Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

pokecapn posted:

It's 30 minutes long so you can accurately relive the experience of falling into holes on the world's shittiest pinball tables over and over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1ywi-_fjE

Nah for me it's the first five seconds of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l74oGwarseg This music still haunts my nightmares because "gather 300 rings" as team Chaotix was really hard for child-me. Also because it sounds like a mouth harp and that's just too weird to forget.

And it's a shame it's this that sticks out, because for me there are high points to Heroes, loving Sky Fleet is one of the coolest levels they ever did, Hanging Castle and Rail Canyon were cool as well, even if it took until Spark 3 to have a really good realization of Rail Canyon's concept. The plot is also a good celebration of every game that came before it, the various Egg robots are well designed and mostly fun to fight. The game is brought down by it's core concept of "play the game 4 times for the final ending" which today is an insane requirement but was only mildly annoying when it came out.
Also Bullet Station's music kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Heroes was the first 3D Sonic game that truly disappointed me. It’s not unplayable and there were others later that disappointed me much more, but Heroes has a special place for cratering the high expectations me and my friends had from SA1/2.

it's this exactly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for those interested the IDW comic officially returns on May 15

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Heroes was the first 3D Sonic game that truly disappointed me. It’s not unplayable and there were others later that disappointed me much more, but Heroes has a special place for cratering the high expectations me and my friends had from SA1/2.

Yeah I’ll never understand what made them look at the winning formula they’d found in the Adventure games and decide “actually, let’s not do that again”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah I’ll never understand what made them look at the winning formula they’d found in the Adventure games and decide “actually, let’s not do that again”

They sort of tried to bring it back for 06 and the HD version of Unleashed but it didn’t work quite as well (though the former had Sonic Man and the latter had NPCs with colorful personalities at least)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

They were broke because they had to bail on the Dreamcast. Why do you think Heroes is so padded?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I remember reading an interview at some point that essentially said that Sonic Team doesn't want to keep making the same game over and over again, they want to try new things with the character and the gameplay, which is likely why they've been pivoting to something new every 3rd or 4th game. And I think it's clear when they're making a game the execs are pressuring them to make (Sonic Forces) versus something they're actually passionate about (Sonic Frontiers)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I mean heroes wasn’t that huge of a departure from adventure besides its One Neat Gimmick. It just wasn’t a very good game because it was made when the company was imploding.

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 4, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's also renderware as gently caress but so were a lot of games in that period

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the sonic heroes remake will be on par with the sonic colors remaster, snap out of it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isn't the colours remaster good now after a few patches?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Isn't the colours remaster good now after a few patches?

Aside from some longer load times yeah, most of the glitches were fixed pretty early on (Origins is also fine now except the Sonic 3 music still sucks)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

origins is still pointless when you can just play absolute/forever/air

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Relyssa posted:

origins is still pointless when you can just play absolute/forever/air

I'd argue Origins is probably more convenient for the most lazy, as well as being multi-platform and probably easier to set up on steam deck?

Also, Amy DLC if you're willing to pay a little extra, and a few of the other bonuses like mirror mode and the cutscenes.

Of course, if you already own the roms, then yeah, absolute/forever/air are probably better options if you want to do a little bit of the setup.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Being able to play the mobile versions of Sonic 1 & 2 with an actual controller is nice too (though it’s weird they took out the code that lets you play the beta version of Hidden Palace) and Amy’s kind of fun

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I'd argue Origins is probably more convenient for the most lazy, as well as being multi-platform and probably easier to set up on steam deck?

Also, Amy DLC if you're willing to pay a little extra, and a few of the other bonuses like mirror mode and the cutscenes.

Of course, if you already own the roms, then yeah, absolute/forever/air are probably better options if you want to do a little bit of the setup.

honestly the s3 music is a deal breaker for me on origins, it's just so much worse than the originals. if it wasn't for that I'd be a lot more willing to put up with origins

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fair, I heard there's a mod to change it back for what that's worth.

I feel like I go through sonic 3 so fast it doesn't bug me that much, and in Origins it ends up being really easy to have all emerald by that point too. It definitely feels a bit surreal hearing the "wrong" music though.

