Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone mentioned that "white" just means "dominant American culture" and that it's simply an expandable placeholder category for anyone in the ruling class that oscillates as a result of economic factors?

I say Indians will become white next thanks to their generally conservative politics. Who's your guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

When do you think the "ruling class" of America is going to oscillate?

Do you think the immanent loss of a white majority is going to change anything?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

Why would it lead to the expansion of whiteness, which is historically unprecedented, rather than the expansion of voter suppression and disenfranchisement, which does have historical backing?

I asked that as a real question and not a rhetorical challenge. I don't have any idea what the answer is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

Is that a rhetorical question or are you simply asking me?

Why do you think it is that "whiteness" is an expandable category for perceived economic success of a group?

No, I'm simply asking. I don't think I have a very good handle on some of the concepts involved. Also I wasn't saying that perceived success makes all/most members of a group white, but that whiteness can be a permeable boundary if one is enculturated in the right way and has the cash.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Having a landlord who literally steals 90% of what you work for makes working hard all the more important now doesn't it.

But why was leisure under feudal lords so different from unstructured time under capitalism?

• Locked thread