Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rocketlex posted:

Xbox gets Spawn.

Naw man how could you forget?

Sonic will hear a vacuum rumbling as a figure emerges from the rubble. It's Blinx the Time Sweeper, come to fight for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Geostomp posted:

So I guess this is the new general thread.

So far the thing I like most about the 2017 Generations game is that it makes Eggman out as a much bigger threat without the need of some cosmic monster or what have you.

An Eggman from the future voiced by Jim Cummings turns out to be behind the events of the game.

poo poo actually, now I'm actually wondering how a big a chance characters from the expanded universe have to show up in this game. Like what if the resistance is made up of various lovely friends from the comics and cartoons?

Where does Chris Thorndyke fit into all this?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I think we mentioned Ken Penders too many times during all this renewed Sonic hype because he has risen again in the form of asserting his copyright against Archie and SEGA.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Actually reading further into it it looks like it's not entirely his doing, like at all. But he suspects he'll be involved because he spurred on some freelancers to take action a while ago.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kikas posted:

This is like the 4th time I've seen those images this week and they still don't make any more sense :psyduck:

You have the Power Cosmic, the Speed Force, and then Titan Tails who dwarfs both of those concepts combined.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

beep by grandpa posted:

I was disappointed with the Sonic Boom Mix in generations cause it just builds up & builds up...with no pay-off at all :/ if it were an actual full song I would have played every single speedrun side mission to it :sigh:

I don't think a bunch of music is even playable in the sound test, like no side-mission only songs or the various menu ditties. Just the songs you unlock as you go.

You couldn't just listen to that one where they sampled the Sega Saturn promo ad whenever you wanted.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Speaking of music as awesome as the Sonic stuff in Lego Dimensions looks I'm at least a little bit bummed after watching this that someone didn't want to/couldn't pay Nakamura for the Sonic 1 (and probably 2?) stuff. Or maybe my hearing is real bad and they are using the Green Hill Zone theme but like, some slightly off version of the original theme.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/tracker_td/status/821372144579911684

I hope you're happy Ken.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mikedawson posted:

Honestly I feel like the fandom and everything that comes with it have toned down over the course of this decade. Most Sonic fans I've encountered have either been very earnest but not really weird, or shitpost-y about it.

I mean, there's still some strange things, but you really have to look for them.

Other, newer fandoms surpassing it on the weird/NSFW scale probably helped out a lot in that regard.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ronnie posted:

Bring back Michael Jackson! ...oh wait... Bring back the guy who wrote songs for Dreams Come True!

They already have to pay that dude royalties every time they use classic Green Hill Zone music, to the point I would believe that the constant use of Seaside Hill imagery and music over the past decade was deliberate in an attempt to make it the standard visual people think of when they think of "First Sonic Level" instead of using Green Hill Zone assets.

Because otherwise you'd expect the classic music to go with the classic level.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Why can't they just use Emerald Hill instead?

I think the Dreams Come True guy also did the music for that and the rest (?) of Sonic 2 as well.

And Sonic 3's soundtrack is just a minefield nobody at SEGA wants to attempt to cross outside of like the first stage and some other tracks.

Like any HD remake in the same vein as CD or 2 would have to use like, the PC Sonic 3 soundtrack or an all new one instead.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm willing to bet the 3rd character is going to be an OC that you create.

It's really starting to feel like this is going to be the case once we put all the "It's Bubsy!" stuff aside.

How deep can they actually make a character creator for a game like this though? Is every OC going to have to look proportionally similar to Sonic? Does your OC need to inherently run fast?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

This was probably an actual thing in the Archie Comics at one point to be fair.

Like wasn't there an issue where the entire story was told in reverse or something?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Is Archie even doing well these days? Like if the reason the comic has been put on hold/put to bed is that Archie can't actually pay the licensing fee anymore than something bad must have happened.

Did that CW Archie show they funded turn out okay?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

That concept art reminds me; I hope there's a cavalcade of various Eggmen and Robotniks that make up the boss encounters this time around.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It takes forever to get a seat at the Berserk Cafe, even if you got a ticket at the earliest time possible.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so Sonic Runners Adventure released early in Russia of all places and

For some reason the game looks worse than the first Sonic Runners, I guess in part to the fact they scrapped the shading style they used the first time around.

Maybe the game's not done yet and they'll add it in later?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol @ Silver being there.

Silver and Blaze don't even know nor care what they're doing here anymore. They're unstuck in time and space and just go along with whatever happens.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Shinjobi posted:

Ken Penders should die now, his source of power finally extinguished.

This will only make him more powerful.

Soon the -Su will unleash their revenge on the world.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Of loving course he's treating it as some kind of victory.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/887817034796486656

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kurieg posted:

And then everybody hugged infinite and they all got super pregnant.

This is a actually the ending to the Sonic/Watchmen crossover set to happen when DC gets the Sonic license.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I want them to make Super Eggman cannon.

It turns out his excess weight is just like weighted clothing...only it's fat.

That's why he can outrun Sonic. He's been training for decades.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Three Days Later.

