Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Welcome to Season 3 of the SA Beer Trade Fantasy Football League!

Formed out of a mutual love for min/maxing Fantasy Football lineups and collecting and drinking delicious (and rare) craft beer, this league combines two of the greatest hobbies in the world. Owners put up a $50 box of local craft beer as their entry fee, and at the conclusion of the season, boxes are shipped to a few lucky owners (overall winners, toilet bowl winners, top PF regular season) who get to drink their prizes and post cool pictures of their hauls.

After a successful first season, the league expanded to 16 teams for season two, and will return with a few possible rule tweaks for this season. More discussion to come on that front.

League Hall of Champions:
Season 1: umop apisdn
Season 2: Jota
Season 3: ????

This year's competitors:

Cervixalot
Avenged
Baldrash
HatfullofHollow
Catfish Noodlin
Retemnav
Railrod Terror
dphi
Spacejung
Jota
Zam
Broom
umop apisdn
Mikey Purp
Drunk Nerds

After getting my rear end kicked in Season 1, and having my dominant regular season team crushed in the semifinals of Season 2 by Avenged due to:

Jota posted:

Cervixalot got eliminated because an offensive lineman on the opposite side of a play forgot to report as eligible and it negated a Hightower touchdown.

Fantasy football is a hell of a game

I'm ready to get back at it. Good luck this season, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Love hurts.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Fancy football, y'all!
Torn ligaments ain't nuthin' but a thing

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
All aboard for football and beer!

Continuing the conversation from the previous thread, I'd prefer auction to snake for most of the reasons people described before: keeps people engaged, gives everyone fair crack at the best players, etc. The extra 20 minutes is well worth it; just start a draft at 7:30 instead of 8.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Baldrash posted:

All aboard for football and beer!

Continuing the conversation from the previous thread, I'd prefer auction to snake for most of the reasons people described before: keeps people engaged, gives everyone fair crack at the best players, etc. The extra 20 minutes is well worth it; just start a draft at 7:30 instead of 8.

In another league:

Me: We should do auction
My friend: That will take like 2 hours instead of 45 minutes!
Me: Yeah!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I guess I'd be okay with auction if everyone can make it to the draft since autodrafting in auction sounds like it doesn't work very well. The only other reservation I have is the different experience levels - talking to some friends that switched to auction style last year, the guys that had never done it before ended up with the worst teams since they didn't really understand the strategy as well.

I don't know, I still haven't had time to read up much on auction yet so maybe it's not that big of a deal. So far though I'd say the reasons against snake aren't that compelling to me, I don't feel the need to stay engaged when I'm not picking since I'm usually researching players/bye weeks/etc. between picks.

Can we just add a vote to the OP?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dphi posted:

The only other reservation I have is the different experience levels - talking to some friends that switched to auction style last year, the guys that had never done it before ended up with the worst teams since they didn't really understand the strategy as well.

This is my concern. I feel like it's good for the guys who are super into fantasy but for casuals like myself it seems like just another way to gently caress up your team.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is my concern. I feel like it's good for the guys who are super into fantasy but for casuals like myself it seems like just another way to gently caress up your team.

I'm in a heavily competitive auction league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. 3 of the last 9 years a rookie owner has won the title, despite having little or no auction experience. If you make a monthly expense budget for your real life, you have more than enough experience to do well

Either way, I'm happy. All of my other leagues are auction, so a draft league would be different in probably a good way.

When is the draft?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm in a heavily competitive auction league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. 3 of the last 9 years a rookie owner has won the title, despite having little or no auction experience.

There is no way a rookie with no fantasy experience is joining a league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. Your "rookies" are just fantasy pros that have never auctioned before.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I've never done an auction, I'm kind of ambivalent. How does it work in re: to missing the draft? It seems like every year I have a draft scheduled the same night as a preseason game, which I go to like an idiot.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

We had a couple of folks in my home league who were staunchly anti auction when we originally made the switch, and now the whole league swears by it. One of them won the league two years in a row despite being dragged kicking and screaming while raising some of the same concerns folks are expressing here.

Auction truly lets you build a team how you would like it - and you can have a crack at any player you'd like, which to me is one of the most fun parts of fantasy. Are you a Steelers fan, or do you just love watching Antonio Brown ball out? Unless you draw the straw that says 1.01, you're out of luck to own him in a Snake league. If you're willing to put in a bit of research before the draft (do an auction mock, make a cheat sheet or grab a beer sheet), it really ends up being a more fair way to draft for everyone IMO.

