Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i got a dyson ball a few months ago bc my gf insisted on it (:rolleyes:) so hopefully it doesn't turn to poo poo in a year bc that thing was not cheap for a vacuum cleaner

at least it wasn't anywhere near $4k though lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I almost got roped into working for those Rainbow guys. Was broke and needed a job bad so I attended their 2 hour demo, red flags went off in my head when they told me I was hired without making me sign an I-9 form or presenting any sort of identification and never came back

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Iron Prince posted:

dirt devil or bust baby

yeah those are cool too. anything with the devil is cool.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

quote:

I was at a bridal show and signed up to win an air cleaner. I was contacted that I won the air cleaner then was asked for an appointment to show me a vacuum cleaner. I was given the same pitch that I had in the old days when I purchased a Kirby Vacuum in the 1980s. It sat in my closet for years until I threw it away. This Rainbow was $2,500 and I am stuck paying $75 per month until I pay it off. I have used the vacuum once. It is difficult to use and all the parts are too many and no one understands how to use this machine. Please don't be a sucker like me. Read these reviews before buying one of these.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I already had an overpriced vacuum cleaner that I never used and then I bought another one which I regret!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I put my schlong in a vacuum once and dont understand the appeal. Never did it again. Didn't even boner.

Don't do this, guys have done it and had the skin sucked right off their dicks.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I bought a $3000 vacuum cleaner and now I am being sued:

quote:

te, WI on July 15, 2014
Satisfaction Rating
I was at a health and safety fair in October 2013 and the Rain Mate was being displayed with a chance to win. I signed up as my family suffers from allergies/asthma so I thought that is pretty cool. Well, I "won". Pretty sure everyone wins. So they schedule my FREE demo. The salesman came into our home for about 3-4 hours and talked about the Rainbow Reimbursement Incentive Program. I felt it was too risky that you have to schedule 11 demos and then after that 11th demo someone has to BUY one. I told him that was too risky for me so he changed our program to be 15 qualified demos. I thought I could likely do that. He also told us he would be willing to help us cause he really wants us to have this and we could help his wife at home shows and those referrals would go to us.

I told him that we financially just weren't comfortable that in 6-12 months it might work better for us. He told us that we couldn't have another demo for another 2-3 years and we would have to pay $2900 instead of $2400 for our vacuum trade. We asked him if we could cancel and he said, "no, unfortunately you can't". (However, I guess we have a 3 day cancellation policy that I didn't know) and I wasn't sure applied since he told us we couldn't. He just kept pushing the incentive program and he would help us. So beyond my better judgment we did it.

Our salesman moved to Florida two weeks later. We emailed him early December 2013 to find out who we should contact regarding scheduling our demos. He gave us a name and phone number. We called that number almost every day/week a couple times, left messages from January - April 2014. I talked to a woman by the name of Danielle and gave her 2 names on my list which she called one referral once and never again. I got the secretary one time and she said, "yes we have received all of your messages and have submitted them to the owners, they will contact you". They never did!

In April 2014, we are being sued in small claims court and we were found in breach of contract because we didn't supply 15 names and contact information to the company. Even though I didn't have anyone to give it to.

Do not welcome them into your home unless you are willing to pay the full price. Don't count on the incentive program or any other information. Our salesman also offered a free week at a condo in Florida. (Can't imagine what would have happened if we would have done that).

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
Way back around 2002 or so, I used to sell Kirby vacuums. It honestly wasn't that bad a job if you weren't a total scumbag. I would pay $1000 for the vacuum (later 750 as I moved up the ladder) (sounds like they charge a bit more now or salespeople are just greedy) so anything I sold it above that was pretty much pure profit. Every 3 I sold a week would net a $250 bonus from my boss, so it actually worked out pretty well for a guy in the midwest. I ended up getting a free one at our xmas party the first year, and kept it all the way until 2014 when I got the Shark Navigator which no joke is probably the best vacuum on the planet for the money.

The next year wasn't so great for us though... mostly because my bosses wife had her kids kill him for the insurance money.

