Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

This confusion also comes from a personal belief of mine about how American's celebrate cultures that are normally considered white like Germans, Irish, Italians, French, Polish (City I work has this huge Polish Community Center) We get specific about what white cultures we celebrate. St. Patrick's Day, Oktober Fest, Columbus Day(? I heard in some places thats treated as an Italian holiday) But if you just say you celebrate white culture people think Confederate flags and white hoods.

Someone smarter than me as well probably can give a more full description of how "Culture" Is defined for clarity sake.
whoah whoah whoah, let's not get too feisty here

When did the Slavs and southeners get to count as white? Next you'll be telling me that the asiatic finn is trying to claim whiteness

As for the Irish, please consult this handy chart:

JeffersonClay posted:

I can see you've never tasted pickled herring or experienced the joy of dancing round a may-pole. White Genocide is happening, friends!
I want to give Koreans honorary white status because they, too, eat fermented skate, though they do put kimchi on it as is their wont for everything, though it must be said that they never really managed to do the imperialism required to get into the club

Though maybe, just maybe OP, you might have problems trying to point out definite shared cultural elements when you're a nation of immigrants spanning almost half a continent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread