, it was torn up. Except my face, thankfully. My clothes looked like I hulked the gently caress out. Like, I got torn up so bad that I couldn't even walk. When I finally got help, the coach tried to clean me up with some extra shorts he soaked in water. Also, the kids that didn't try to help me at all told the coach, and the coach didn't bother coming to help me or anything. Just kinda let me handle the what felt like forever to reach help myself.

There was a hospital within walking distance. You could see it towering over the trees. But when my dad got me, he decided gently caress that, we got peroxide at home! So I skipped the hospitalization, and was basically paralyzed the next day, but could walk normally again eventually. Took at least a month for all my skin to heal up. Anyway, that's my story about the value of a dollar, thanks for reading.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Kidney stone.

It feels like you really have to diarrhea but you have no butthole or mouth and the diarrhea is made of lava and double-sided porcupine quills that grow hotter and sharper every time you think you're adapting to the pain.

You vomit uncontrollably. Not because of nausea. Just because your body is like "No".

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Cut my toe off with a lawn mower

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Why?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Last May I had a sore throat. What in the end turned out to be just a strep throat. I developed flu like symptoms over the course of a couple of days. On day 3 my right arm started to become painful and then swell. I saw an emergency GP who wasn't sure what was going on but thought I needn't urgent hospital assessment. 12 days later I woke up in ICU. I had developed sepsis from the strep throat, gone into full blown septic shock, and developed compartment syndrome in my arm requiring fasciotomies. My arm was hosed, I'd lost 35lb in those 12 days and I spent a month in hospital then another 6 months in physio, all day every day learning how to use my arm and hand again.
It's still a bit hosed but apparently I was lucky not to die or lose my arm at the shoulder so I can't complain too much

Here's a :nms: pic of my arm when they removed the dressings for the first time for me to see.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I was in college I kept passing out randomly and ended up smacking my head on the corner of my bedpost so I had to go get stitches, and they asked me to stay overnight to monitor my heart or something to find out why it was happening. They never figured it out and it still happens sometimes but they said not to worry about it too much so :shrug:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jimlit posted:

at hopsital lost teo mote later

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Holy moly some of yall got some gross ailments up in this thread.

I've been lucky enough to have no major hospital stuff but last week my brother and I were playing dodgeball and he threw the ball and his arm snapped like a twig. Everyone on the court could hear it. Had to rush him to the ER and stay with him in the hospital for like 6 hours and he needed surgery today to put that poo poo back together.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
i somehow got pancreatitis when i was 8 years old and nearly died because they couldnt figure out wtf an 8 year old was doing with pancreatic problems. youngest case the hospital ever saw

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

i somehow got pancreatitis when i was 8 years old and nearly died because they couldnt figure out wtf an 8 year old was doing with pancreatic problems. youngest case the hospital ever saw

My time in ICU also led to pancreatitis. Not pleasant but luckily no lasting effects. Downside was when they did a endoscopy to check me out , due to having had so many opiates and anaesthetics during my period of critical illness, none of the sedatives used during the procedure worked. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i was born with a collapsed lung, so my first days on this planet were spent in the ICU with a tube running into my chest to keep me from suffocating. haven't been in the hospital since.

• Locked thread