"CROWN POINT | The wife of murdered Merrillville businessman John Parker Jr. first tried lacing his food with an illicit drug. All he got was what he thought was food poisoning.
Judy Parker also tried to hire hit men, but they either got cold feet or simply took the money and ran.
Finally, the 40-year-old woman recruited two of her own children to kill their stepfather. She succeeded April 17, 2003, when her son, Daniel Lee Hicks, shot the 33-year-old Merrillville businessman in the back of the head in an ambush outside J&J Parker Industries, 8892 Louisiana St. in Merrillville, a corporate sales and service operator for Kirby Vacuum Corp., where he trained sales people."

https://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com...ill-him-failed/

edit: There was a chain of command structure at Kirby that I just remembered. If you were absolute bottom of the barrel and had no crew working under you at all, I believe the vacuums cost like $1250 or something, I can't remember, so that was the price point those salesmen had to hit to make a successful sale.

warcraft_boyfriend_99 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 28, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Homer J. Fong posted:

quote:

An ex-friend, who is my neighbor, begged me continually to have the salesperson come over and do a demo. After cleaning my house extensively, the neighbor, the salesman and another man enter my home. I only said A salesman can come over... unsettling feeling begins. They start the Demo with checking out and commenting on the things in my home. He called me "HONEY" too and was quite flamboyant! (No ONE calls me HONEY!)

Then of course turning to my husband faking they know something about his career. (CLUELESS) They talk fast for a reason. They are diverting your attention as the insert dirt packs in the hoses and nozzles. My husband pulled it out during the "Demo". The neighbor was in on the "demo" too. As she was rambling nervously and saying hurry up I have to go to church. Don't talk during the "Demo", talking over me as I am talking to my husband and when I went outside THE SALESMAN was talking loudly in front of my home about how nasty my house was.

I walked outside, lit my cigarette. My neighbor reminds me how she HAS TO go to church. I told them it was a no go as my neighbor is burning in hell in my house apparently, and I had other Adult plans in my future. Commented on his Lexus and he said it was his third. I asked "Did you wreck the previous two?" Matter of fact, yes! I said "Well, you need to learn how to take CARE OF the things you work hard for!" He packed up and commenced to say negative things outside of my home, at which point, I closed and locked my door. I called my neighbor and she laughed. I said... "This isn't a joke... When you decide to wear your big girl panties, CALL ME! DO NOT LET THE HUSBAND WIFE ACT IN YOUR HOME! He was pushy and casing my home!

What does this person suffer from ?

e: My husband pulled it out during the "Demo"

wat

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 28, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

unpacked robinhood posted:

What does this person suffer from ?

e: My husband pulled it out during the "Demo"

wat

She's saying that the salesmen put some sort of dirt packs in the nozzles to make it appear that the vacuums were picking up more than they actually were and that her husband pulled whatever it was out of the nozzle. It's all pretty clear if you read it in a boisterous black lady voice.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BigBadSteve posted:

Don't do this, guys have done it and had the skin sucked right off their dicks.

I didn't realise a dick could be degloved :captainpop:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why the gently caress would you ever buy a vacuum over $100

Does it do conference calls or have VR capability as well for that $3K?

If you're that stupid to buy a $3K vacuum maybe just buy a large plastic sheet you can cover all your stuff with while you drag all your poo poo all over the place

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
If your vacuums are losing suction try actually cleaning the hoses out for once you animals

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see how a vacuum can lose suction if you replace the filter sometimes.
There's a fan somewhere that wears out ?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I paid ~20$ for my vacuum cleaner(it was on sale), is the Kirby any better? I like my vacuum and it served me well over the years.

Also, you can totally stick your dick into a vacuum cleaner. There should be a fan somewhere inside the tube, which is what's chopping people's dick off in all those horror stories. To get around that problem take a pencil about the same length as your erected(!) dick and insert it into the VC tube, if you don't hit a fan your are fine to put you dick inside. Have fun! :)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when i was growing up my house had a central vacuum system running through it so you just plug a big hose into the vacuum socket and it worked - no spinning blades or anything to worry about. suction wasn't insane so my dick wasn't gonna get degloved either.

just didn't feel good.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Hell, vacuums themselves are scams... you don't need one if you just clean up after yourself with a rag every day

simple
Apr 11, 2007
A vacuum cleaner salesman tried to scam me the other day. When I opened the door he burst in and threw a bag of dirt all over my floor and proclaimed "If my vacuum cleaner can't suck up all this filth, I will eat the dirt with a spoon!"

