Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gobbagool posted:

No idea, and don't really care. His point about most students and their knowledge of slavery is correct though. There's a notion in primary education, that I'm only aware of because I have 2 kids in the system right now, that American Slavery was a unique evil, and somehow slavery never existed before it was invented in the southern colonies in the 1600s, or that American slavery was orders of magnitude worse than any type every practiced before. I'm sure i'm triggering half the crowd here.

It's pretty bad when you haven't managed to improve on the romans for a couple thousand years yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure "maybe the bible isn't historically accurate" is quite the same as "the holocaust didn't happen"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gobbagool posted:

Also, I'm hardly saying that everyone but me is uneducated, only the peculiar brand of d&d alt-history leftists that see everything through the lens of "amerikka bad" and think that slavery didn't exist before it did in NA. Its dumb, ahistorical, and not supported by fact.

Possibly people are aware that slavery, as a concept, did exist a long time ago, but are simply suspicious of people who like to point that out because it is, with remarkable preponderance, used as an apologetic?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dazzling Addar posted:

in my opinion, you should celebrate your culture. there's gotta be something good in there, right? such naked self-loathing is unbecoming and self-serving.

Entirely unironically I'm not sure there's anything I particularly like that we didn't nick off someone else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Puistokemisti posted:

I think the best way to define white culture would be contrast what values predominantly white countries have versus what values predominantly nonwhite countries have.

Hmmm, looks like white culture is democracy, civil/human rights, equality, law and order, prosperity, and not bombing your own people.

If you add (for the white and wealthy) after all of those then yes, true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gobbagool posted:

In the abstract, your freshman essay on everything wrong with white male americans is really compelling, but what are you comparing these items to? Point to me a culture, society, nation, hell even a large city, that you are using a barometer to measure "white culture" against

That a thing does not exist anywhere does not make the assertion that it does exist in one place any less incorrect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silence_kit posted:

HorseLord's sermon totally missed the point of the post he quoted, and actually maybe strengthened it by pointing out what would be classified as trivial injustices in "non-white" countries.

They are classified as trivial injustices in "white" countries as well, even regarded as virtues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Again, you are missing the point. The post you quoted was comparing "white" and "non-white" countries. LOL if you think that corruption in police departments is worse in Europe, America, etc. than in the rest of the world.

Corruption in the justice system is not called corruption in, say, the US, it is believed to be entirely good to have 1 in every 100 people in prison, and to imprison more people than the soviet union.

gobbagool posted:

cops shooting black people is classified as trivial injustice? wow, so BLM isn't getting any press and there havent been any riots, clearly the reality that we both live in. Also, Horselord isn't someone you want to white knight. I'm led to believe he crammed 9 creme eggs up his bum

I'm sure the black people who are inciting those riots and protests would be very happy to know that they're actually white and it was white people who decided it was a good idea for police to not shoot black people all along.

• Locked thread