I'd be happy to share some general tips and guidelines to make everyone more comfortable with the format, but at the same time, I don't want to chase anyone away if it doesn't sound fun. I'll send out a poll soon to see what everyone thinks, but i promise you, a beer fueled auction draft is a blast.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

There is no way a rookie with no fantasy experience is joining a league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. Your "rookies" are just fantasy pros that have never auctioned before.

"rookie Owners" as in "owners who are new to the league." Owners are as good at auction as they are at snake, and new people don't really gently caress up their teams.

I understand the concern though, with all those numbers flying around an auction, it can feel like there are more ways to gently caress up your team. But actually, there are a lot less. In a snake draft I can blow my first two picks by grabbing horrible players and have to play catch up all year. But in auction, horrible players won't draw a lot of bidding, so I could make some horrible selections yet I'd still have like 98% of my budget left afterward.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 2, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

League poll time! Check your email inboxes for a link to a quick survey to help answer the auction/snake and IDP questions.

I've also asked for your SA name and your RL name/location to help me coordinate the shipping process at the end of the season.

Once we get some of these things settled, we'll start looking at dates to schedule the draft.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'll be an alternate if you need one for any reason. I'm not like a regular in the beer thread but I've posted a few times and I like to think I know what's good. :)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

coronaball posted:

I'll be an alternate if you need one for any reason. I'm not like a regular in the beer thread but I've posted a few times and I like to think I know what's good. :)

You're on the waitlist! I'll keep you posted if anyone drops out.

I sent out a final poll reminder - we have 12/16 responses. You have until Friday at 5:00 CT to fill in your response, then I'll close the poll and share the results. If you want to weigh in re: auction vs. snake and whether we should incorporate IDP, please do so as soon as you can.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

You're on the waitlist! I'll keep you posted if anyone drops out.

I sent out a final poll reminder - we have 12/16 responses. You have until Friday at 5:00 CT to fill in your response, then I'll close the poll and share the results. If you want to weigh in re: auction vs. snake and whether we should incorporate IDP, please do so as soon as you can.

Closing the poll in 2.5 hours... Don't forget to cast your vote for league and draft format!

Next up, scheduling the draft. Any other rules or we need to look at prior to getting the draft scheduled?

FAAB is a given, as far as I'm concerned.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Closing the poll in 2.5 hours... Don't forget to cast your vote for league and draft format!

Next up, scheduling the draft. Any other rules or we need to look at prior to getting the draft scheduled?

FAAB is a given, as far as I'm concerned.

Faab rules.
I may have voted twice by accident. Sorry!
I am quite excited to hear the finalized rules and format, and participate in this cool league no matter what the results

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 5, 2016

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Mondays and Wednesdays I'm pretty much open. Any other day might be a crapshoot though.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The polls are closed, and the votes are in!

Minus Drunk Nerds double vote, 13 teams voted, and here are the results:

Auction Draft: 8 Votes
Snake Draft: 5 Votes

Looks like we will be moving forward with an auction draft. More information to come on tips, strategies and some helpful resources for you all. Protip: if I'm not mistaken, Beer4theBeerGods includes auction values in his sheets.

IDP:

Yes: 2 Votes
No: 11 Votes

As such, we will be sticking with offensive players only.

I'll put together a Doodle poll or survey to get together a date. Any objections with setting a date in the next few weeks, or do folks prefer to wait until the preason games are mostly done?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

The polls are closed, and the votes are in!

Minus Drunk Nerds double vote, 13 teams voted, and here are the results:

Auction Draft: 8 Votes
Snake Draft: 5 Votes

Looks like we will be moving forward with an auction draft. More information to come on tips, strategies and some helpful resources for you all. Protip: if I'm not mistaken, Beer4theBeerGods includes auction values in his sheets.

IDP:

Yes: 2 Votes
No: 11 Votes

As such, we will be sticking with offensive players only.

I'll put together a Doodle poll or survey to get together a date. Any objections with setting a date in the next few weeks, or do folks prefer to wait until the preason games are mostly done?

If we are all available after preseason games are done, yeah that's preferable. But I understand there are logistics Involved that might make this impossible.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Emailed out a poll for draft time and time - check your inbox and fill out ASAP!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Poll results time. So with 13/16 league members having responded, here's where we landed.