He is risen.

https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zelder posted:

Ken Penders is back, baby

Penders will now proceed to pursue litigation against everyone working in comics, the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and Morgan Freeman himself just to make sure.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I have "canonical" evidence of Donkey Kong hanging out with Crash via the last Skylanders game having the ability to have both of them on-screen at once and that is something that can never be taken away.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Frankston posted:

Have they confirmed the most pressing matter yet? Is Hyper Sonic back??

We have to go beyond Hyper.

Super.

Sonic.

BLUE.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is why Sonic has a mono-eye instead of two separate ones.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Why are they drawing Sonic wearing clothes?

Clothes only slow him down.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Free(?) Launch DLC for your Forces OC:

quote:

As for what’s included, you’ll receive costume DLC for the custom avatar. Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS into Dreams, Super Monkey Ball, and Puyo Puyo Tetris will be represented. Two other franchises will be featured as well. Four postcards with concept art from the game are also included.

For your OC that suffers from an ailment that requires them to be in a mobile protective bubble.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ventana posted:

omw

edit: new spoiler stream up at a different spot here

edit: new new link here

TJ Yoshi can't save him forever.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mr Phillby posted:

It's less that he liked Sonic 4 and more that he wrote a poo poo smear of an article childlishly attacking people who disagreed with his assesment.

Also during that same time he poo-poo'd Sonic Colors which I feel only compounded the issue for some.

Like there's a lot of people who liked Colors and hated Sonic 4, as well a good amount of people who liked/disliked both titles.

But liking Sonic 4 while calling Sonic Colors the "soulless mediocrity" and then goading people with that distinction with an article or two is a very...unique viewpoint.

By the way, the lowest scoring Sonic Mania review I've seen so far (6) is by the same guy from Slant Magazine who gave BOTW a 6, who I immediately remember not necessarily because of that score, but because during the discourse surrounding his review someone asked him "Are you like the Armond White of video games?" and he took it as a compliment. He said Armond White was a huge inspiration to him as a media critic.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Someone out there is probably still angry that GamesMaster gave Sonic 2 a 65 for being too much like Sonic 1 and too easy way, way back in the day.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Is that the same Sonic mascot costume from last year?

Is it the same person in the costume from last year? Somebody let them out please!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
How long exactly has Sonic Team been working on Forces at this point development-wise? Like Lost World came out in 2013 so that's around four years maybe they've had time to at least think about the prospects of the future of 3D Sonic?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought that was Eggman's shtick?

Wait for the cut-scene where Tails realizes that they (as members of the resistance) are no better than the Eggman Empire and refuses to create machines and gadgets meant to be used as tools of war anymore.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kurieg posted:

Every one of those except for eggman is terrifying.

Eggman looks fukkin' pissed that he's a Funko Pop.

At least these look better than the Sonic ones that came out like half a decade ago or so I think.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zelder posted:

Sonic forces being bad isn't that shocking after all the footage and stuff but it's kind of impressive that sonic team managed to take a slam dunk idea like "sonic generations, but more of that" and cock it up somehow

Hey now, they did manage to add in an anti-frustration feature.

Unless it turns out Sonic forcing himself back into the center will eventually lead to frustration. Like if it fucks up his pathing or something at some point.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
No no the player is making Sonic dodge all those attacks.

It's just that...y'know he's too fast.

For the naked eye.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I wonder how fast people are going to be able to categorize exactly what percentage of assets in the game were ripped from previous games to save on time.

Like yeah there's certainly nothing inherently wrong with a new entry in a series reusing assets from a previous one that happens in pretty much every franchise.

But you look at the Egg Dragoon and think...of all the things to copy and paste into the game you chose the something you already included as a callback in Generations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ultimately, I still don't think it comes down to Sonic Team not getting Sonic. It comes down to the fact that Sonic Team is not really a consistent group of people with a unified vision of what Sonic is, and even with mainstays like Iizuka, each game effectively has a different vision despite using many of the same elements. When you have an approach that works, and you hand it off again and again, things either get watered down or build off frustrating elements that weren't in previous titles, and get built up by people who don't quite understand them, or they evolve in a different direction.

This isn't always a negative. Look at Colors, Unleashed, and Generations. All "boost style" games, but they play very differently and have different approaches to level design, because they were different teams approaching the same ideas. But sometimes you get stuff like the Adventure series eventually turning into Heroes and ShtH, and while those titles aren't AS awful (but are still pretty flawed) as much as people say, they definitely either streamlined or undermined a lot of what was good about Adventure-style Sonic gameplay in much the same way Forces is doing here.

This game has a good lesson to teach to kids still in school.

Don't think you can make something great (or even good) when your assignment is due on Monday, it's Sunday night and your group has only now started doing actual work. I'm not saying Sonic Team is deliberately at fault here when it comes to the dev-time versus the deadline, just that from what we know now it probably never would have worked out well.

Like I'm going off of when they said last year at that Live Sonic Event that this game had only just started real development and we didn't know what to make of that information at the time. I'm not remembering that wrong am I?