I turned around and started walking towards my kitchen, to which he asked "Where are you going?"

I said "I am going to get a spoon. I didn't pay my electric bill and my power has been shut off."

simple fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 28, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VectorSigma posted:

seriously just get an oreck and call it a day

you'd best check yourself before you oreck yourself

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My girlfriend has a big family and a few of them are into numerous MLM's. They're the type of people who do well at them since they're willing to prey on their own family in order to make dozens of dollars. Early in our relationship my girlfriend was constantly broke after visiting her sister, aunt, or cousin, but we always had lots of spices, soap, and plastic dishes.

Eventually I realized that I didn't really have to be that nice to her family, and just started telling them "No." when they started their spiels, and my girlfriend got better at blaming me for not doing things her family wanted her to do. This has slowly extended to me just telling people "No." and asserting myself in all kinds of situations where you aren't really expected to.

Anyway, I knew a guy who briefly did door-to-door vacuum sales. His favorite part was talking to old people and getting to have cigarette breaks if he finished his route or whatever early. He eventually quit and was unemployed for a while and just chatted with his older neighbors and smoked cigarettes all day.

The_end
May 17, 2014
I worked for Rainbow vacuum cleaners in 2000 doing telemarketing. We would put up boxes in restaurants with pictures of a car that we were "giving away." People would register to win the car, but i would call and tell them about a vacation package they won. All they needed to do was have someone show them a vacuum cleaner and they would get 3 days 2 nights at a resort hotel of their choosing.

What they did not know is it was a high pressure sales to buy the Rainbow. The vacation package was to go listen to people talk about time shares. I do not think anyone ever won the car.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You can replace all the flooring in a modest house with laminate and tile and buy a leaf blower for under $4000. Just do that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wait so people literally sign contracts to buy vacuum cleaners on finance where they also have to flog more cleaners to get their 'discount'? Even if the whole operation was legit how on earth is a vacuum cleaner worth the hassle?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I already had an overpriced vacuum cleaner that I never used and then I bought another one which I regret!
Yeah that story reads like one of those e/n dating posts. 'At our coffee date he was really creepy, terrible hygiene and generally retarded. so then when he came on my tits that night...'

Your american mlms are so fancy. In the UK we just have guys selling fish out of the back of dirty unmarked vans.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait so people literally sign contracts to buy vacuum cleaners on finance where they also have to flog more cleaners to get their 'discount'? Even if the whole operation was legit how on earth is a vacuum cleaner worth the hassle?

dumb evangelical housewives are really, really dumb

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I sat through a 3 hour Kirby vacuum seminar one time.

I had just moved to a new state and needed a job, and this was advertised as a warehouse position. I hadn't actually ever heard of kirby at the time, and it was this huge secret of what everyone was there for, and it ended up being one of the most scummy things I've ever witnessed. After about 20 minutes of refusing to answer any questions and telling everyone he "Worked for Rupert Murdoch, a Billionaire. Who has billions of dollars. And owns a company that owns his company. He has billions you know. Because he is such a good businessman. I'm his representative here today" he dramatically reveals the Kirby signage. To the shock of most of the people who had no idea what the gently caress that was, six people got up and stormed straight out.

The guy launches into a 15 minute speech basically saying. "See? Those people are so close minded they won't even consider an opportunity. They immediately give up. Are you going to give up like that? Because you will get nowhere in life if you just throw up your hands and walk out at every opportunity"

over the next hour more people kept leaving, each time the guy yelling after them snide remarks, he even picked a couple unhappy looking people and berated them for not being enthusiastic (They ended up staying to the end)

He did the baking soda trick where some random rear end vacuum picks up none of the baking soda, but the Kirby just sucks it all up, impressing most of the remaining people. By the end of it he had a few 18-20 year olds convincing themselves this was the greatest business opportunity of a life time while the guy is "See? See how this opportunity is so great? People refuse to listen to the information.

He called each of the 25 people after the seminar and would berate you over the phone making you say "Yes, I want Opportunity" or "I don't need opportunities in life" at that point I just hung up on him and after googling the company had to convince my friend to not show up the next day because even though they promise

1) A company car
2) appointments set up for you so that you are just demonstrating for people already interested (Because so many people want the vacuums we need salesmen!!)

