Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

nthing awesome car. Congrats.

How hard would it be to convert something like that to electronic ignition? Is it 12V?

It's 6V, but Pertronix makes a kit for those anyway. That's a positive-ground car, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Valt posted:

To keep up on this thread what I found out was that the water pump was leaking out of its shaft. This is apparently somewhat common with these older water pumps. So I took the pump off and replaced it and while I was doing that I replaced the belt and flushed the radiator. When I put everything back together it started to overheat even while driving. So I removed the thermostat just to see if that would do anything. After removing the thermostat it runs just fine!

In other more exciting news I lowered the car. I cut two coils out of the front and installed 3" lowering blocks in the back. This brings the whole car down about 3", it makes a HUGE difference.

Could have trapped an air bubble in the system that you relieved when you removed the thermostat. I doubt it would have failed exactly at the same time as you had the system open, unless maybe it got jammed up from crud that you flushed out of the radiator.

Looks good low, I'd even go a little farther in the front. Looks like it's maybe half an inch higher in front?

• Locked thread