Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
On PSN, it's Needle Boy and Salt Boy from Super Meat Boy, for beating the Hospital and Salt Factory worlds without dying. Both are 0.1%

My rarest trophy on Steam according to my profile is 1.2% for beating VVVVVV with less than 250 deaths. I would have thought that'd be much more common - 250 deaths is a lot of breathing room for gently caress-ups.

Unguided posted:

Sometimes I go into global achievements and look at how rare the storyline achievements are just to see where people tend to quit

I also do this. I love that we have all these cool stats to look at in our games now; I always check what percentage of people got the standard "beat the game" trophy, you can see in the Souls games how many people go out of their way to kill optional bosses, etc.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Benny D posted:

About six months after bloodborne came out it was really neat to be able to see where peope gave up. It was pretty steady up to byrgenwerth but dropped off sharply at rom & again at shadows

The first time I got to Rom it seriously killed my desire to play Bloodborne for like a week, so I can understand that

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

goferchan posted:

Let me be the first to give props to this gamer. that's some real poo poo and I'll never be able to do it

Hospital and Salt Factory (and the Woods) aren't that bad, especially since you can do the levels in any order so you can knock out the 2-3 really hard ones first then run through the easy first half of the Hospital or the simpler Salt Factory levels.

I haven't gotten any of the other no-death trophies past those b/c it's way too hard, especially those Hell levels with the flying bat things. Those might as well be luck based.

edit: and yeah, being a PS+ game definitely skews some games' trophy rarities. I think only like 6% of people have even gotten the normal, you-dont-have-to-beat-every-level ending for Super Meat Boy.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 30, 2016

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

this is by the triple town guys (good game). i remember hearing about this game before it came out but then it fell off the face of the earth. will try it out whenever the next steam sale comes

i strongly suspect that somewhere around 0.4-0.8% of smb players used an achievement unlocker.

Considering 0.9% of Steam players have gotten the "beat Dark Cotton Alley without dying" achievement, I'd say 0.8% is just about right.

I think there's only a couple hundred people on Earth who've legitimately no-deathed EVERY world in SMB.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Double-posting to talk about what makes a "good" rare achievement. I think it definitely has to be some kind of action, something insanely tough within the game that requires practice. It can't just be a "collect every single widget in the game" trophy, even though lots of those are super rare (hello, Last of Us). It also has to be something concrete that isn't glitchy. Lots of games with "beat the game w/out killing anyone" trophies are like that - I legitimately beat Dishonored using only non-lethal poo poo, but because someone fell down a set of stairs and got eaten by a mutant rat somewhere that I didn't notice, I didn't get the trophy. Lastly, it can't be multiplayer-based: not because I'm biased against multiplayer, but every super-rare multiplayer trophy just ends up with people meeting online to 'boost' the trophy, so instead of people actually playing the game there's a meaningful contingent of people just grinding trophies and not having fun.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Soral posted:

i'm more impressed by people beating dark souls on ng+++ to get the achievement for collecting every weapon than i am with somebody who beat desus ex or whatever using only the knockout gun instead of the otherwise identical murder pistol. but ok dude.

Dark Souls is the exception that proves the rule: getting all the spells or rings takes a crazy amount of effort and dedication. I'm talking about the lovely "collect all 107 audio logs/dog tags/special graffiti we stuck all over the place" trophies that every game has now, regardless of whether or not it's the kind of game that rewards exploration. Those suck and the reason they're so rare is because most people don't want to deal with that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Aston posted:

I was inspired by this thread to get Needle Boy, so, that.

:yeah:

• Locked thread