They just loaded you up in a dirty van and would drop you out in random neighborhoods all over the city every day. Holding these seminars weekly to find new rubes to carry around vacuums.

Edit: Also for everyone just saying "Tell them to go away, how hard is that, god :smug:" the guy was teaching people with role-play and literally advised people to stick their foots in doors, or fake emergencies or whatever they had to to actually get into a house, because "once you are in the house you are almost guaranteed to get through your sales pitch."

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 28, 2016

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i secretly enjoy reading ppls fb posts about their beloved MLM jobs in tyool 2k16

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A dumb old oval office at my previous job suckered the new naive girl in her shitass cosmetics MLM

The spiel raises so many red flags. "You see it's a matter of ambitions in life, do you want to make money ? I do" "I attended a class, now I'm expert level and I get 7% rebate on the product" "I only need to sign 10 other people into this handy website" "Minimum buy in is 250€" or some poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've gotten strangers just pushing their way into my car and telling me I need to drive them somewhere because its an emergency. I need to just sign up and become an Uber driver.

In some states, you're actually allowed to murder these people :black101:

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
A few years back, my buddy got a job at Kirby and figured out was a scam after 3 days. His mom went down to the office and quit for him.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it related to video game kirby which inhales its enemies too iirc ?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

A dumb old oval office at my previous job suckered the new naive girl in her shitass cosmetics MLM

The spiel raises so many red flags. "You see it's a matter of ambitions in life, do you want to make money ? I do" "I attended a class, now I'm expert level and I get 7% rebate on the product" "I only need to sign 10 other people into this handy website" "Minimum buy in is 250€" or some poo poo

Women empowering women

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
if I need something thoroughly sucked i'll just call your mom

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Edit: Also for everyone just saying "Tell them to go away, how hard is that, god :smug:" the guy was teaching people with role-play and literally advised people to stick their foots in doors, or fake emergencies or whatever they had to to actually get into a house, because "once you are in the house you are almost guaranteed to get through your sales pitch."

:bahgawd: This hyar is a castle doctrine state meanin if yew stick yore foot in mah door ahma shoot it off. I swear mister officer I was feelin threatened for mah lahf he coulda kilt me with that vacuum.

Like seriously though, remember the way the rape gang from A Clockwork Orange used to trick people into letting them into their houses? We should use that strategy to sell vacuum cleaners in a town full of gun-toting rednecks, there's absolutely nothing that could go wrong.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 28, 2016

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
my parents bought a kirby out of the warehouse or something 30 years ago for like $1500 and it still works better than any other vacuum

if something dinky on it breaks, like a plastic piece, they've always sent us a replacement piece for free

they're easy to fix yourself and most authorized repair places will show you how to fix it if you don't know how because these things never break and it's easier to just teach people if they do

they are great vacuums and carpet shampooers you can avoid the "sales" team

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

:bahgawd: This hyar is a castle doctrine state meanin if yew stick yore foot in mah door ahma shoot it off. I swear mister officer I was feelin threatened for mah lahf he coulda kilt me with that vacuum.

Counterpoint: When I was housesitting for my brother in Tacoma, someone knocked on the door and ducked to the side where I couldn't see him through the peephole. I was expecting a package from Amazon that day so I figured the mailman had knocked and left it on the welcome mat. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door and some scrawny guy with meth scars all over his face forces himself in the crack of the door, turns to the parking lot and yells "I got one!" then steps in ranting a thousand words a minute about how it was my lucky day. Did I drop away from the door and grab my purse/gun? You bet. Even after I chased him out at gunpoint, he and his driver/supervisor stood outside banging on the door and yelling until I called the cops. Not sure how true it is, but the officer who chased them off told me that the people who get hired are either naive kids or unemployable druggies and felons, and they get plenty of calls for door to door salespeople stealing, a decent amount for intimidating or beating up elderly people, and an occasional rape.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Next time a Kirby salesman comes to the door, I'm going to tell him to suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

id happily sell these door to door, i :love: them they're so cute!!!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Henry's gonna aspirate something if he's not careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

criscodisco posted:

Henry's gonna aspirate something if he's not careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmC62Eg82E8

• Locked thread