While it does feel a bit cheesy, I really do like the option to retry special stages in Origins. I'm bad enough at the ones in 1/2/CD that it's a real boon for me getting the good endings.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the replacement songs aren't bad but I hav no idea what they were thinking with the instrumentation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is there a particular reason why they had to change the music in Sonic 3 for Origins rather than at the very least just keeping the S3K tracks?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Fair, I heard there's a mod to change it back for what that's worth.

I feel like I go through sonic 3 so fast it doesn't bug me that much, and in Origins it ends up being really easy to have all emerald by that point too. It definitely feels a bit surreal hearing the "wrong" music though.

While it does feel a bit cheesy, I really do like the option to retry special stages in Origins. I'm bad enough at the ones in 1/2/CD that it's a real boon for me getting the good endings.

if i'm venturing into mod territory i may as well just use the roms and play the good versions tbh. i'd like to be able to play origins as just a boot up and play without any fuckery, and those songs just kill it for me every time

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Relyssa posted:

if i'm venturing into mod territory i may as well just use the roms and play the good versions tbh. i'd like to be able to play origins as just a boot up and play without any fuckery, and those songs just kill it for me every time
I feel like it's probably easier to install a single mod for music then it is to deal with some weird rom patcher then bumble through a big settings menu to figure exactly how you want Sonic3&K to be, but at the same time you're probably not wrong.

Larryb posted:

I forget, is there a particular reason why they had to change the music in Sonic 3 for Origins rather than at the very least just keeping the S3K tracks?
Given its the Jackson-involved tracks it's probably a legal/rights issue. Pretty popular speculation that we've seen so few rereleases of S3&K is because they probably have some clause that doesn't let them reuse those tracks unless it's a basically unmodified version of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

It's never been 100% confirmed but likely has something to do with either issues with Michael Jackson's estate or the fact that they came out during one of the periods where accusations against Jackson were flying fast and furious and they didn't want to risk association with him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I was under the impression they’d already changed that and got rid of a lot of the Jackson tracks back when Sonic & Knuckles first came out (the original S3 has different music in the first few zones than 3K does)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Larryb posted:

Huh, I was under the impression they’d already changed that and got rid of a lot of the Jackson tracks back when Sonic & Knuckles first came out (the original S3 has different music in the first few zones than 3K does)

I think the only music differences between S3 and S3&K are invincibility, Knuckle's Theme and Mini/Act1 Boss.

The PC version of S3&K had the beta/non "Jackson" tracks though. Namely Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base. (I think the S3 credits track was also one?)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah the Sonic 3 credits got changed, the original version sounds a bit like Stranger in Moscow.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's not actually about Jackson or his estate. It's Jackson's sound team like Brad Buxer who entered litigation in the 2010s.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I have Origins because it's the only way to play S3&K on my Switch AFAIK

The lovely music is the price I pay for being very lazy

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Why do you think Heroes is so padded?

Bad level design.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1775553851950497826

That's $25 of food (5 pancoins) for the costume. Switch/Xbox/PS5+4 only. New accounts get 5 free coins for signing up and making a first purchase.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Aren't Absolute and Forever the retro engine ports for mobile, recompiled and hacked to run on PC? They're basically homebrewed versions of the 1 and 2 in Origins.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1775553851950497826

That's $25 of food (5 pancoins) for the costume. Switch/Xbox/PS5+4 only. New accounts get 5 free coins for signing up and making a first purchase.

Cowards, do the hooters promo again

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

Cowards, do the hooters promo again

But Rouge isn't a Classic character

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bring back Honey, in a Hooters shirt.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Vinylshadow posted:

But Rouge isn't a Classic character

who gives a poo poo about rouge

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gently caress it, Hooters outfits for everyone

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm gonna make a bold claim and say if they are actually remaking sonic heroes the camera will be marginally improved

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

is this trying to say that shadow's rear end is dlc

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I'm gonna make a bold claim and say if they are actually remaking sonic heroes the camera will be marginally improved

My memory of that Heroes is that it's the first one where the camera is rarely if ever a problem.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

...Argument rescinded
Carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dabir posted:

My memory of that Heroes is that it's the first one where the camera is rarely if ever a problem.

The only thing I still remember about actually playing Heroes is one of the team dark missions that ends with you running up the inside of a big cylindrical silo as it fills with lava or whatever, and there's a point where every time I'd do the homing attack it'd lock onto something 90 degrees from where I was facing and fling the character directly towards the camera and to their death, every single time