If we're going by general availability, at least 50% of the league (8/16) are available on the following days:

Thursday (11/16)
Monday (10/16)
Wednesday (10/16)
Sunday Evening (9/16)
Sunday Afternoon (8/16)
Tuesday (8/16)

If we're going by preference of when people prefer the draft to be held:

Sunday Evening: 4 votes
Monday: 3 votes
Tuesday: 3 Votes
Thurs/Fri/Sat: 1 Vote

Taking those results into account, it looks like the top 3 options are Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday.

Before we narrow in on any one of those 3 windows, is there anyone who absolutely cannot make one of those dates and times?

Just a reminder, we're looking at a window of 7:00 PM ET - 12:00 AM ET for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. We should expect the auction to take 3-4 hours.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Also, a little promo to throw out there. Papes is starting up a new Goon Dynasty league with some neat rules (Superflex, Points per Carry, TE premium), and there are some spots still open if anyone is interested.

Come post in the thread if you would like to join, or if you're just curious about how the format, or dynasty leagues in general work.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785728

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Cervixalot posted:

Poll results time. So with 13/16 league members having responded, here's where we landed.

If we're going by general availability, at least 50% of the league (8/16) are available on the following days:

Thursday (11/16)
Monday (10/16)
Wednesday (10/16)
Sunday Evening (9/16)
Sunday Afternoon (8/16)
Tuesday (8/16)

If we're going by preference of when people prefer the draft to be held:

Sunday Evening: 4 votes
Monday: 3 votes
Tuesday: 3 Votes
Thurs/Fri/Sat: 1 Vote

Taking those results into account, it looks like the top 3 options are Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday.

Before we narrow in on any one of those 3 windows, is there anyone who absolutely cannot make one of those dates and times?

Just a reminder, we're looking at a window of 7:00 PM ET - 12:00 AM ET for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. We should expect the auction to take 3-4 hours.

Wait, so what specific dates are we talking about? I have a different Goon draft on Monday, the 22nd.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Wait, so what specific dates are we talking about? I have a different Goon draft on Monday, the 22nd.

No specific dates yet, just those windows of time. I suppose It'd be helpful if I sent out a poll w/some specific dates and times - I'll do that today.

Edit:
Done! Check your inboxes and weigh in. Thanks all!

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ah, ok. Any time during the week is good for me, except I will have family staying with me from the 26th through September 5th and my ability to draft during that time will be basically nil (I know, I'm sorry!).

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Sunday Evenings generally work best

Auction is better than snake draft, its fairer.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday are the only days that I definitely cannot make, so let me know if those are really the only possibilities and I'll give up my spot.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I could do Wednesday, the 24th. If my hard no on August 26th through September 5th is too hard to work around, I will also bow out.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday are the only days that I definitely cannot make, so let me know if those are really the only possibilities and I'll give up my spot.

OK, let's do this. Once people have had a chance to weigh on which week works best (my hunch is it will be next week or the following), I'll throw out a poll for every single day that week and we'll see what we come up with.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Instead of a poll just set up a google calendar and have people mark the days they definitely can't or don't want to do. Everything unmarked is fair game.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Instead of a poll just set up a google calendar and have people mark the days they definitely can't or don't want to do. Everything unmarked is fair game.

This is a great idea, and usually is the most elegant way to get something like this done. However, it doesn't work for larger leagues: It's quite likely there could be NO time when all 16 of us are available, so then the commish needs poll results to figure out "okay, well the most people can attend at such-and-such time, so we'll do that."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 12, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Whenever this person can do it, that's when I want to do it

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The maybe a more refined doodle would make sense. Instead of just full days, create a couple of 3 or 4 hour time slots for each day in a range of dates and let people fill out their availability that way. I.e. Monday August 15th from 5-9 and from 8-12 and so on and so forth.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Only times when I absolutely can't make a 7 PM EST or later time slot are August 2 (have an auction from 9-12 PM EST) and August 5th (auction from 6-9 EST).

Those are the only two windows I couldn't rearrange things to make happen

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

The maybe a more refined doodle would make sense. Instead of just full days, create a couple of 3 or 4 hour time slots for each day in a range of dates and let people fill out their availability that way. I.e. Monday August 15th from 5-9 and from 8-12 and so on and so forth.

Doodle is probably the best bet, good call. I was hoping the poll results would speak to me a bit more, but no dice. Coming soon.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Has anyone said "ISO fantasy... Can't you taste this gold," yet?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'll set up a Doodle poll to send out tonight so we can get this locked down. Sorry for the delay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Doodle poll sent - please fill out ASAP. Please double check the time zone (I think I set it to auto-adjust) to ensure that you are filling it out correctly.

• Locked thread