Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

It's only 143.7 billion years away at current speed!
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

according to the article its not actually empty at all its just an area that is 20% just less dense then surrounding areas but its called a "supervoid" i guess because scientists need those clicks to keep the science going

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

this is the best that i can do:

imo the static one looks better

I agree

e: thanks a bunch

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I agree

e: thanks a bunch

:tipshat: np

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Goatse finds a home. A goon success story.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Earwicker posted:

according to the article its not actually empty at all its just an area that is 20% just less dense then surrounding areas but its called a "supervoid" i guess because scientists need those clicks to keep the science going

It's not the scientists being misleading. Void is a term that's used but it's a relative term. There is hardly anything compared to the denser parts of the universe. If you find anything in an article about science misleading, it's the reporter/editor's fault. Scientists know their result is probably only 10% as cool as the press releases and articles make it out to be, but if you don't let them put their spin on it they won't find it exciting enough to write an article on it.

Basically don't believe anything in a press release, go read the paper(s) it is based on if you want the real story.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Hatebag posted:

It's only 143.7 billion years away at current speed!

So we'll get there about 130 billion years after the heat death of the universe. I can't wait!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hogge Wild posted:

this is the best that i can do:

imo the static one looks better

It's mesmerizing :O

e: When I read the quote from the article I thought of an early scene from the Fifth Element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Je0aVprj-I&feature=youtu.be&t=748

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 27, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

It's mesmerizing :O

the 400kb version is truly hypnotic, but too large to be an av.
For security reasons i suppose.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
its all of our mother's cunts combined, pulling us back to where we came from

why is it so hard to understand science nerds

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
It's where God stashes his weed

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

You mean we're an arbitrary distance from an arbitrary point in space and moving towards it at an arbitrary rate? :wth:

E: I read the article and it's a lot cooler than the OP makes it seem. We're not being "sucked into" it I don't know where you got that idea you fuckman.

Gamer With Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 27, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
good, I am glad of this

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

has anyone made a joke about op's mom yet?

so we're getting sucked into your mom op? :grin:

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
The massive structure is another particle.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
The void is where we all belong

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

All my life I've been praying not to live long enough to be sucked into an unknowable void in the universe by a powerful unseen force.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

All my life I've been praying not to live long enough to be sucked into an unknowable void in the universe by a powerful unseen force.

you and i couldnt be more different

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

OP you are citing a lovely news filler article that cites old gently caressing news.

The Great Attractor (and us) are being pulled towards the Shapley Supercluster which is a concentration of galaxies that makes the Great Attractor look like a ship in a bottle versus a BP supertanker of death.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Power went out last night and I looked at the stars lamenting I was born to explore dank memes and nothing else :smith:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Big Beef City posted:

Awww. There are also upsides to having a girlfriend.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Needs to pull us in faster so I can die lol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Binary Badger posted:

OP you are citing a lovely news filler article that cites old gently caressing news.

The Great Attractor (and us) are being pulled towards the Shapley Supercluster which is a concentration of galaxies that makes the Great Attractor look like a ship in a bottle versus a BP supertanker of death.

so long run all these super clusters eventually become black holes right? gravity should eventually win, right?

is it possible under GR to maintain orbit perpetually in an expanding spacetime?

furthermore suck my dick you gently caress man

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

reallivedinosaur posted:

so long run all these super clusters eventually become black holes right? gravity should eventually win, right?

is it possible under GR to maintain orbit perpetually in an expanding spacetime?

furthermore suck my dick you gently caress man

uh, yeah. expanding space time aint got poo poo on gravity (on the scale of galactic clusters)

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Germstore posted:

uh, yeah. expanding space time aint got poo poo on gravity (on the scale of galactic clusters)

but like say you just got two bodies orbiting

would the fact that spacetime is expanding be enough to make it impossible for that orbit to last forever?

thats what i want to know. the universe will end up as a handful of super-mega-massive black holes flying away from each other infinitely fast

this is my new theory i just came up with while eating lunch and shitposting, will probably revolutionize physics and cosmology if they legalize weed everywhere

some poo poo head like leanord susskind will prob punk my ideas and say he thought it up

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This fits in. quite well with my hollow universe theory. This void is the center and the universe is expanding inwards towards it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the vedas were right

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

reallivedinosaur posted:

would the fact that spacetime is expanding be enough to make it impossible for that orbit to last forever?

thats what i want to know. the universe will end up as a handful of super-mega-massive black holes flying away from each other infinitely fast

this is my new theory i just came up with while eating lunch and shitposting, will probably revolutionize physics and cosmology if they legalize weed everywhere

some poo poo head like leanord susskind will prob punk my ideas and say he thought it up

No, the expanding spacetime wouldn't matter to orbits. By the way while the last structures in the universe will be black holes even they will evaporate eventually due to hawking radiation.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

eventually entropy will increase to the point that bonds between atoms can't even be maintained and we'll be a universe of atomic dust and echoes

Germstore posted:

No, the expanding spacetime wouldn't matter to orbits

on a long enough timeline it does

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

No it doesn't- I don't think. e: wait, I'm wrong. You're right.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

eventually entropy will increase to the point that bonds between atoms can't even be maintained and we'll be a universe of atomic dust and echoes

I know it doesn't really matter, but I was really hoping we'd have a big crunch :(.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
it would have to

dark energy is still a force acting on the system

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ages_of_the_Universe

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
ya a bunch of blackholes that evaporate

they already stole my research and i havent even finished smoking this bowl!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
to be fair it's a reeeeaaaaally long timeline

skeletonotherkin posted:

I know it doesn't really matter, but I was really hoping we'd have a big crunch :(.

it'd be really elegant if the universe was constantly big banging, expanding, then eventually collapsing back to a singularity yeah

oh well

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it would be also cool if after the heat death of the universe there's some weird quantum thing that makes another big bang

i'd like to title this theory the 'Maybe Something Quantum' proposal

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Moridin920 posted:

to be fair it's a reeeeaaaaally long timeline

it'd be really elegant if the universe was constantly big banging, expanding, then eventually collapsing back to a singularity yeah

oh well

theres always another causal patch somewhere that is starting off as its own big bang, so that is still sort of happening

according to laurence kraus, annoying internet atheist and science man

naem
May 29, 2011

What if black holes are just sucking in energy and matter and there's another dimension where it's being spit back out and that's what stars are???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

naem posted:

What if black holes are just sucking in energy and matter and there's another dimension where it's being spit back out and that's what stars are???

We already know how stars form for the most part and it's most certainly not that.

• Locked thread